Surname help

  • jwm469@wireweb.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8, 2004
      I am asking for help in deciding wher to try to look next. My great-grandmother Maria Bratko married my great-
      grandfather Andrew Molchany (Molcsany/Molcanyi) around 1891shortly before he left for America. Their first son
      Andrew was born in Dec 1892 in Jurske, Slovakia. (I have the Molcanyi family traced back to about 1800 in Jurske.)

      I have been trying for 10+ years to find the village that my great-grandmother may have been from. There is no
      information in the Ellis Island records on-line. In fact the link is wrong and it took me weeks to find the correct record
      (which I have misplaced/mis-filed). I have been told that there were Bratko's in Bratislava. But I think that is too large a
      city to try to find her.

      Does anyone have any ideas where I might look? My gut tells me that she might have been from a village to the east.
      There are more Molcanyis to the east of Jurske. A Nicholas Molchany, a Greek Catholic priest was from 'Bajer Vagas,
      Saros". I think the Molchanys migrated west from that area, maybe even Svidnik and surrounds. I was once told the
      names that end in 'ko' are most likely Rusyn. That makes me want to look east. Another cousin said that his relatives
      said the Molcanyi name is Rusyn. My paternal grandmother said that the family was part Russian - but prbably meant
      Rusyn.

      I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Jerry
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8, 2004
        Have you considered looking at the other BRATKO manifest entries to see from
        where these folk came?

        Have you used the online phonebook, with an areacode of zero?
        http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/plsql/ccat_002en$.startup
        Have you looked up both surnames here and try to correlate to a village in
        which both surnames may be present?

        If you are looking for Maria Molcsany June 17, 1895 manifest,
        Go here http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/mm.htm?back=index.htm
        Enter Series M237, Roll 643, Frame 290. You will find her on that page.
        Traveled with 2 year old child ANDRO.

        Have you used 1-step
        http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisshort.html

        Bajer Vagas is present-day BAJEROVCE, but priests get assigned to many
        distant villages.

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8, 2004
          >At 06:40 PM 8/8/2004 -0500, you wrote:
          >
          >Does anyone have any ideas where I might look? My gut tells me that she
          >might have been from a village to the east. There are more Molcanyis to
          >the east of Jurske. A Nicholas Molchany, a Greek Catholic priest was from
          >'Bajer Vagas,

          I found 57 Bratko listings in the SK online phone directory. From just a
          cursory scan of the listings, there appear to be Bratkos in many areas of
          Slovakia including Eastern Slovakia. Go
          to http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html and place a "0" (without the
          quotes) in the area telephone code window. Search for Bratko and check to
          see if any are located in the villages near Jurske. Instead of using the
          "0", you might try placing at least the first three letters of the nearby
          villages in the town window to see if you can find a Bratko nearby. I
          tried Jurske and a couple of towns nearby but did not find any.

          John M.
        • Bohdana Badzio
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 9, 2004
            Hello Jerry,

            have you located the marriage record for Maria Bratko and Andrew
            Molchany, for example on an FHL microfilm? It should have information
            on the bride's home village, among other. If the Molchanys had lived
            in Jurske since 1800 and Maria and Andrew's son was born there, I'd
            say Jurske would be the first place to look for a marriage record.
            For Jurske, FHL has Roman Catholic church books for years 1768-1897
            and Evangelical ones for 1808 - 1906 <www.familysearch.org>.

            By the way, familysearch.org lists an International Genealogical
            Index (IGI) entry for MARY BRATKO, born 14 AUG 1883 in Zaborow
            Brzesko, Galizien Kroenlande, Austria, died 14 MAY 1954. Parents were
            ANDREW BRATKO and SOPHIE ANTOSZ:

            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

            A Zaborow, in the vicinity of Brzesko, may be the one found now
            about 16mi North-West of Tarnow in Poland, some 45mi North of Jurske,
            and across the current Poland-Slovakia border. In 1991, there were
            170 BRATKOs still living in the region of Tarnow, the gratest
            concentration of BRATKOs in Poland (www.herby.pl/herby/).

            This Mary would be, of course, too young to be your ggm, if the dates
            in this IGI entry are correct. On the whole, this is just a side
            note, as the accuracy of the IGI entries should not be taken for
            granted.

            Regards,

            Bohdana Badzio

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, jwm469@w... wrote:
            > I am asking for help in deciding wher to try to look next. My
            great-grandmother Maria Bratko married my great-
            > grandfather Andrew Molchany (Molcsany/Molcanyi) around 1891shortly
            before he left for America. Their first son
            > Andrew was born in Dec 1892 in Jurske, Slovakia. (I have the
            Molcanyi family traced back to about 1800 in Jurske.)

            > I have been trying for 10+ years to find the village that my great-
            grandmother may have been from. There is no
            > information in the Ellis Island records on-line. In fact the link
            is wrong and it took me weeks to find the correct record
            > (which I have misplaced/mis-filed). I have been told that there
            were Bratko's in Bratislava. But I think that is too large a
            > city to try to find her.
            >
            > Does anyone have any ideas where I might look? My gut tells me
            that she might have been from a village to the east.
            > There are more Molcanyis to the east of Jurske. A Nicholas
            Molchany, a Greek Catholic priest was from 'Bajer Vagas,
            > Saros". I think the Molchanys migrated west from that area, maybe
            even Svidnik and surrounds. I was once told the
            > names that end in 'ko' are most likely Rusyn. That makes me want
            to look east. Another cousin said that his relatives
            > said the Molcanyi name is Rusyn. My paternal grandmother said that
            the family was part Russian - but prbably meant
            > Rusyn.
            >
            > I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Jerry
          • Bohdana Badzio
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 9, 2004
              By the way, from the Ukrainian speaker's point of view, BRATKO is a
              diminutive of "brat", which is "brother". The word also exists ib
              Polish, Czech (bratr) and probably Slovak (don't have a dictionary
              handy to check).

              Perhaps you already knew that...

              Regards,

              Bohdana

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, jwm469@w... wrote:
              > I am asking for help in deciding wher to try to look next. My
              great-grandmother Maria Bratko married my great-
              > grandfather Andrew Molchany (Molcsany/Molcanyi) around 1891shortly
              before he left for America. Their first son
              > Andrew was born in Dec 1892 in Jurske, Slovakia. (I have the
              Molcanyi family traced back to about 1800 in Jurske.)

              > I have been trying for 10+ years to find the village that my great-
              grandmother may have been from. There is no
              > information in the Ellis Island records on-line. In fact the link
              is wrong and it took me weeks to find the correct record
              > (which I have misplaced/mis-filed). I have been told that there
              were Bratko's in Bratislava. But I think that is too large a
              > city to try to find her.
              >
              > Does anyone have any ideas where I might look? My gut tells me
              that she might have been from a village to the east.
              > There are more Molcanyis to the east of Jurske. A Nicholas
              Molchany, a Greek Catholic priest was from 'Bajer Vagas,
              > Saros". I think the Molchanys migrated west from that area, maybe
              even Svidnik and surrounds. I was once told the
              > names that end in 'ko' are most likely Rusyn. That makes me want
              to look east. Another cousin said that his relatives
              > said the Molcanyi name is Rusyn. My paternal grandmother said that
              the family was part Russian - but prbably meant
              > Rusyn.
              >
              > I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jerry
            • Joe Mrnka
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 10, 2004
                Bohdana,

                The diminutive of Bratr in Czech is Bratr^i'k (i'm pretty
                sure) and Bratri'k or Bratri'c^ek in Slovak, but I think I
                have heard the term Bratko as well, and that would have
                been from the old timers.

                Joe

                http://messenger.yahoo.com
              • Bohdana Badzio
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 10, 2004
                  Hello Joe,

                  thank you for the information.

                  I should've said that in Ukrainian "bratko" is one of many diminutive
                  form, and not necessarily the most common in everyday speech. It was
                  interesting to learn what such forms are in Czech and Slovak. Thank
                  you.

                  Bohdana

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Joe Mrnka <jmrnka@y...> wrote:
                  > Bohdana,
                  >
                  > The diminutive of Bratr in Czech is Bratr^i'k (i'm pretty
                  > sure) and Bratri'k or Bratri'c^ek in Slovak, but I think I
                  > have heard the term Bratko as well, and that would have
                  > been from the old timers.
                  >
                  > Joe
                • Paul Sabol
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
                    I need some assistance with surnames in Slovakia. I'm almost 100% certain my g-g-grandmother was Maria Fecso who married Andrej Sabol back in the old country (Sosujfalu). Her father was Mathias Fecso according to the local parish register.

                    Two of their sons, John and Andrew (Americanized spelling) immigrated to America in 1885. Fast forward to 1914 and Andrew dies in Yonkers, NY. On the death certificate it lists his mother's maiden name as Maria Mathias.

                    Did the Slovak culture do anything weird with female surnames where Maria might have been born a Fecso but carried her father's name as her maiden name?

                    If I didn't explain it well let me know and I'll try again.
                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
                      Paul,
                      The use of an "alias" name occurs in Slovak records.
                      Mathias is Latin for Matthew. Female names always end with "ova" in Slovakia. To have it become Mathias in America seems to indicated the change was made here. Mathias happens to be the given name of her father, as you saw. How alias names were chosen I have not discovered.
                      What is an Alias?
                      Alias or aka or nickname appears sometimes with individuals, mostly male, in church records and other documents. The main reason for someone to have an alias appears to be the need of community to tell apart several families with the same surname. Alias was always given to a person or family by the community there were living in. However, there are also instances, where someone was alone with his surname, but still had an alias. He probably brought it from another place when he married into a new community or was it given to him for some other reasons. Very often it is not possible to explain the meaning of an alias.
                      In my recent research I came across a Roman Catholic parish of Kysucke Nove Mesto, where there were very many aliases used. I found this so interesting that I transcribed some of them. From the research point of view this parish is also interesting because it is very hard to figure out, when one name is an alias and the other is a regular surname and vice versa. Several aliases namely gradually changed into regular surnames. Names and aliases are written as found in the Church records from 1880 till 1895.
                      There is a thread at Ancestry.com on Slovak alias names. If you care to read that discussion go to - http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.ceeurope.slovakia.general/1749.1/mb.ashx