Joseph Grisak

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2004
      I think that the real talent of Joseph and Michael Grisak was not only that
      they were both articulate and interesting writers, but also that they had a
      solid understanding of the political, ethnic and religious history and
      context on two continents, not just at a micro level, but at a macro level.
      We always find ourselves having to put our answers into a historical context
      when asked a question about an immigrant. The region suffer a tulmultuous
      history. A simple peasant farmer, with no understanding of the politics
      which surround him would have provided a much simpler story, but no less
      important.

      You should suffer no regrets that your immigrant didn't share his/her life's
      history; mine didn't; the overwhelming didn't. I do agree however that if
      each of our immigrants had shared at least some, we would have a much better
      understanding of the tapestry of peasant life. In my search for
      broad-sweeping generalization by which to characterize peasant life in upper
      Hungary, I've reached the conclusion that each village was its' own unique
      microcosm of history and culture. While generalizations may provide us
      some comfort, it's fair to say that each village had its own unique set of
      customs, traditions (and superstitions), the vast majority of them were
      taken to the grave. So for every village story written, there will be 2,500
      unwritten. So the same problem exists in Slovakia as it does in America,
      Canada and other settlements.

      Bill