Duran Family

  • sitkajd
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
      Hello,

      I'm new to the group and would really appreciate any help I could get
      in researching my family. My great grandfather and great grandmother
      came over to the US from Vazec, Slovakia between 1912-1914. Their
      names were John Duran and Zuzanna (Chovan) Duran and they settled in
      Minneapolis, MN. I'm trying to locate date and port of entry, I've
      tried many different web sites but seem to have hit a brick wall. I
      would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

      Thanks so much,
      Jen
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
        Jen -- I've got some pretty good connections to the
        orthodox churches in Minneapolis -- were they church
        goin people? If so, do you know their parish?

        Caye

        --- sitkajd <jen.duran@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm new to the group and would really appreciate any
        > help I could get
        > in researching my family. My great grandfather and
        > great grandmother
        > came over to the US from Vazec, Slovakia between
        > 1912-1914. Their
        > names were John Duran and Zuzanna (Chovan) Duran and
        > they settled in
        > Minneapolis, MN. I'm trying to locate date and port
        > of entry, I've
        > tried many different web sites but seem to have hit
        > a brick wall. I
        > would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could
        > give me.
        >
        > Thanks so much,
        > Jen

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Duran, Jen
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
          Hi Caye,

          Thanks for your help!! I believe that they were church going people. I'm
          not sure where they went to church though. I know they were married in a
          Lutheran Church in Vazec, Slovakia.

          Jen

          --- sitkajd <jen.duran@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I'm new to the group and would really appreciate any
          > help I could get
          > in researching my family. My great grandfather and
          > great grandmother
          > came over to the US from Vazec, Slovakia between
          > 1912-1914. Their
          > names were John Duran and Zuzanna (Chovan) Duran and
          > they settled in
          > Minneapolis, MN. I'm trying to locate date and port
          > of entry, I've
          > tried many different web sites but seem to have hit
          > a brick wall. I
          > would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could
          > give me.
          >
          > Thanks so much,
          > Jen

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129v6l38h/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705040837:HM/EXP=1094240503/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.
          netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2319498/rand=537839057>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
            I'll run the name Duran past a few elders at my church
            -- we've got a lot of folks who grew up in Minneapolis
            -- I'll let you know if anyone's eyebrows raise at
            all.

            Caye

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
              "I know they were married in a Lutheran Church in Vazec, Slovakia."

              That's the GREAT news. You knbow the village and religion. To have
              any success at all in terms of Slovak genealogy, it is mandatory that
              you learn the name of the village/town of origin and also the
              religion. You have that!

              To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name,
              go to the LDS web site:

              LDS has Protestant parish registers of baptisms, marriages, and
              deaths for Važec (Sv. Mikulas), Slovakia; formerly Vazsecz, Lipto
              (county), Hungary.

              Krstení 1783-1831 -- Sobášení 1786-1869 -- Zomrelí 1783-1815 - FHL
              INTL Film [ 2062276 Item 11 ]

              Zomrelí 1815-1869 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2062277 Item 1 ]

              Krstení 1832-1923 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2062277 Items 2 - 3 ]

              Sobášení 1870-1929 -- Zomrelí 1870-1900 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2062277
              Item 4 ]

              Zomrelí 1900-1929 - VAULT INTL Film [ 2062278 Item 1 ]

              go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
              will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

              translations.

              LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
              See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
              details.

              There you have it. Two hundred years of family history!

              The old Hungarian map can be found at:
              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/lipto.jpg

              Look in the pale green area, right-center of map, for Vazsecz, just
              east of Vichodna. That's your village in Lipto Megye = county.

              CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
              get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
              likely find in church records.

              Happy squinting!
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
                By the way, the family probably still has cousins in the old village.

                You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone by looking
                them up in the phone book white pages at
                http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html using (at least) the first
                three letters of the family name and the area code 044.

                Ján Duran, Štúrova, Važec
                Jaroslav Duran, Tatranská, Važec
                Ondrej Duran, Žiar

                Anna Chovanová, Štúrova, Važec
                JUDr. Ján Chovan, Važec
                ¼ubo Chovan, Važec
                Michal Chovan, Pastierska, Važec
                Zuzana Chovanová, Na Harte, Važec

                ps: Beware, accented letters may not reproduce correctly.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sitkajd" <jen.duran@n...> wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > I'm new to the group and would really appreciate any help I could
                get
                > in researching my family. My great grandfather and great
                grandmother
                > came over to the US from Vazec, Slovakia between 1912-1914. Their
                > names were John Duran and Zuzanna (Chovan) Duran and they settled
                in
                > Minneapolis, MN. I'm trying to locate date and port of entry, I've
                > tried many different web sites but seem to have hit a brick wall.
                > would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could give me.
                >
                > Thanks so much,
                > Jen
              • Frank
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Duran, Jen" <jen.duran@n...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi Caye,
                  >
                  > Thanks for your help!! I believe that they were church going
                  people. I'm
                  > not sure where they went to church though. I know they were married
                  in a
                  > Lutheran Church in Vazec, Slovakia.
                  >
                  > Jen

                  Jen,

                  Vaz^ec (Sk) formerly called Vasecz/Vázsecz (H) and Waschec (G) is
                  located 145 miles ENE of Bratislava and between Liptovsky' Hrádok and
                  Poprad.
                  2 churches.
                  The Slovakia telephone directory lists 2 surnames Duran and 5 surnames
                  Chovan under Vaz^ec.

                  In 1912 a Mihály (H) Michal (Sk) Michael (E) Duran , age 18, Slovak,
                  had emigrated from Vazsecz Lipto megye (county) Hungary to address of
                  his brother-in-law in Minneapolis MN.
                  Michael's closest relative was his father János (H) Jan (Sk) John
                  Duran in Vazsecz.

                  The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
                  of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

                  Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

                  LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

                  Hungarian English
                  rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
                  ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
                  izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

                  In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
                  Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
                  Sobás^ení = Marriages
                  Zomrelí = Deaths

                  In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.

                  Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

                  In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
                  Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
                  Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
                  Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

                  Church Record Translations

                  http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//

                  The LDS-Mormons have filmed the Lutheran parish church records
                  (1783-1923) for Vazsecz Lipto megye (county), Hungary now Vaz^ec,
                  Slovakia.
                  Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Slovak.

                  film #
                  2062276