Military Conscription

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2004
      The biography of John Grisak contains some exellent first-hand material
      about Military conscription and live in the Hungarian army.
      http://www.saed.kent.edu/~lucak/topica/Grisak.pdf
      In Adobe PDF format.

      A great snapshot of peasant life in Spis county, circa 1900.

      Enjoy,

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2004
        Bill, this autobiography is absolutely priceless, and how wonderful of you
        to share it with all of us. For those of you who haven't yet looked at it,
        it contains far more than information about military conscription, but what
        it was like to grow up in a peasant household. I have been preaching for
        some time the importance of understanding the lives of the people who lived
        history, not names and dates. This autobiography is an eloquent example of
        that.

        This book-length work is so full of wonderful details that it will take
        quite some time to get through it all, but is something which I greatly look
        forward to. (I've made it only to page 29 so far.)

        This needs to be in a place that can afford it wider readership than just
        members of this list. It is a true treasure.

        Janet