Re: [S-R] Balon - Vrbjar families

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2004
      At 09:47 PM 8/27/2004 -0400, countrygal444 wrote:
      > Thanks for this info, it helps alot, now I know the name on the
      > Intention papers is correct. I checked the phone book but since there is
      > no addresses

      If you click on the name, it will give you the street address and phone
      number of the person. Since you know the town is Muran, you can look up
      the postal code for the town and you have all the information to send a
      form letter if you choose to do so. Also, the LDS has microfilmed the
      church registers and the microfilms are available through your local LDS
      Family History Center. I believe the Roman Catholic and Evangelical church
      records for Muran are with the town of Muranska Dlha Luka church
      records. You can find the microfilm numbers at: http://tinyurl.com/6t63o

      The Ellis Island Database shows:

      Balon,Andras Murany 1901 25

      Balon,Gyorgy Murany 1901 23

      Balon,Gyuro Murany 1901 26 going to cousin in Johnstown

      Balon,Janos Murany 1901 40 going to Johnstown

      Balon,Zanzsi Murany 1902 18 (traveling to husband in Johnstown)

      Balon,James Murany 1902 0 (traveling with mother, Zanzsi)

      John M

      > and most likely they couldn't understand what I wrote anyway I won't go
      > that route just yet. I am going to search for some census records even
      > thought I don't trust them completely they may give me some ideas, that's
      > if I can find them that is : ) .I will also be looking for the ship
      > Martin came across on, the Carpathia, that way I can maybe find out if
      > him and brother George came across together and if their wives where with
      > them. I haven't found Georges naturalization paper. Sara--- On Thu
      > 08/26, John M, < jmatsko4@... > wrote:From: John M,
      > [mailto: jmatsko4@...]To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comDate: Thu,
      > 26 Aug 2004 21:39:24 -0600Subject: Re: [S-R] Balon - Vrbjar familiesAt
      > 09:03 PM 8/26/2004 +0000, you wrote:>Hi everyone,>I am new and hope
      > I can find someone here to help me get through the>brick wall I have
      > hit.>I am working on my sister-in-laws part of the Deffenbaugh family
      > but>can't locate any info for her ggrandparents.>I am looking for
      > Joseph Vrbjar (sometimes spelled Verbiar) who lived>in Johnstown, PA
      > but came from Czech (sorry I can't spell the whole>name yet), they are
      > Joseph Vrbjar and wife Maria, they had the>following children that we
      > know about, there may be more: Rose J. b.>28 Oct. 1885 d. 4 Oct. 1975,
      > she married George W. Balon b. 9 Feb.>1876 in Murany, Czech

      >In what is now Slovakia there is a town named Muran~. It was known as
      >Murany from 1898-1902. It also had several other names over the years
      >that were variations on Murany. Some had the German Unter (meaning below
      >or lower) preceding the name of the town. Czechoslovakia did not come
      >into existence until after WWI. It split in 1993 into the Czech and
      >Slovak Republics, Prior to WWI, and when George W. Balon was born, the
      >area was under Hungarian rule for about 8oo years.The Slovak online phone
      >book lists about 15 Balon and Balonova in Slovakia but none in
      >Muran~. There are six Vrbjar listed in Muran~ and a total of 41 in all of
      >Slovakia.http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html (SK online phone
      >directory)John MTo unsubscribe from this group, go to
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >To visit your group on the web, go
      >to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/
      >To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
      >to:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • John M,
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 31, 2004
        At 09:38 AM 8/27/2004 -0400, you wrote:
        >In a message dated 8/26/2004 10:10:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        >jmatsko4@... writes:
        >http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html (SK online phone directory)
        >What would be the online phone directory for the Czech Republic?
        >Thanks,
        >Mike in San Jose, CA

        http://phone.quick.cz/

        Click on the English flag in the menu to get the English version.

        John M