New Year's saying

  • jwm469@wireweb.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      Hi all,

      I asked this question once before a long time ago of a different Slovak internet research group. Never got an answer
      from anyone.

      I remember by Grandfather Molchany would visit our house on New Year's Day. Before he entered he recited a poem
      or prayer or 'wish'. I once asked him about it and all I can remember is that there was a cake and a mouse involved.
      My dad claims not to remember what I'm talking about. This all took place about 35 years ago.

      I kind of recall the poem having something to do with the New Year and wishing the household properous times and no
      bad fortune. I think the cake signifies the prosperity and the mouse (not eating the cake) signifies the bad.

      Any ideas out there?

      Thanks,

      Jerry