RE: Ethnography was RE: [S-R] Re: 1869 Hungarian census

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7 6:56 PM
      Tradicie slovenskej rodiny (Slovak Family Traditions), 1997
      Sources for purchase:
      http://stores.ebay.com/Slovak-Import-Company US$25
      http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/familytraditions.htm US$56.95
      http://www.slovakic.com/index.php?category=BMHISTORY US$25

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 7 7:00 PM
        Dear Bill,

        Thank you for a link to such an informative site.

        Dr. "Q"

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 7 7:31 PM
          The work I found reference to was entitled “Encyclopedia of Folk Culture in
          Slovakia“ (Encyklopédia µudovej kultúry Slovenska), published in 1995 by
          VEDA in Bratislava, The review said it was also available on CD-ROM, but in
          neither case does it appear to be available in English.

          The book you have mentioned sounds like a welcome addition, even if it only
          has 32 pages in English. I see that Bill Tarkulich has transcribed some
          paragraphs from this at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/traditions.htm.
          There is enough there to affirm many similarities with the customs described
          in Fel and Hofer's “Proper Peasants," which of course goes into much greater
          detail.

          I still think a full book in English would be most welcome.

          Janet
        • Gregory J Kopchak
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7 9:21 PM
            Janet:

            We have sold the Slovak Family Traditions book in the past and although
            only a small part is in English and the photos are sepia only, it is well
            worth it.

            You will enjoy it.

            Greg Kopchak

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
              Janet,
              I'm going to order a copy of "Proper Peasants." Thanks for your suggestion.
              Bill

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                Bill and Janet,
                where can one order a copy of "Proper Peasants"? I could not find anything.
                thanks,
                Noreen

              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                  Dear Noreen,

                  There are 33 copies of it at www.abebooks.com, starting at $12.00.

                  Janet

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                    That's where I'm heading. I've probably purchased over 40 books via the
                    abebooks network. Best thing that's happened to out of print book
                    distribution in decades....

                  • nhasior@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                      Janet,