Re: [S-R] OT -- Food Related -- Canning

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 27, 2004
      Caye,
      Have you ever eaten fried green tomatoes?? mmm!! I love 'em - not Slovak but
      good to eat. Slice tomatoes, dip in egg batter, then coat with flour and/or
      cornmeal. Fry in butter. Once you taste the you will forget about canning.
      Carol
      p.s. totally understood your comments re: "why we do this"

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2004
        just wanted to say pressure cooking is much safer today than it was years ago
        ..lots of safety valves built in !
        will look to see if i can find anything but do not think so.
        good luck!
        jennifer

      • Bratgirl54@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2004
          Here's a recipe my grandmother used a few times. Though we are Slovak, I'm
          not sure if the recipe is. Enjoy!

          Green Tomato and Apple Pickle
          Ingredients:
          1-1/2 gallon green tomatoes, chopped
          1/3 cup salt
          1 large onion
          2 quart chopped apples
          1 bunch celery, chopped
          2 teaspoon mustard seed
          1 teaspoon cinnamon
          1 teaspoon cloves
          1 teaspoon allspice
          2 pound sugar
          1 quart vinegar

          Instructions:
          Sprinkle the salt over the chopped tomatoes and let stand overnight. In the
          morning, drain and add chopped onion, celery and apples. Mix spices with the
          sugar and add vinegar. Add liquid to pickle mixture and simmer slowly for 1
          hour. Pack into hot jars and seal.

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
            I made a batch-o-this yesterday -- my neighbor
            actually asked me what's cookin . . . smelled so
            delicious -- used a combo of Honey Crisp and Empire
            apples -- both are tart-crisp-juicy -- so figured
            they'd hold up to one hour of simmering. Since the
            recipe was EXACTLY 6 quarts, I didn't have any left
            over to try -- although the pickle juice was amazing.
            Again thanks for the recipe.

            Does anyone have any tricks/hints/clues as to how to
            get a Ball/Kerr jar open once yer ready to sample your
            "Beckey Homecky" skills? Read a ton about home
            canning, but so far, nothing about what tool to use to
            open the lids -- I'm guessing since you cannot reuse
            them, maybe an old fashioned pointy can opener might
            work, but if anyone has a better trick, I'd appreciate
            that.

            Caye

            --- Bratgirl54@... wrote:

            > Here's a recipe my grandmother used a few times.
            > Though we are Slovak, I'm
            > not sure if the recipe is. Enjoy!
            >

            > Green Tomato and Apple Pickle
            > Ingredients:
            > 1-1/2 gallon green tomatoes, chopped
            > 1/3 cup salt
            > 1 large onion
            > 2 quart chopped apples
            > 1 bunch celery, chopped
            > 2 teaspoon mustard seed
            > 1 teaspoon cinnamon
            > 1 teaspoon cloves
            > 1 teaspoon allspice
            > 2 pound sugar
            > 1 quart vinegar
            >
            > Instructions:
            > Sprinkle the salt over the chopped tomatoes and let
            > stand overnight. In the
            > morning, drain and add chopped onion, celery and
            > apples. Mix spices with the
            > sugar and add vinegar. Add liquid to pickle mixture
            > and simmer slowly for 1
            > hour. Pack into hot jars and seal.

            > removed]

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Jan Ammann
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
              Hi Caye....Take a dinner knife.......nothing too sharp........and fit it under the "very tiny edge of the lid" and put your thumb on the lid right next to where the dinner knife is and gently pry it up while putting some pressure on your thumb.. It does work. However, I have done it for too many years so I am fairly good at doing it. It just takes practice.

              And NO........do not use the lid again. The rubber has been used and they are so inexpensive its not worth the risk of having a jar go bad. Good luck. Remember, don't use a real sharp knife.

              Aloysia

              --- Bratgirl54@... wrote:

              > Here's a recipe my grandmother used a few times.
              > Though we are Slovak, I'm
              > not sure if the recipe is. Enjoy!
              >

              > Green Tomato and Apple Pickle
              > Ingredients:
              > 1-1/2 gallon green tomatoes, chopped
              > 1/3 cup salt
              > 1 large onion
              > 2 quart chopped apples
              > 1 bunch celery, chopped
              > 2 teaspoon mustard seed
              > 1 teaspoon cinnamon
              > 1 teaspoon cloves
              > 1 teaspoon allspice
              > 2 pound sugar
              > 1 quart vinegar
              >
              > Instructions:
              > Sprinkle the salt over the chopped tomatoes and let
              > stand overnight. In the
              > morning, drain and add chopped onion, celery and
              > apples. Mix spices with the
              > sugar and add vinegar. Add liquid to pickle mixture
              > and simmer slowly for 1
              > hour. Pack into hot jars and seal.

              > removed]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor [input] [input] [input] [input] [input] Select Your State:AlabamaAlaskaArkansasArizonaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMissippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew MexicoNew JerseyNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOklahomaOhioOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWashington D.C.West VirginiaWisconsinWyoming

              PurchaseRefinance

              [input]

            • Dr. Joe Q
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
                Dear Caye,

                If you are using the "original" Ball - Kerr (Mason)
                jar lids. The flat insert is mean to be discarded.
                Use something like a spatula or butter knife an insert
                it between the lid and jar. You should hear a hiss as
                vacuum is filled. Be sure to keep what ever you have
                canned in the refrigerator after you have opened the
                jar.

                The thin flat lid should be thrown away because the
                very fine rubber seal will be destroyed after you have
                opened it. A box of the sealing lids doesn't cost
                very much, Ithink it works out to about 7 cents a lid.

                Dr. "Q"

                http://vote.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2004
                  I just use a can opener - the old pry type. There is enough of a lip on the
                  lid to grab onto. Since you're going to throw it away anyhow, it doesn't
                  really matter if you bend it a bit.
                  Bill

                  --- Bratgirl54@... wrote:

                  > Here's a recipe my grandmother used a few times.
                  > Though we are Slovak, I'm
                  > not sure if the recipe is. Enjoy!
                  >

                  > Green Tomato and Apple Pickle
                  > Ingredients:
                  > 1-1/2 gallon green tomatoes, chopped
                  > 1/3 cup salt
                  > 1 large onion
                  > 2 quart chopped apples
                  > 1 bunch celery, chopped
                  > 2 teaspoon mustard seed
                  > 1 teaspoon cinnamon
                  > 1 teaspoon cloves
                  > 1 teaspoon allspice
                  > 2 pound sugar
                  > 1 quart vinegar
                  >
                  > Instructions:
                  > Sprinkle the salt over the chopped tomatoes and let
                  > stand overnight. In the
                  > morning, drain and add chopped onion, celery and
                  > apples. Mix spices with the
                  > sugar and add vinegar. Add liquid to pickle mixture
                  > and simmer slowly for 1
                  > hour. Pack into hot jars and seal.

                  > removed]

                  Yahoo! Groups Links