Re: Bretka, Gomor Reformed Church

  • Helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
      In a message dated 2/4/0 9:41:01 PM, twosocks@... writes:

      << "Reformed Church Parish Registers" means in regard to the village of
      Brekta, Gomor, Slovakia. Which Church would this be? >>

      Lutheran - usually called Evangelical over there.

      helene
    • Lisa Rhea Baker
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
        Thanks Helene,

        Is anyone familiar with this village? would there also have been a Greek or
        Roman Catholic church?

        I'm trying to determine if this is the correct location for my grandfather
        who in the 1920 census said he was from Beretski, Austria, and his native
        tongue was Slovak.

        I've narrowed it down to a couple villages but thought he was Catholic.

        Lisa Rhea Trimbath Baker
        twosocks@...
        http://www.koan.com/~twosocks/genealogy.html
      • John
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
          >who in the 1920 census said he was from Beretski, Austria, and his native
          >tongue was Slovak.
          >
          >I've narrowed it down to a couple villages but thought he was Catholic.
          >Lisa Rhea Trimbath Baker

          Lisa have you tried
          using http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm to locate
          Beretski? Have you applied for his Social Security records and if he
          became a naturalized citizen, his Declaration of Intent, you may find
          additional information.

          John

          John
        • Lisa Rhea Baker
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
            Thanks John,

            Yes, I've tried the Shtetl Seeker, I've got 9 possible towns.

            Unfortunately, my grandfather was never naturalized. (I've checked for
            records)

            Got a copy of his SS5 and on it he said he was born in Haston, Cambria,
            Pennsylvania. No records there either.

            He's a tough one, in 1917 on his marriage license he states he was born in
            Austria and his mother's maiden name was Medleck. Then in 1920 on the census
            he gives a birthplace of Beretski, Austria. In 1936 when he applied for his
            social security number he gives a birthplace of Haston, Cambia, Pennsylvania
            and his mothers maiden name is now Vaingar.

            AHHHH! I guess if it was easy it wouldn't be as much fun, right?

            Thanks for the tips

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
              In a message dated 2/5/0 2:27:10 AM, twosocks@... writes:

              << Is anyone familiar with this village? would there also have been a Greek or

              Roman Catholic church? >>

              The atlas shows only one church for Bretka but 2 kilometers southeast is
              Gemerska Panica and that shows 2 churches! Also C~oltovo is a half km from
              Bretka and that shows a church too.

              helene
            • Maura Petzolt
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
                Just a guess.... but are you -sure- that you have the correct SS-5 form?

                Usually, I'd say the marriage record, because it's a primary source
                material would be correct, but SS-5's are sometimes considered primary
                also. Censuses are never considered primary as you cannot be sure if the
                person himself gave the information (lots of times if the family wasn't
                there they asked the neighbors for example).

                Ss-5's are fairly reliable -- which is why I wonder if you are sure you
                got the right one. If you are, consider the possibility that he gave
                false information on it.

                example -- paperwork on my Irish gr/grandfather in Bridgeport CT all
                indicate "Ireland" as place of birth on marriage and children's birth
                papers. After a certain number of years here tho, he just up and changed
                that to "born in NYC" on all other legal papers, including registration
                for WW1. I'm told this is something common among immigrants in the late
                1800's when they wanted so much to "belong" here, and maybe in view of
                some discrimination they felt towards them.

              • Lisa Rhea Baker
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2000
                  Hope the list will bear with me as I tell this tale.

                  My grandfather who died as Charles Trimbath in 1987 has a very confusing
                  past.

                  My Aunts say their father told them he and his parents came to the United
                  States when he was a small boy. (I have narrowed this down to between the
                  years 1895-1908). They lived in Smock, Franklin Township, Fayette, PA.
                  Charles's father Frank (name taken from marriage license) worked in the Coal
                  mines. During this time (1895-1908) Frank was involved in fight over a poker
                  game in a bar, he was shot and killed. Charles told his daughters it was a
                  bar in Republic and even pointed it out to them. Frank was buried in a
                  cemetery in New Salem, Menallen Township, PA. My Aunt says her father took
                  her and her older brother to his grave when they were young. (I've looked at
                  the cemeteries in New Salem but not found anything)

                  Charles mother, now a widow, decided to return the "old country" with her
                  son. They left the United States. When Charles was about 14 or 15, his
                  mother sent him back to the United States alone. She had corresponded with
                  the woman who ran the boarding house in Smock where they had lived before.
                  Charles was to stay with her and find work.

                  My Aunts say he told them he lived with this woman when he first returned to
                  the United States. He began working in the coal mines. At this point what
                  his real name was is lost, according to the story it was here he was told,
                  "okay Charlie Trimbath, you can work for us." I have researched the name
                  Trimbath, it is English, and the Trimbath's in Fayette Country are from
                  Cornwall, England. Eventually Charles met the older brothers of my
                  grandmother. He was introduced to my grandmother Mary Bookshar and they were
                  married.

                  I have a copy of their marriage license from 1917, on this document Charles
                  listed his
                  age as 21, his birthplace as Austria. His father is listed as Frank
                  Trembath -deceased, his mother as Annie Medleck -housekeeper, they were both
                  born in Austria. My Aunts recall him saying his mothers name was something
                  like Miller but not quite that.

                  In the 1920 census I found Charles and Mary in Tower Hill #1, Fayette
                  County, PA. Here he is listed as "Charley Trembitz" age 25, birthplace
                  Beretski, Austria, his citizenship status is listed as Alien, his native
                  tongue is Slovak.

                  In December 1936, Charles Trimbath applied for a social security number, he
                  listed his birthdate as Dec 31, 1895 (my Aunts say he never knew his real
                  birthdate so he choose the last day of the year). He listed his birthplace
                  as Haston, Cambria, PA. His father was listed as Frank Trimbath, his mother
                  Anna Vaingar. I know this is the right SS5 because of the address, they
                  lived in Tower Hill #1 their entire lives. The house a double, was purchased
                  from the mines and was sold just a few years ago following my grandmothers
                  death. A search of birthrecords from Haston, Cambria, PA turned up nothing,
                  no record of him there.

                  The family is Roman Catholic on my grandmothers side and attended Holy
                  Rosary Church in Republic, Fayette, PA. My Aunts say they celebrated
                  Christmas Eve Mass twice, once on December 24 with their mother and then
                  they would walk to the nearby town of New Salem to Celebrate the
                  Greek/Orthodox/Byzantine (sorry I still get those mixed up) Christmas Eve
                  Mass with their father. There is an Orthodox and a Byzantine Church in New
                  Salem. I tried to locate records at both and checked both cemeteries with no
                  luck.

                  I also have copies of Charles's mine workers records. They show the mines he
                  worked for and when. They were used when he applied for his pension. The
                  earliest record is from 1915 and is an affidavit of a person who worked with
                  Charles and first became acquainted with him in May 1915.

                  When Charles applied for his pension in 1956 he again listed his father as
                  Frank Trimbath and his mother as Anna Medleck.

                  Basically, I am stuck as were else to go with is search. When I was in
                  Pennsylvania last year, I searched for naturalization records-zero, death
                  records for Frank-zero, Church and Cemetery records-zero. I even tromped
                  around in the old cemeteries looking at headstone, many were missing or not
                  readable.

                  This why I have begun trying to locate possible location for Beretski,
                  Austria, especially looking for Greek Catholic records, since this seems to
                  be the religion of the family.

                  I hope everyone has borne with me through this tale, I know I'm not the only
                  one out there with a difficult ancestor. Sometimes it just helps to talk it
                  out. Thanks for bearing with me.

                  :-)

                • frankur@att.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 6, 2000
                    The LDS filmed the Lutheran church registers for Bretka, Slovakia;
                    formerly Beretke, G�m�r Megye, Hungary (1792-1904)
                    Text in Hungarian.
                    Film 2006424

                    The LDS filmed the R.C. for Ples^ivec, Slovakia; formerly Pelsocz,
                    G�m�r Megye, Hungary (1825-1895) including records for Bretka.
                    Text in Hungarian.
                    Film 1981409, 1981410