Re: [S-R] Slovak Family Traditions

  • Jan Ammann
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hello Everyone.....I have read this post with great interest. And would like to ask a question about ethnic/religious traditions or customs. My background is Moravian, Austrian-Hungarian, and German. I am catholic and as a child when we went to church as a family, the men all sat on the right hand side and the women and children sat on the left hand side. This would be in the 1940's here in Texas. It then changed throughtout the years but I am not sure of the change date. Of course, my parents and my grandparents and aunts and uncles all spoke Moravian as did we children in those days. My grandmother would always say "Ti se Moravian" (no accent marks as they mess up the email sometimes) when someone would say we were czech or bohemian. She was very firm about this. To her, I suppose, being called something other than Moravian was not proper. We were all raised to be proud of our Moravian heritage. Of course, we all learned english also and by the time we went to school,
      moravian was ignored by all of us children and the older members of the family only spoke in moravian to each other. We even prayed in Moravian in our country church. We actually switched between latin and Moravian. The Our Father and Hail Mary was always in Moravian.

      This also was a country parish which was rather small. I can still remember the church with its white beadboard walls.......its beautiful gothic shaped stained windows which opened to the outside (no AC in those days). Sometimes, birds flew across the altar and we even saw mice scattering across the wooden floor at times. The statues were magnificent and they are the very same ones that are in the catholic church (polish community) where I attend today.

      We had lent.........we had ember days.........so much that is no longer. Of course, Lent is still in the church but the ember days are gone. The mass was in latin as were our prayer books. Also,,,,,when my older sister was married (early 1950's) the priest came to the house in the early morning. My mother draped a white sheet on the walls in one corner of our small living room and my sister, in her wedding dress, and her husband to be, kneeled there, surrounded by the parents, the priest in the corner facing them. He gave a blessing to the couple and to the parents. Then, he went back to the church where we all followed later on. I am supposing that this also came over from the old country. I have never seen this blessing enacted since that day. It, too, has disappeared.

      So, this post brought back a lot of memories for me. But I do hope someone can comment on the way we sat in the church. I am wondering if this custom did not come over from the old homeland when my family arrived here in the USA. Perhaps the blessing also did.

      Many thanks to all you members who make this list so interesting.

      Cheers, Aloysia

      Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:
      Dear Bill,
      here http://www.cgsi.org/
      I thought, everybody knows that :-)
      Join!
      Best regards,
      Vladimir
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2004
        I well remember the days when the men and women sat on opposite sides of
        the church. The women (and children) sat on the left, facing the Blessed
        Virgin's statue , and the men sat on the right, facing St. Joseph's
        statue. This was the custom, not only in the Slovak parish, but in the
        "Irish" parish where our family attended mass, when it was not convenient
        to travel to the Slovak parish (a seven mile trip). I also remember that
        everyone, men and women, dressed in their "Sunday best" when they went to
        mass. Not only did the men wear a suit, white shirt and tie, but they
        also wore hats. I don't know when the custom of sitting on opposite
        sides of the church was abandoned, but, as I recall, it was a gradual
        change.

        Bill Brna

        On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 09:32:18 -0700 (PDT) Jan Ammann
        <janammann@...> writes:

> [...]
        > came to the house in the early morning. My mother draped a white
        > sheet on the walls in one corner of our small living room and my
        > sister, in her wedding dress, and her husband to be, kneeled there,
        > surrounded by the parents, the priest in the corner facing them. He
        > gave a blessing to the couple and to the parents. Then, he went
        > back to the church where we all followed later on. I am supposing
        > that this also came over from the old country. I have never seen
        > this blessing enacted since that day. It, too, has disappeared.
        >
        > So, this post brought back a lot of memories for me. But I do hope
        > someone can comment on the way we sat in the church. I am wondering
        > if this custom did not come over from the old homeland when my
        > family arrived here in the USA. Perhaps the blessing also did.
        >
        > Many thanks to all you members who make this list so interesting.

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2004
          I found a similar but not identical custom in a description of Ukrainian
          weddings, where the blessing was given by the couple's parents:

          “My two sisters and I were married in the Ukrainian tradition, in a
          Ukrainian Catholic church in Detroit. One of the most poignant traditions is
          the blessings of the parents. The young couple, before the marriage ceremony
          meet at the bride's home to receive a blessing from the parents. They kneel
          before both sets of parents and ask their blessing and permission to marry.
          After the permission is given, the couple's wrists are tied by the parents
          (one arm each) with an embroidered rushnyk. This is when most everyone
          begins to cry...."

          I found a similar description of parents' blessings in the morning in Polish
          weddings.

          A description of Slovak wedding traditions says that on the morning of the
          wedding the bride and groom each, in their own homes, ask forgiveness from
          their parents for any wrongs they may have done them and ask for their
          blessing. This also seems to have been the case in Rusyn weddings.

          I have found no such descriptions of morning blessings, either from a priest
          or from the parents, for Hungarian households.

          There are many wedding traditions that do seem to cross ethnic lines in
          Central European countries, probably the most important of which was the
          trading of the bride's wedding wreath for a married woman's head covering.

          Janet

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2004
            I remember ember days in the past but cannot recall exactly what they were.
            Noreen

          • Jan Ammann

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor [input] [input] [input] [input] [input] Select Your State:AlabamaAlaskaArkansasArizonaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMissippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew MexicoNew JerseyNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOklahomaOhioOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWashington D.C.West VirginiaWisconsinWyoming

              PurchaseRefinance

              [input]

            • Jan Ammann
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2004
                Hello Mr. Brna........Thank you for remembering what I remember. And, like you, I don't remember exactly when it changed. Yes, we were always dressed up. Daddy in a suit with all the accessories and a hat. My mother and my two sisters were equally done up in fou-fou-frilly type dresses with hats and gloves. Yes, gloves. The hats were usually the "bowler" type for us children with a ribbon hanging down the back part of the hat and touching our shoulders. Mother, however, had a more sedate hat....usually that sat on the top of her head and sometimes they came down on the sides. They were made of straw or velvet or some other fancy fabric........however, they all had a net that could be pulled down over the face.

                Yes, it was a fine tradition. And sometimes I wish we could ressurect it, at least for one Sunday. Our shoes were called Baby Janes with a strap across the top and we had one in black patent leather and one in white patent leather. We shined them with vaseline. I smile when I think of it now. My mother used to braid my hair so tight that I believe that is why I have big eyes. I looked perpetually startled. And if I dared to whimper as she braided she would just pull those braids tighter. Sometimes, we even polished our nails with polish. Nothing bright or glaring........a soft rose or pink. However, because my sister was the oldest, she always got away with fire engine red nails and toes.

                On Saturday night, mother would line up three enamel bowls of water on a bench either on the back porch (summertime) or in the kitchen when it was winter. The first bowl was where we leaned over and washed our hair. The second bowl was water to rinse the soap off. And the third bowl was also water to rinse but with a touch of vinegar added. I think that probably stripped off the last of the soap suds and our hair literally squeaked. Sometimes all three of us used the same bowls of water.

                And when bathing (in a #3 washtub) we also sometimes bathed after each other. Water had to be pumped and carried to the house and heated on the kerosene stove so we had to make do. We also did everything in birth order. My elder sister went first, then me, and finally, our baby sister. I often laugh and tease her because she has an olive skin whereas my older sister and I have a fair skin. I tell her it was because she had to end up using "the somewhat dirty water" and that is why she has the darker skin. Also, the darkest hair.

                I am sure this must sound strange to someone reading this who did not grow up in this type of environment but it was a wonderful way of life. The forties were war years and it was hard to make a living as farmers which our family was. As I grow older, I think of it more often and some of these lists do bring these memories back.

                I ask forgiveness of list members who may not consider this proper on a genealogy list, however, it was a family custom......how we lived.......what we did........and, of course, family is genealogy. So the circle becomes complete.

                Thank you for giving me this chance to reminisce.

                Aloysia

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Aloysia,
                  Thank you for your story. I do not think it was inappropriate for this list.
                  i enjoyed it and am passing it on to my aunt and daughter. I remember one
                  of my aunts, born in 1904, telling me that when she got all dressed up to go
                  out dancing, they were so poor that she used a tiny bit of shoe polish for
                  curling her eyelashes. i never forgot that.
                  Noreen

                • bill tarkulich
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 4, 2004
                    Regarding the segregation of men and women, I can speak only for the
                    East of Slovakia, but I'm fairly confident the following applies generally.

                    For the most part, 100 years ago in small villages, men and women
                    separately socialized ("Slovak Family Traditions"). I observed this
                    social segregation continued in America as well. They were hardly ever
                    seen together as a "couple", as we do today. This extended to the
                    church. If you look at the architecture of Greek Catholic churches
                    before 1945, it consisted of three spaces: the Sacristry/altar, Nave and
                    Babinec. The nave was located centrally and was where the men sat. The
                    "Babinec" or "babynets" was also called the "women's room", located
                    farthest from the altar.

                    I suspect that this tradition was modified in America since most
                    churches consisted of principally two sections, the nave (for the
                    congregants) and the altar (for the sacrament.) The "babinec" was
                    generally relegated to the role of a vestibule in America. Since room
                    separation wasn't logistically possible, dividing into two sections was
                    the next best thing.

                    As an aside, the congregants, except for the infirm generally stood
                    throughout the entire service, which could be as long as 3 hours.

                    If you attend an *Orthodox* service today (I married a Greek *Orthodox*
                    {not to be confused with Greek Catholic} and attend this church), you
                    will find the majority of people still "dress up." Men wear
                    conservative suits and women wear modest dresses.

                    Bill
                  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 4, 2004
                      I was in Poland in 1980 in a small village church where the sexes were
                      still segregated: the women were on the left, men on the right.
                      Luckily when I came in I picked up on it and sat on the right side!

                      Joe