Re: [S-R] Re: "Honestus" revisted again

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2004
      Dear Everyone,
      Whoever still is not sure, what honestus means ( whis is a horror to me) should kindly ask Mr.Duncan Gardiner, who is I think the highest capacity with all the titles one can have regarding the Slovak genealogy.
      For my part, I am not translating this term with dictionaries, but speak from experience, gained by reading many hundreds of thousands of records.
      Honestus is a simple as coelebs when used in marriage records. But the discussion went only around honstus.
      One more thing came to my mind right now;
      If the term honestus would really have anything to do with honor or nobility, then it would have been surely used with death records too. An elderly person, who died, surely had a better chance to be honorable, than a 17 years old boy, who had to get married. There is not a single "Honestus" in death records.
      Regards,
      Vladimir