Our Slavic Fellow Citizens

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2004
      I just got a copy of the book Our Slavic Fellow Citizens from the cobwebbed cellars of the Main Library in Tacoma. It was written in 1910 by a Emily Greene Balch, who was a Wellesley gal (student or prof, I don't know) representing a charity outfit with their own agenda. Not that I am criticizing. It's interesting what a hot topic central/eastern European immigration was in this country in the decades before WWI. I have picked up some old middle and high school textbooks and recommend them, if you can stand to see how much less literate we have become since the 1920's. Citizenship and the perils and struggles of immigration were common themes of essays in these schoolbooks.

      Anyway, the work by Balch, which has been excerpted and published on the Web, is most fascinating and contains a number of great photographs. She toured around Slovakia and other Slavic homelands as well as making the rounds of some immigrant communities in the U.S. The book is a great achievement and well worth anyone's time. I plan a careful read of the sections pertaining to Austria-Hungary in particular.