Re: [S-R] OT -- Food Related -- Canning

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
      Dear Caye,

      If you are using the "original" Ball - Kerr (Mason)
      jar lids. The flat insert is mean to be discarded.
      Use something like a spatula or butter knife an insert
      it between the lid and jar. You should hear a hiss as
      vacuum is filled. Be sure to keep what ever you have
      canned in the refrigerator after you have opened the
      jar.

      The thin flat lid should be thrown away because the
      very fine rubber seal will be destroyed after you have
      opened it. A box of the sealing lids doesn't cost
      very much, Ithink it works out to about 7 cents a lid.

      Dr. "Q"

      http://vote.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2004
        I just use a can opener - the old pry type. There is enough of a lip on the
        lid to grab onto. Since you're going to throw it away anyhow, it doesn't
        really matter if you bend it a bit.
        Bill

        I made a batch-o-this yesterday -- my neighbor
        actually asked me what's cookin . . . smelled so
        delicious -- used a combo of Honey Crisp and Empire
        apples -- both are tart-crisp-juicy -- so figured
        they'd hold up to one hour of simmering. Since the
        recipe was EXACTLY 6 quarts, I didn't have any left
        over to try -- although the pickle juice was amazing.
        Again thanks for the recipe.

        Does anyone have any tricks/hints/clues as to how to
        get a Ball/Kerr jar open once yer ready to sample your
        "Beckey Homecky" skills? Read a ton about home
        canning, but so far, nothing about what tool to use to

        --- Bratgirl54@... wrote:

        > Here's a recipe my grandmother used a few times.
        > Though we are Slovak, I'm
        > not sure if the recipe is. Enjoy!
        >

        > Green Tomato and Apple Pickle
        > Ingredients:
        > 1-1/2 gallon green tomatoes, chopped
        > 1/3 cup salt
        > 1 large onion
        > 2 quart chopped apples
        > 1 bunch celery, chopped
        > 2 teaspoon mustard seed
        > 1 teaspoon cinnamon
        > 1 teaspoon cloves
        > 1 teaspoon allspice
        > 2 pound sugar
        > 1 quart vinegar
        >
        > Instructions:
        > Sprinkle the salt over the chopped tomatoes and let
        > stand overnight. In the
        > morning, drain and add chopped onion, celery and
        > apples. Mix spices with the
        > sugar and add vinegar. Add liquid to pickle mixture
        > and simmer slowly for 1
        > hour. Pack into hot jars and seal.

        > removed]

        Yahoo! Groups Links