Re: [S-R] Slovak Family Traditions

  • Jan Ammann
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hello Mr. Brna........Thank you for remembering what I remember. And, like you, I don't remember exactly when it changed. Yes, we were always dressed up. Daddy in a suit with all the accessories and a hat. My mother and my two sisters were equally done up in fou-fou-frilly type dresses with hats and gloves. Yes, gloves. The hats were usually the "bowler" type for us children with a ribbon hanging down the back part of the hat and touching our shoulders. Mother, however, had a more sedate hat....usually that sat on the top of her head and sometimes they came down on the sides. They were made of straw or velvet or some other fancy fabric........however, they all had a net that could be pulled down over the face.

      Yes, it was a fine tradition. And sometimes I wish we could ressurect it, at least for one Sunday. Our shoes were called Baby Janes with a strap across the top and we had one in black patent leather and one in white patent leather. We shined them with vaseline. I smile when I think of it now. My mother used to braid my hair so tight that I believe that is why I have big eyes. I looked perpetually startled. And if I dared to whimper as she braided she would just pull those braids tighter. Sometimes, we even polished our nails with polish. Nothing bright or glaring........a soft rose or pink. However, because my sister was the oldest, she always got away with fire engine red nails and toes.

      On Saturday night, mother would line up three enamel bowls of water on a bench either on the back porch (summertime) or in the kitchen when it was winter. The first bowl was where we leaned over and washed our hair. The second bowl was water to rinse the soap off. And the third bowl was also water to rinse but with a touch of vinegar added. I think that probably stripped off the last of the soap suds and our hair literally squeaked. Sometimes all three of us used the same bowls of water.

      And when bathing (in a #3 washtub) we also sometimes bathed after each other. Water had to be pumped and carried to the house and heated on the kerosene stove so we had to make do. We also did everything in birth order. My elder sister went first, then me, and finally, our baby sister. I often laugh and tease her because she has an olive skin whereas my older sister and I have a fair skin. I tell her it was because she had to end up using "the somewhat dirty water" and that is why she has the darker skin. Also, the darkest hair.

      I am sure this must sound strange to someone reading this who did not grow up in this type of environment but it was a wonderful way of life. The forties were war years and it was hard to make a living as farmers which our family was. As I grow older, I think of it more often and some of these lists do bring these memories back.

      I ask forgiveness of list members who may not consider this proper on a genealogy list, however, it was a family custom......how we lived.......what we did........and, of course, family is genealogy. So the circle becomes complete.

      Thank you for giving me this chance to reminisce.

      Aloysia

      William F Brna <wfbrna@...> wrote:
      I well remember the days when the men and women sat on opposite sides of
      the church. The women (and children) sat on the left, facing the Blessed
      Virgin's statue , and the men sat on the right, facing St. Joseph's
      statue. This was the custom, not only in the Slovak parish, but in the
      "Irish" parish where our family attended mass, when it was not convenient
      to travel to the Slovak parish (a seven mile trip). I also remember that
      everyone, men and women, dressed in their "Sunday best" when they went to
      mass. Not only did the men wear a suit, white shirt and tie, but they
      also wore hats. I don't know when the custom of sitting on opposite
      sides of the church was abandoned, but, as I recall, it was a gradual
      change.

      Bill Brna

      On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 09:32:18 -0700 (PDT) Jan Ammann
      <janammann@...> writes:

      > Hello Everyone.....I have read this post with great interest. And
      > would like to ask a question about ethnic/religious traditions or
      > customs. My background is Moravian, Austrian-Hungarian, and German.
      > I am catholic and as a child when we went to church as a family,
      > the men all sat on the right hand side and the women and children
      > sat on the left hand side. This would be in the 1940's here in
      > Texas. It then changed throughtout the years but I am not sure of
      > the change date. Of course, my parents and my grandparents and aunts
      > and uncles all spoke Moravian as did we children in those days. My
      > grandmother would always say "Ti se Moravian" (no accent marks as
      > they mess up the email sometimes) when someone would say we were
      > czech or bohemian. She was very firm about this. To her, I suppose,
      > being called something other than Moravian was not proper. We were
      > all raised to be proud of our Moravian heritage. Of course, we all
      > learned english also and by the time we went to school,
      > moravian was ignored by all of us children and the older members of
      > the family only spoke in moravian to each other. We even prayed in
      > Moravian in our country church. We actually switched between latin
      > and Moravian. The Our Father and Hail Mary was always in Moravian.
      >
      > This also was a country parish which was rather small. I can still
      > remember the church with its white beadboard walls.......its
      > beautiful gothic shaped stained windows which opened to the outside
      > (no AC in those days). Sometimes, birds flew across the altar and
      > we even saw mice scattering across the wooden floor at times. The
      > statues were magnificent and they are the very same ones that are in
      > the catholic church (polish community) where I attend today.
      >
      > We had lent.........we had ember days.........so much that is no
      > longer. Of course, Lent is still in the church but the ember days
      > are gone. The mass was in latin as were our prayer books.
      > Also,,,,,when my older sister was married (early 1950's) the priest
      > came to the house in the early morning. My mother draped a white
      > sheet on the walls in one corner of our small living room and my
      > sister, in her wedding dress, and her husband to be, kneeled there,
      > surrounded by the parents, the priest in the corner facing them. He
      > gave a blessing to the couple and to the parents. Then, he went
      > back to the church where we all followed later on. I am supposing
      > that this also came over from the old country. I have never seen
      > this blessing enacted since that day. It, too, has disappeared.
      >
      > So, this post brought back a lot of memories for me. But I do hope
      > someone can comment on the way we sat in the church. I am wondering
      > if this custom did not come over from the old homeland when my
      > family arrived here in the USA. Perhaps the blessing also did.
      >
      > Many thanks to all you members who make this list so interesting.

> [...]
      State:AlabamaAlaskaArkansasArizonaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareFl
      oridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMar
      ylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMissippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaN
      ew
      > HampshireNew MexicoNew JerseyNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth
      > DakotaOklahomaOhioOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth
      > DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWashington D.C.West
      > VirginiaWisconsinWyoming
      >
      > PurchaseRefinance

      > Service.
      >

      > __________ Informacia od NOD32 1.848 (20040820) __________

      > http://www.eset.sk

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      > var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] =

      "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129jnjss1/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D
      =groups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1096904340/A=2380023/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=124g
      ll7mf/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=10720

      > ";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile =

      'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_yahoo_em4_1
      00104.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var
      > lrec_altURL =

      "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129jnjss1/M=294150.5475418.6555472.1501134/D
      =groups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1096904340/A=2380023/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=124
      gll7mf/*http://www.interest.com/includes/server/icom_campaign.asp?id=1072
      0
      > ";var lrec_altimg =

      "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bon_marketing/300x250_em4_100104.
      jpg";var
      > lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

      > Service.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor [input] [input] [input] [input] [input] Select Your State:AlabamaAlaskaArkansasArizonaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMissippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew MexicoNew JerseyNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOklahomaOhioOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWashington D.C.West VirginiaWisconsinWyoming

      PurchaseRefinance

      [input]

    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2004
        Aloysia,
        Thank you for your story. I do not think it was inappropriate for this list.
        i enjoyed it and am passing it on to my aunt and daughter. I remember one
        of my aunts, born in 1904, telling me that when she got all dressed up to go
        out dancing, they were so poor that she used a tiny bit of shoe polish for
        curling her eyelashes. i never forgot that.
        Noreen

      • bill tarkulich
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 4, 2004
          Regarding the segregation of men and women, I can speak only for the
          East of Slovakia, but I'm fairly confident the following applies generally.

          For the most part, 100 years ago in small villages, men and women
          separately socialized ("Slovak Family Traditions"). I observed this
          social segregation continued in America as well. They were hardly ever
          seen together as a "couple", as we do today. This extended to the
          church. If you look at the architecture of Greek Catholic churches
          before 1945, it consisted of three spaces: the Sacristry/altar, Nave and
          Babinec. The nave was located centrally and was where the men sat. The
          "Babinec" or "babynets" was also called the "women's room", located
          farthest from the altar.

          I suspect that this tradition was modified in America since most
          churches consisted of principally two sections, the nave (for the
          congregants) and the altar (for the sacrament.) The "babinec" was
          generally relegated to the role of a vestibule in America. Since room
          separation wasn't logistically possible, dividing into two sections was
          the next best thing.

          As an aside, the congregants, except for the infirm generally stood
          throughout the entire service, which could be as long as 3 hours.

          If you attend an *Orthodox* service today (I married a Greek *Orthodox*
          {not to be confused with Greek Catholic} and attend this church), you
          will find the majority of people still "dress up." Men wear
          conservative suits and women wear modest dresses.

          Bill
        • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2004
            I was in Poland in 1980 in a small village church where the sexes were
            still segregated: the women were on the left, men on the right.
            Luckily when I came in I picked up on it and sat on the right side!

            Joe