Re: Re: [S-R] Military Conscription & Life in Slovakia 100 years ago

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9 11:02 AM
      Glad everyone likes it. It is actually archived in the Mormon's Family History center. An individual scanned and posted it. It is one of the most complete descriptions of an immigrant's life (and the surrounding environment) I've ever seen in English. Objective and accurate, all non-fiction. 100 pages in all; Answers many questions we all have; should be required reading!
      Bill

      > From: "R D Gale" <rdgale_ink@...>
      > Date: 2004/09/09 Thu AM 10:47:34 EDT
      > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: Re: [S-R] Military Conscription
      >
      > Bill - I, too, wish to thank you for the Grisak family history.....It is a treasure trove of information.......Bobbi D. Gale

    • Donna Lachney
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 10 7:52 AM
        Dear Bill, Yes, this piece of work is fantastic and what a life and memory Mr Grisak had. You worked very hard at scanning the document, too. Thank you for doing this for all of us. I still haven't finished it yet either. I am amazed on each page as to how accurate it is and so interesting. I can see my Great Grandfather in the same manner.

        Donna Lachney

        Glad everyone likes it. It is actually archived in the Mormon's Family History center. An individual scanned and posted it. It is one of the most complete descriptions of an immigrant's life (and the surrounding environment) I've ever seen in English. Objective and accurate, all non-fiction. 100 pages in all; Answers many questions we all have; should be required reading!
        Bill

        > From: "R D Gale" <rdgale_ink@...>
        > Date: 2004/09/09 Thu AM 10:47:34 EDT
        > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: Re: [S-R] Military Conscription
        >
        > Bill - I, too, wish to thank you for the Grisak family history.....It is a treasure trove of information.......Bobbi D. Gale

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 10 3:29 PM
          Just to clarify and give credit where it is due, Bill Lucak scanned and
          posted the Grisak papers.
          All I did was refer you to it!
          Bill

          Dear Bill, Yes, this piece of work is fantastic and what a life and memory
          Mr Grisak had. You worked very hard at scanning the document, too. Thank
          you for doing this for all of us. I still haven't finished it yet either.
          I am amazed on each page as to how accurate it is and so interesting. I can
          see my Great Grandfather in the same manner.

          Donna Lachney

          Glad everyone likes it. It is actually archived in the Mormon's Family
          History center. An individual scanned and posted it. It is one of the most
          complete descriptions of an immigrant's life (and the surrounding
          environment) I've ever seen in English. Objective and accurate, all
          non-fiction. 100 pages in all; Answers many questions we all have; should
          be required reading! Bill

          > From: "R D Gale" <rdgale_ink@...>
          > Date: 2004/09/09 Thu AM 10:47:34 EDT
          > To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: Re: [S-R] Military Conscription
          >
          > Bill - I, too, wish to thank you for the Grisak family history.....It is a
          treasure trove of information.......Bobbi D. Gale

          oogroups.com>
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
          http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS<http://www.yahoogroups.com/gro
          up/SLOVAK-ROOTS> -or- send blank email to
          SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yah
          oogroups.com>
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10 3:33 PM
            Well, heartfelt thanks to both of you. Too bad more of our immigrant
            ancestors did not have literary leanings. I wonder if there are many
            diaries etc. in Slovak?

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10 5:02 PM
              Yes, I'm certain that many have been written in Slovak. Most are out of
              print. Browse through www.abebooks.com with keywords, you'll be surprised
              what turns up.

              Another excellent read, recently reprinted is:

              Eternal Memory by Ann Walko

              Eternal Memory: A 91 year-old womens's remarkable story of her romance with
              America.

              The precious gift of story-telling is beautifully illustrated as Ann Walko
              shares tales of warmth and humor that hightlights her immigrant family's
              arrival on the shores of America in the early 1900s. Far from their homeland
              in Slovakia, the Carpatho Rusyn immigrants faced hardships and prejudice
              with stoic pride and resiliency in the industrial city of Pittsburgh. 91
              year-old Ann Walko shares touching memeories of Mama, Pap, Uncle Fedor, and
              Aunt Julia as she weaves a heartwarming story of lifetimes gone by.

              "My stories are about a people who came from the foothills of the Carpathian
              Mountains, the "Pod Karpacki Rus," named by the Greeks, the Ruthenians. "

              more: http://www.iarelative.com/books/eternal.htm

              It's out of print, but I was able to pickup a copy. Here are some sources:
              http://www.rusynyk.com/MGRelatedstuff.html

              http://www.amazon.ca/

              Regards,
              bill

              Well, heartfelt thanks to both of you. Too bad more of our immigrant
              ancestors did not have literary leanings. I wonder if there are many
              diaries etc. in Slovak?

              > Just to clarify and give credit where it is due, Bill Lucak scanned
              > and posted the Grisak papers. All I did was refer you to it!
              > Bill

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Donna Lachney