Re: [S-R] More on Emily Greene Balch

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2004
      Hi Andrea,
      Our library system can order a copy of "Our Fellow Slavic Citizens" and I
      requested it. I am looking forward to reading it. It may present a perspective
      which we do not usually come across, especially as you mention, the sections
      on Austria Hungary.
      thanks for the information.
      Noreen

    • bill tarkulich
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2004
        Noreen brings up a great resource that we should probably take a minute
        or two to discuss.

        Most public (and university) libaries belong to a consortium, which
        allows book borrowing between members. You'd be suprised what you can
        find. Now, coupled with online card catalog searches (find your local
        library's web site and get your library card) you can search the entire
        consortium's network. I find this to be much simpler than asking a
        local librarian (who knows nothing about our people or region) to
        assist. Then again, a research librarian at a large city (NY city
        public library has an awesome collection) or academic library can be a
        wealth of knowledge, but they are often so busy it's hard to get time
        with them.

        I have even found that searching private and University library catalogs
        can be useful. For example, Harvard University (near me) has an
        excellent Slavic Studies program and collection. It's restricted to
        University staff and students. So I then get creative and found a
        neighbor who is affiliated. He borrowed the book for me - research
        loans like this can generally be kept for three to six months, depending
        on the library policy.

        This gives me an opportunity to check out the book, and if I want it in
        my permanent collection, I then proceed to buy it.

        When I can't find it in a library (or I'm too lazy), I can often find
        really inexpensive books at abebooks (there are others too, like
        elibris.com) and I just buy it.

        I'd love to hear other people's tips for ferreting out the material and
        places they have found them.

        Bill