Re: drabalak and buczek

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Diane Burke <dmbburke@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I am new to the group and am looking for information about my two
      grandmothers. My maternal grandmother's name was Maria Drabalak and
      she came to the US on 8 Aug, 1912 on the ship the Nieuw Amsterdam from
      Rotterdam, Netherlands. The ship manifest says that she was born in
      Austria and her ethnicity is Austrian, Bohemian. My paternal
      grandmother's name was Agnes Buczek. The 1920 census lists her place
      of birth as Austria and her native language Slovak. She was
      naturalized in 1918. Does anyone have any information and ideas about
      where I might begin to look next for information?

      > Thanks for your help.
      >
      > Diane Burke

      Diane

      EIR list only 1 surname Drabalak who emigrated to US.
      Maria went to her cousin Karl Pospischil in Chicago IL.
      Many Czech-Bohemians did settle in Chicago.
      Maria's closest relative in Czech-Bohemia (her country of departure)
      was her father Martin Drabalak at (what looks like but was misspelled
      as Prusslowitz, Moravia)
      Expect this was Proschwitz (G) Prosec^ne^ (Cz) located 64 miles ENE
      of Praha (Prague), Czech Repuiblic.

      Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
      (10th century-1918) and part of the Österreichisch-ungarische
      Monarchie, or in English, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
      It was an Austrian Kronland (province)
      Both German and Czech languages were used.

      Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
      Mähren was an Austrian Crownland located East of Böhmen (Bohemia).
      Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
      Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a
      part of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
      (Austrian-Silesia).

      The Austrian Habsburgs, accustomed to being imperial, assumed the
      title of Emperor of Austria in 1804. Later, the "dual-monarchy" was
      established, with the Habsburgs as Emperors of Austria and Kings of
      Hungary, the combined realm being known as "Austria-Hungary".

      The various Czech Archives used to do surname record rerearch by mail
      upon payment of set fees.
      I believe they no longer provide this service and you must actually go
      to a particular Czech regional Archive to do surname research.

      As for your surname Buczek.
      If you have your paternal GM's naturalization papers they should list
      her town/village of origin and name of ship and date she arrived in
      US ?
      If not you can write NARA for a copy of her naturalization papers.
      But in whose name were her naturalization papers listed ?
      In the 1920 US Federal Census under what State ?

      Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
      her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well..
      if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. but required to wait
      until after 21st birthday. Wives after 1922 had to apply for their
      own naturalization.

      There are probably 800-1200 surname Buczek bearers just in the US.
      Buczek is mainly a Polish surname from the Kraków region of southern
      Poland.
      The southern Polish territories around Kraków and Lwów were
      incorporated into the Austrian Empire and renamed "Galicia".

      Galicia was formerly a Austrian Kronland and part of Austro-Hungarian
      Monarchy(1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
      Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
      Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).

      Gedcom files list 164 surnames Buczek of which many came from
      Poland and many had settled in Chicago.

      What might your paternal GM have used ?

      How are you ? English

      Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

      Hogy Van ? Hungarian

      Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

      Jak se máte ? Czech

      Jak sie masz ? Polish

      Frank K
    • Bohdana Badzio
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2004
        Hello Frank,

        there also seems to be a PRISLOWITZ (BREZOVICE), 98.5mi S of Prague.

        I noticed also that Maria's last residence listed as Visnna, Austria.
        Don't know if this would be expected to be close to her father's
        residence, but I am not finding anything which would fit near
        Prislowitz.

        Bohdana

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1 6:41 AM
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bohdana Badzio" <bbadzio@l...>
          wrote:
          > Hello Frank,
          >
          > there also seems to be a PRISLOWITZ (BREZOVICE), 98.5mi S of Prague.
          >
          > I noticed also that Maria's last residence listed as Visnna,
          Austria.
          > Don't know if this would be expected to be close to her father's
          > residence, but I am not finding anything which would fit near
          > Prislowitz.
          >
          > Bohdana

          ahoj Bohdana

          Yes, the Br^ezovice you list is located east of Frymburk and near
          the current Austrian border.
          There are also 4 Brezovice located in the Czech Republic.
          There were other German towns formerly named Proschwitz located
          in the CR.
          For example, some places nammed Proschwitz were called Prosec^ in
          Czech.
          There are 7 Prosec^ located in CR.
          After WW II the Czechs renamed all the German named towns to Czech
          names often using the same name for multiple locations inorder to
          lose their old German identities.

          Maria's Last Residence which was listed as Visnna, Austria may
          actually have been Vinna located 18 miles north of your Br^ezovice
          above and 80 miles south of of Praha.
          C^eské Bude^jovice (Budweis) region of former C^eskoslovensko.
          But, early on it didn't qualify as being part of the Austrian
          Kronland Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia and located east
          of Böhmen (Bohemia).

          Frank K

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
          > > Maria's closest relative in Czech-Bohemia (her country of
          > departure)
          > > was her father Martin Drabalak at (what looks like but was
          > misspelled
          > > as Prusslowitz, Moravia)
          > > Expect this was Proschwitz (G) Prosec^ne^ (Cz) located 64 miles
          ENE
          > > of Praha (Prague), Czech Repuiblic.
        • Diane Burke
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2 5:47 PM
            Frank,

            Thanks for your quick response and information. I think you have found the right person. My grandmother did emigrate to Chicago and my mother always said that her mother was very proud of being Moravian. I have a few further questions about how you obtained the information. What is the EIR list? How did you determine that Maria's last residence was Visnna, Austria?

            Thanks for the info on my other grandmother Agnes Buczek. I don't have her naturalization papers. The census says that she was naturalized in 1918 the same year as my grandfather, so it must have happened as you state. When my grandfather was naturalized she was too. Would she have her own naturalization papers? She was naturalized in Illinois. She did speak Polish, so I am assuming she was from Galicia.

            Thanks again for your help. I welcome any further suggestions.

            Diane Burke

            wrote:
            > Hello Frank,
            >
            > there also seems to be a PRISLOWITZ (BREZOVICE), 98.5mi S of Prague.
            >
            > I noticed also that Maria's last residence listed as Visnna,
            Austria.
            > Don't know if this would be expected to be close to her father's
            > residence, but I am not finding anything which would fit near
            > Prislowitz.
            >
            > Bohdana

            ahoj Bohdana

            Yes, the Br^ezovice you list is located east of Frymburk and near
            the current Austrian border.
            There are also 4 Brezovice located in the Czech Republic.
            There were other German towns formerly named Proschwitz located
            in the CR.
            For example, some places nammed Proschwitz were called Prosec^ in
            Czech.
            There are 7 Prosec^ located in CR.
            After WW II the Czechs renamed all the German named towns to Czech
            names often using the same name for multiple locations inorder to
            lose their old German identities.

            Maria's Last Residence which was listed as Visnna, Austria may
            actually have been Vinna located 18 miles north of your Br^ezovice
            above and 80 miles south of of Praha.
            C^esk� Bude^jovice (Budweis) region of former C^eskoslovensko.
            But, early on it didn't qualify as being part of the Austrian
            Kronland M�hren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia and located east
            of B�hmen (Bohemia).

            Frank K

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
            > > Maria's closest relative in Czech-Bohemia (her country of
            > departure)
            > > was her father Martin Drabalak at (what looks like but was
            > misspelled
            > > as Prusslowitz, Moravia)
            > > Expect this was Proschwitz (G) Prosec^ne^ (Cz) located 64 miles
            ENE
            > > of Praha (Prague), Czech Repuiblic.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsordocument.write('');