RE: [S-R] Balon - Vrbjar families

  • countrygal444
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2004
      Hi Bill, So far all I have to go on is obituaries and Martin Balons naturalization declaration of intention paper from Cambria Co, PA where he settled. The paper show he arrived from the port of Fiume, Italy to NY 25 Feb. 1905 and brought his wife. According to this paper his home was Murany, Czechoslovakia. I checked out Ellis Island and came up empty, I found some Balon's from Murany but Martin sailed on the ship S.S. Carpathia and none of the names I found either left Italy or were the ship Carpathia. I also checked some of the other websites listed on that link and came up empty. My biggest problem is most records are in Polish (I think that is the language) and I don't speak a word of it. I also checked the LDS website for both Balon and Vrbjar and came up empty. I have no information about Rose Vrbjar Balon at all except what is in her obit. My sister-in-law is no help at all either. Sara--- On Fri 08/27, Bill Tarkulich < bill.tarkulich@... > wrote:From: Bill Tarkulich [mailto: bill.tarkulich@...]To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comDate: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:30:30 -0400Subject: RE: [S-R] Balon - Vrbjar familiesWhat work have you done to locate and verify the village name? This is theessential piece of information you need to make good and proper headway.Usually naturalization information doesn't contain the details you need.See http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm for several usefulsources for identifying and corrobrating the village name.Once you have the village name (records are organized geographically) youcan make the next step to European records, especially the vital records.Good Luck,______________Bill Tarkulich -----Original Message-----From: Sara [mailto:countrygal444@...] Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 5:03 PMTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comSubject: [S-R] Balon - Vrbjar familiesHi everyone,I am new and hope I can find someone here to help me get through the brick wall I have hit.I am working on my sister-in-laws part of the Deffenbaugh family but can't locate any info for her ggrandparents.I am looking for Joseph Vrbjar (sometimes spelled Verbiar) who lived in Johnstown, PA but came from Czech (sorry I can't spell the whole name yet), they are Joseph Vrbjar and wife Maria, they had the following children that we know about, there may be more: Rose J. b. 28 Oct. 1885 d. 4 Oct. 1975, she married George W. Balon b. 9 Feb. 1876 in Murany, Czech d. 8 Nov. 1954 in Johnstown, their children were Susan m. Charles K. Stewart, Margaret m. John W. Bobak, Anna m. William Matonik.I no further info on Joseph and Maria Vrbjar, that is where the line stops.George W. Balon is the s/o George Balon and Susan/Suzanna Frisnak , I know about the two sons, George and brother Martin b. 30 Oct 1878 in Murany m. Susanna Majercik b. 26 May 1888 or 13 Dec. 1887 d. 3 June 1969 in Johnstown. I found Martins naturalization here in Cambria County and have all their children, I think.I tried searching different websites but alot of what I found was in Polish, which I don't speak a word of (except Perogi, which I love) so any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.To unsubscribe from this group, go tohttp://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email toSLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Yahoo! Groups LinksTo unsubscribe from this group, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • countrygal444
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 27, 2004
        Thanks for this info, it helps alot, now I know the name on the Intention papers is correct. I checked the phone book but since there is no addresses and most likely they couldn't understand what I wrote anyway I won't go that route just yet. I am going to search for some census records even thought I don't trust them completely they may give me some ideas, that's if I can find them that is : ) .I will also be looking for the ship Martin came across on, the Carpathia, that way I can maybe find out if him and brother George came across together and if their wives where with them. I haven't found Georges naturalization paper. Sara--- On Thu 08/26, John M, < jmatsko4@... > wrote:From: John M, [mailto: jmatsko4@...]To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comDate: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:39:24 -0600Subject: Re: [S-R] Balon - Vrbjar familiesAt 09:03 PM 8/26/2004 +0000, you wrote:>Hi everyone,>I am new and hope I can find someone here to help me get through the>brick wall I have hit.>I am working on my sister-in-laws part of the Deffenbaugh family but>can't locate any info for her ggrandparents.>I am looking for Joseph Vrbjar (sometimes spelled Verbiar) who lived>in Johnstown, PA but came from Czech (sorry I can't spell the whole>name yet), they are Joseph Vrbjar and wife Maria, they had the>following children that we know about, there may be more: Rose J. b.>28 Oct. 1885 d. 4 Oct. 1975, she married George W. Balon b. 9 Feb.>1876 in Murany, CzechIn what is now Slovakia there is a town named Muran~. It was known as Murany from 1898-1902. It also had several other names over the years that were variations on Murany. Some had the German Unter (meaning below or lower) preceding the name of the town. Czechoslovakia did not come into existence until after WWI. It split in 1993 into the Czech and Slovak Republics, Prior to WWI, and when George W. Balon was born, the area was under Hungarian rule for about 8oo years.The Slovak online phone book lists about 15 Balon and Balonova in Slovakia but none in Muran~. There are six Vrbjar listed in Muran~ and a total of 41 in all of Slovakia.http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html (SK online phone directory)John MTo unsubscribe from this group, go to http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John M,
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27, 2004
          At 09:47 PM 8/27/2004 -0400, countrygal444 wrote:
          > Thanks for this info, it helps alot, now I know the name on the
          > Intention papers is correct. I checked the phone book but since there is
          > no addresses

          If you click on the name, it will give you the street address and phone
          number of the person. Since you know the town is Muran, you can look up
          the postal code for the town and you have all the information to send a
          form letter if you choose to do so. Also, the LDS has microfilmed the
          church registers and the microfilms are available through your local LDS
          Family History Center. I believe the Roman Catholic and Evangelical church
          records for Muran are with the town of Muranska Dlha Luka church
          records. You can find the microfilm numbers at: http://tinyurl.com/6t63o

          The Ellis Island Database shows:

          Balon,Andras Murany 1901 25

          Balon,Gyorgy Murany 1901 23

          Balon,Gyuro Murany 1901 26 going to cousin in Johnstown

          Balon,Janos Murany 1901 40 going to Johnstown

          Balon,Zanzsi Murany 1902 18 (traveling to husband in Johnstown)

          Balon,James Murany 1902 0 (traveling with mother, Zanzsi)

          John M

          > and most likely they couldn't understand what I wrote anyway I won't go
          > that route just yet. I am going to search for some census records even
          > thought I don't trust them completely they may give me some ideas, that's
          > if I can find them that is : ) .I will also be looking for the ship
          > Martin came across on, the Carpathia, that way I can maybe find out if
          > him and brother George came across together and if their wives where with
          > them. I haven't found Georges naturalization paper. Sara--- On Thu
          > 08/26, John M, < jmatsko4@... > wrote:From: John M,
          > [mailto: jmatsko4@...]To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comDate: Thu,
          > 26 Aug 2004 21:39:24 -0600Subject: Re: [S-R] Balon - Vrbjar familiesAt
          > 09:03 PM 8/26/2004 +0000, you wrote:>Hi everyone,>I am new and hope
          > I can find someone here to help me get through the>brick wall I have
          > hit.>I am working on my sister-in-laws part of the Deffenbaugh family
          > but>can't locate any info for her ggrandparents.>I am looking for
          > Joseph Vrbjar (sometimes spelled Verbiar) who lived>in Johnstown, PA
          > but came from Czech (sorry I can't spell the whole>name yet), they are
          > Joseph Vrbjar and wife Maria, they had the>following children that we
          > know about, there may be more: Rose J. b.>28 Oct. 1885 d. 4 Oct. 1975,
          > she married George W. Balon b. 9 Feb.>1876 in Murany, Czech

          >In what is now Slovakia there is a town named Muran~. It was known as
          >Murany from 1898-1902. It also had several other names over the years
          >that were variations on Murany. Some had the German Unter (meaning below
          >or lower) preceding the name of the town. Czechoslovakia did not come
          >into existence until after WWI. It split in 1993 into the Czech and
          >Slovak Republics, Prior to WWI, and when George W. Balon was born, the
          >area was under Hungarian rule for about 8oo years.The Slovak online phone
          >book lists about 15 Balon and Balonova in Slovakia but none in
          >Muran~. There are six Vrbjar listed in Muran~ and a total of 41 in all of
          >Slovakia.http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html (SK online phone
          >directory)John MTo unsubscribe from this group, go to
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >To visit your group on the web, go
          >to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/
          >To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
          >to:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • John M,
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 31, 2004
            At 09:38 AM 8/27/2004 -0400, you wrote:
            >In a message dated 8/26/2004 10:10:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            >jmatsko4@... writes:
            >http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html (SK online phone directory)
            >What would be the online phone directory for the Czech Republic?
            >Thanks,
            >Mike in San Jose, CA

            http://phone.quick.cz/

            Click on the English flag in the menu to get the English version.

            John M