Re: Books

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 29, 2000
      Maura & All,

      I started out looking for history on Slovakia in the 1960's because I
      grew up in a Slovak family in an American neighborhood. Both parents
      spoke the language, we maintained ties to the uncles and aunts in
      Czechoslovakia, but we didn�t learn the language at home. This all
      sparked my interest. There was extremely little Slovak history out
      there. Over the years I gathered bits and pieces and accepted what was
      available without regard to political color of the writing. I was
      impressed by the passionate hatreds and firm beliefs of the writers and
      developed my own concept of propaganda from these readings. Quite a few
      of the were embittered right wing people who had to flee the communists
      when they took over, and their hatred of communism was fired even more
      by being forced to give up their beloved homeland.

      One of these people is Josef Kirchbaum, father of the author of �A
      History of Slovakia", Stanislav Kirchbaum. After settling in Canada the
      Kirchbaums evidently led a scholarly life with university teaching,
      speaking several languages and the boy who is now the author - and I
      believe a professor in his own right. Josef also busied himself as
      contributor and editor of many books and documents for the Slovak World
      Conference. He had been a chief in the academic Hlinka guards, perhaps
      the closest things to fascists in Slovakia. He finished the war as a
      diplomat in Switzerland, which probably saved his life.

      All of this is background to establish why I bought Stanislav�s book
      and read it with a jaundiced eye, watching carefully for parroting of
      his father�s perspective or going off course to justify or white wash
      the right wing Tiso regime.

      I found no white washing, no hiding, nothing out of order with the
      history I have read from many sources for 30 years. I recommend
      Stanislav Kirchbaum�s �A History of Slovakia" as the best and most
      balanced history of Slovakia I have encountered. If you have only one
      book on Slovak history, this is the one I recommend.

      On the negative side, one on line review complains that he does not
      adequately cover the Jewish situation in WW II. He devotes six pages to
      that specific history. It is a matter of taste and judgment as to how
      much space a book covering 1000 years of history of the Slovak people
      should properly devote to this major tragic incident.

      I will recommend a second book in a second sending, as this is too long
      already.

      Ron

      Maura Petzolt wrote:

      > From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
      >
      > I'd also be interested in opinions on this History of Slovakia book.....
      >
      > I actually spent this rainy day in Barnes and Noble looking for
      > appropriate books for all my research, and was disappointed that while
      > there were many books on Irish and German history and villages etc,
      > there was only -one- I could find applicable to this region.... and that
      > was A History of the Hapsburg Empire , which looked interesting, but
      > reminded me too much of my college required reading, and had only one
      > specific page devoted to anything "Slovak" according to the index (and
      > that was about the language when I went to the page).
      >
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • mizgimel
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 14, 2015

        Hi everyone,

        I have been fortunate enough to find a couple generations of Slovak family members.  However, they've only been through church records so it is just facts.  I was wondering if there were any books that anyone has read that might give some light into what my ancestors went through.  Their town of Myjava is very close to the boarder so I know that they were a lot of country changes.  I'm curious what that did on the citizens of the town and what day to day life was like.

        Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

        --Michelle Gimelberg

      • Bob Lupcho

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 14, 2015
            Bob and Michelle,
                Amazon has A Concise History of Slovakia” used for $60.15 and new for $243.62.

            Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 7:33 PM
            Subject: Re: [S-R] Books

[...]

          • William C. Wormuth

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 14, 2015
                  Michelle,

                     One of the problems with books that are histories is they are not that concerned with sociology. I have read at least six histories on Slovakia. The one that dealt with sociology the most was Slovakia: European Contexts of Folk Culture. It is an out of print book. Amazon has it used $178 and $200 new.

                      I enjoyed the Illustrated Slovak History, through Amazon you can order it for $18 for the paper back. Having photo and illustrations gives context to the history that you are reading.

                      A History of Slovakia: The Struggle for Survival by Stanislav J. Kirschbaum is a good “standard” history, $13 paper back at Amazon.

                       My Slovakia, My Family by John Palka  is ”True to its title this book presents much of the history of Slovakia while narrating the story of the author's family, one of the most notable in the country's history. Part genealogy, part historical analysis, and part immigrant story Palka s narrative covers a span of 300 years.” I have not read it. It has a five star rating from those that have. $20.79 paperback at Amazon.

                      Along contemporary lines is another highly rated book that I have not read yet, A Country Lost, Then Found: Discovering My Father's Slovakia by Rick Zednik “Young Juraj Zednik is spending the summer of 1968 abroad when Warsaw Pact tanks invade Czechoslovakia. Sickened by the rot in his homeland, Juraj opts not to return. After the Velvet Revolution topples Communism in 1989, Juraj’s son Rick decides to go and live in Bratislava. He finally connects with his grandfather who is dying and his grandmother who is nursing him. Rick’s discoveries in newly-independent Slovakia give his father cause to re-connect with family and friends and to regain pride in the country he had turned his back on decades earlier.” Amazon paperback, $16.93

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 14, 2015

                    Check the following link:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pichne

                    Start with the internet.

                    Frank

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 14, 2015

                      Check the following link:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pichne

                      I should also add that Pichne is located in

                      It is located in Župa Zemplínska; okres Snina, kraj Prešov until 1960.

                      Then after 1960 it was in okres Humenné, kraj Východoslovenský.

                      In 1900 the population was 447.

                      In 1921 = 427.

                      In 1970 = 663.

                      This information comes from the following publications:

                      VLASTIVEDNÝ SLOVNÍK OBCÍ NA SLOVENSKU

                      Pripravil Encyklopedický Ústav Sav,

                      Veda, Vydavatel’stvo Slovenskej Akadémie Vied

                      1977/1978, Bratislava

                      “Country Dictionary Now and Then on Slovakia ”

                      Prepared by:  Encyclopedic Institute of the Slovak Academy of Science

                      1977/1978, Bratislava

                      Frank Plichta

                      Searching the World for PLICHTAs

                      SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com ]

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 14, 2015
                        Michael:

                        I think my book only cost about $75.00 delivered to me here in Oregon. I think I have the contact persons name here if there is interest. You and I discussed this book a few years back.

                        Bob

                        Sent from my iPad

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 15, 2015
                            Hi Bob,

                            I'd love to have Elena Mannova email address if you have it.

                            --Michelle

                          • Julie Michutka
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 15, 2015

                              On Aug 14, 2015, at 9:49 PM, mkgimelberg@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS] <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              I have been fortunate enough to find a couple generations of Slovak family members.  However, they've only been through church records so it is just facts.  I was wondering if there were any books that anyone has read that might give some light into what my ancestors went through.  Their town of Myjava is very close to the boarder so I know that they were a lot of country changes.  I'm curious what that did on the citizens of the town and what day to day life was like.

                              Michelle, one thing I’ve done when grasping for straws about local history is to mine the website of the town of interest. Look for a link to “historia” or “informacie” (see for example http://www.myjava.sk/historia/); then copy the text into translate.google.com. Do the same for surrounding towns; sometimes their histories tell about something that likely applied to your town, too, such as a year when there was a drought or some other significant event, local resources, etc.

                              ~ Julie Michutka