RE: [S-R] Kosticak (Kastuszek,Kosticek,Kostishak, and other spellings) Family

  • rcuster@erols.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2004
      Kostyshak is a particularly Lemko surname, Lemkos being the westernmost
      subgroup of the Rusyn / Carpatho-Rusyn people (aka Ruthenians,
      Carpatho-Russians, etc.).

      He was almost certainly from Dubne, a village in southeast Poland that sits
      just aside the border with Slovakia. Dubne was in the powiat (county) of
      Nowy Sacz and was part of Austrian Galicia.

      This list of surnames from Dubne includes Kostiszak/Kostyszak/Kostyshak
      (it's a typo, missing the 1st 's'):
      http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/new/107.htm

      Here's another page on Dubne:
      http://www.lemko.org/lih/churchir/dubne.html

      Sites you should consult on Lemko Rusyns:

      www.c-rs.org (publishes a nice newsletter and has many Rusyn genealogy
      links & history info on its site)
      www.lemko.org (lots on Lemko history & culture)
      www.carpatho-rusyn.org (lots more on Lemko Rusyn history, culture,
      genealogy, etc.)

      Records from neighboring Leluchow / Leljuchiv (which explicitly or by
      association contain much info for Dubne) used to be online but the site is
      now gone. However, you may be able to access them still at
      http://web.archive.org/web/20040205160021/http://www.censusgiver.com/records
      .htm

      Good luck, fellow Rusyn!
      Rich Custer

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2004
        Rich,
        Thank you for the great information.

        John Vamos

        I am looking for information about my great-grandfather George Kosticak( or
        similar spellings) who emigrated to the US in 1880 and lived in the
        Pittsburgh, PA and Homestead, PA areas. A marriage certificate from 1881
        indicates that he was from Dumna, Galicia. I have searched ShtetlSeeker
        and have not found that spelling: there are many towns with variations of
        the spelling (Domonya, Domenya, Domanya) some in Hungary and some in what
        is probaly the Ukraine. From what little I know about Galicia, I think
        that the western part was largely Polish Catholic. The 1881 marriage
        certificate was from St Stanislaus Kosta church which was a Polish church.
        Family oral history suggests that George may have been "Russian". I would
        appreciate any insight into the present day location of "Dumna" Galicia.

        Thanks.

        John Vamos

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor