Finding Books about our lands and people

  • bill tarkulich
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2004
      Noreen brings up a great resource that we should probably take a minute
      or two to discuss.

      Most public (and university) libaries belong to a consortium, which
      allows book borrowing between members. You'd be suprised what you can
      find. Now, coupled with online card catalog searches (find your local
      library's web site and get your library card) you can search the entire
      consortium's network. I find this to be much simpler than asking a
      local librarian (who knows nothing about our people or region) to
      assist. Then again, a research librarian at a large city (NY city
      public library has an awesome collection) or academic library can be a
      wealth of knowledge, but they are often so busy it's hard to get time
      with them.

      I have even found that searching private and University library catalogs
      can be useful. For example, Harvard University (near me) has an
      excellent Slavic Studies program and collection. It's restricted to
      University staff and students. So I then get creative and found a
      neighbor who is affiliated. He borrowed the book for me - research
      loans like this can generally be kept for three to six months, depending
      on the library policy.

      This gives me an opportunity to check out the book, and if I want it in
      my permanent collection, I then proceed to buy it.

      When I can't find it in a library (or I'm too lazy), I can often find
      really inexpensive books at abebooks (there are others too, like
      elibris.com) and I just buy it.

      I'd love to hear other people's tips for ferreting out the material and
      places they have found them.

      Bill