Re: [S-R] OT -- Food Related -- Canning

  • Jan Ammann
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
      Hi Caye....Take a dinner knife.......nothing too sharp........and fit it under the "very tiny edge of the lid" and put your thumb on the lid right next to where the dinner knife is and gently pry it up while putting some pressure on your thumb.. It does work. However, I have done it for too many years so I am fairly good at doing it. It just takes practice.

      And NO........do not use the lid again. The rubber has been used and they are so inexpensive its not worth the risk of having a jar go bad. Good luck. Remember, don't use a real sharp knife.

      Aloysia

      Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

      I made a batch-o-this yesterday -- my neighbor
      actually asked me what's cookin . . . smelled so
      delicious -- used a combo of Honey Crisp and Empire
      apples -- both are tart-crisp-juicy -- so figured
      they'd hold up to one hour of simmering. Since the
      recipe was EXACTLY 6 quarts, I didn't have any left
      over to try -- although the pickle juice was amazing.
      Again thanks for the recipe.

      Does anyone have any tricks/hints/clues as to how to
      get a Ball/Kerr jar open once yer ready to sample your
      "Beckey Homecky" skills? Read a ton about home
      canning, but so far, nothing about what tool to use to
      open the lids -- I'm guessing since you cannot reuse
      them, maybe an old fashioned pointy can opener might
      work, but if anyone has a better trick, I'd appreciate
      that.

      Caye

      --- Bratgirl54@... wrote:

      > Here's a recipe my grandmother used a few times.
      > Though we are Slovak, I'm
      > not sure if the recipe is. Enjoy!
      >

      > Green Tomato and Apple Pickle
      > Ingredients:
      > 1-1/2 gallon green tomatoes, chopped
      > 1/3 cup salt
      > 1 large onion
      > 2 quart chopped apples
      > 1 bunch celery, chopped
      > 2 teaspoon mustard seed
      > 1 teaspoon cinnamon
      > 1 teaspoon cloves
      > 1 teaspoon allspice
      > 2 pound sugar
      > 1 quart vinegar
      >
      > Instructions:
      > Sprinkle the salt over the chopped tomatoes and let
      > stand overnight. In the
      > morning, drain and add chopped onion, celery and
      > apples. Mix spices with the
      > sugar and add vinegar. Add liquid to pickle mixture
      > and simmer slowly for 1
      > hour. Pack into hot jars and seal.

      > removed]

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor [input] [input] [input] [input] [input] Select Your State:AlabamaAlaskaArkansasArizonaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMissippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew MexicoNew JerseyNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOklahomaOhioOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWashington D.C.West VirginiaWisconsinWyoming

      PurchaseRefinance

      [input]

    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
        Dear Caye,

        If you are using the "original" Ball - Kerr (Mason)
        jar lids. The flat insert is mean to be discarded.
        Use something like a spatula or butter knife an insert
        it between the lid and jar. You should hear a hiss as
        vacuum is filled. Be sure to keep what ever you have
        canned in the refrigerator after you have opened the
        jar.

        The thin flat lid should be thrown away because the
        very fine rubber seal will be destroyed after you have
        opened it. A box of the sealing lids doesn't cost
        very much, Ithink it works out to about 7 cents a lid.

        Dr. "Q"

        http://vote.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2004
          I just use a can opener - the old pry type. There is enough of a lip on the
          lid to grab onto. Since you're going to throw it away anyhow, it doesn't
          really matter if you bend it a bit.
          Bill

          --- Bratgirl54@... wrote:

          > Here's a recipe my grandmother used a few times.
          > Though we are Slovak, I'm
          > not sure if the recipe is. Enjoy!
          >

          > Green Tomato and Apple Pickle
          > Ingredients:
          > 1-1/2 gallon green tomatoes, chopped
          > 1/3 cup salt
          > 1 large onion
          > 2 quart chopped apples
          > 1 bunch celery, chopped
          > 2 teaspoon mustard seed
          > 1 teaspoon cinnamon
          > 1 teaspoon cloves
          > 1 teaspoon allspice
          > 2 pound sugar
          > 1 quart vinegar
          >
          > Instructions:
          > Sprinkle the salt over the chopped tomatoes and let
          > stand overnight. In the
          > morning, drain and add chopped onion, celery and
          > apples. Mix spices with the
          > sugar and add vinegar. Add liquid to pickle mixture
          > and simmer slowly for 1
          > hour. Pack into hot jars and seal.

          > removed]

          Yahoo! Groups Links