RE: Ethnography was RE: [S-R] Re: 1869 Hungarian census

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7, 2004
      I have excerpted some interesting passages from this Slovak-language book.'
      You can find them here
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/traditions.htm

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 7, 2004
        Tradicie slovenskej rodiny (Slovak Family Traditions), 1997
        Sources for purchase:
        http://stores.ebay.com/Slovak-Import-Company US$25
        http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/familytraditions.htm US$56.95
        http://www.slovakic.com/index.php?category=BMHISTORY US$25

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        >Thanks for providing in interesting description of medieval house
        >architecture. It is too bad that the author did not make any
        >comparisons with 18th and 19th century practices. The use of logs,
        >however, seems to have continued.
        >
        >I have looked in vain for an English-language book on Slovak
        >ethnography. There is apparently an excellent study published in the
        >last decade, but it is in Slovak only. I think there would be
        >considerable potential readership for such a book in English.

        Are you speaking of "Tradicie slovenskey rodiny" (Slovak Family
        Traditions)? It covers the 19th and 20th century. I recently received a
        paperback copy (8" x 11.5") of this book from my cousin in Prague. It has
        a 32 page summary in English including translations of the 133 illustration
        captions. Chapter 7, "Rodina v dome a vo dvore" (A family in their house
        and yard), has a few blueprints and several illustrations of some of the
        living quarters. It also describes quarters and living arrangements. The
        summary is done chapter by chapter. In addition, the summary provides a
        translation for a few diagrams and maps.

        The chapters include:
        1. Introduction
        2. Family forms in Slovakia
        3. Family names
        4. The family and the village
        5. Changes in the life of a family member
        6. Division and inheritance of family property
        7. A family in their house and yard
        8. Relationships between families
        9. Regulating birth rate
        10. Family customs

        It also has about 12 pages of literature references.

        The authors are Marta Botkova, Son~a S^vecova and Kornelia Jukubikova. It
        is published by VEDA, Bratislava 1997, ISBN 80-224-0461-6, 242 Pgs.

        John M

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dr. Joe Q.
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 7, 2004
          Dear Bill,

          Thank you for a link to such an informative site.

          Dr. "Q"

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7, 2004
            The work I found reference to was entitled “Encyclopedia of Folk Culture in
            Slovakia“ (Encyklopédia µudovej kultúry Slovenska), published in 1995 by
            VEDA in Bratislava, The review said it was also available on CD-ROM, but in
            neither case does it appear to be available in English.

            The book you have mentioned sounds like a welcome addition, even if it only
            has 32 pages in English. I see that Bill Tarkulich has transcribed some
            paragraphs from this at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/traditions.htm.
            There is enough there to affirm many similarities with the customs described
            in Fel and Hofer's “Proper Peasants," which of course goes into much greater
            detail.

            I still think a full book in English would be most welcome.

            Janet
          • Gregory J Kopchak
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 7, 2004
              Janet:

              We have sold the Slovak Family Traditions book in the past and although
              only a small part is in English and the photos are sepia only, it is well
              worth it.

              You will enjoy it.

              Greg Kopchak

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                Janet,
                I'm going to order a copy of "Proper Peasants." Thanks for your suggestion.
                Bill

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                  Bill and Janet,
                  where can one order a copy of "Proper Peasants"? I could not find anything.
                  thanks,
                  Noreen

                • Janet Kozlay
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                    Dear Noreen,

                    There are 33 copies of it at www.abebooks.com, starting at $12.00.

                    Janet

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                      That's where I'm heading. I've probably purchased over 40 books via the
                      abebooks network. Best thing that's happened to out of print book
                      distribution in decades....

                    • nhasior@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                        Janet,