questions on microfilm (gabris/strba in cadca)

  • Debbie O'Connor
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2000
      hello everyone,

      first, i want to thank those of you who were so nice and helpful
      (especially julie (who had looked up the same films) and jozef) when i
      sent in my first post. (also this web page was a great help!
      http://yoda.bmi.net/jjaso/index.html)

      i have found the microfilm of my great-great grandparent's marriage in
      cadca - april 29, 1879 (adam gabris and eva strba). of course, i have
      some questions. the script is difficult to read... so if there are
      misspellings, it's because i can't make it out.

      questions:

      in the "nomen et conditoio sponsorum" column there is a christianity
      symbol (or infinity symbol) by adam's name (and by the word nomen at the
      top)- what does that represent?

      also, there is what looks like a cross after adam and eva's name with the
      words josephi and michaeli. i was wondering if these were names of the
      sponsors instead of the occupations? (i believe eva's father's name was
      michael, but i don't know about adam's parents)

      the "locus originis" apears to be craza and likapej ? i assume craza is
      cadca - but i don't know about the second town (?).

      thank you in advance.

      debbie o'connor
    • Helenezx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2000
        In a message dated 2/2/0 5:00:10 PM, oconnor@... writes:

        << there is what looks like a cross after adam and eva's name with the
        words josephi and michaeli. i was wondering if these were names of the
        sponsors instead of the occupations? (i believe eva's father's name was
        michael, but i don't know about adam's parents)

        Hi Debbi -

        I have been told that sometimes they wrote the birth of children in the
        same record where the marriage was recorded - I am guessing that meant that
        Joseph and Michael were children born and then the cross means they died.

        the "locus originis" apears to be craza and likapej ? i assume craza is
        cadca - but i don't know about the second town (?). >>

        Cadca did have a number of names so that's what this is but have hunted the
        map and don't find the other Likapeg?? Would love to see a copy of this
        document - to try to decipher name and it might have other clues on it.
        There are many small settlements around Cadca unlike most areas of Slovakia
        and these were like family compounds - a few homes etc. There are many of
        these shown in the Podrobny Slovak atlas.

        Is there any chance that Eva's name could be Strban?? Last summer I
        helped a Strban descendant find the ancestral village just west of Cadca.
        Maybe you would want to contact that person ?? If you think the name fits.

        helene
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2000
          Place of origin ...

          C^adca (Sv) Cszcza (H)
          In Hungarian, the letter cs = Slovak diacritic c^ = ch,
          and letter cz is pron. ts.

          Likapej ?
          In Slavic languages and Hungarian, the letter j is pron. y.

          But I'd guess L�s^kovci (Sv) located just 1.5 kms from C^adca.

          Strba Strbak Strbavy Strbava Strbik Strbka