Ethnography was RE: [S-R] Re: 1869 Hungarian census

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7 2:28 PM
      At 08:05 AM 8/7/2004 -0400, you wrote:
      >Thanks for providing in interesting description of medieval house
      >architecture. It is too bad that the author did not make any comparisons
      >with 18th and 19th century practices. The use of logs, however, seems to
      >have continued.
      >
      >I have looked in vain for an English-language book on Slovak ethnography.
      >There is apparently an excellent study published in the last decade, but it
      >is in Slovak only. I think there would be considerable potential readership
      >for such a book in English.

      Are you speaking of "Tradicie slovenskey rodiny" (Slovak Family
      Traditions)? It covers the 19th and 20th century. I recently received a
      paperback copy (8" x 11.5") of this book from my cousin in Prague. It has
      a 32 page summary in English including translations of the 133 illustration
      captions. Chapter 7, "Rodina v dome a vo dvore" (A family in their house
      and yard), has a few blueprints and several illustrations of some of the
      living quarters. It also describes quarters and living arrangements. The
      summary is done chapter by chapter. In addition, the summary provides a
      translation for a few diagrams and maps.

      The chapters include:
      1. Introduction
      2. Family forms in Slovakia
      3. Family names
      4. The family and the village
      5. Changes in the life of a family member
      6. Division and inheritance of family property
      7. A family in their house and yard
      8. Relationships between families
      9. Regulating birth rate
      10. Family customs

      It also has about 12 pages of literature references.

      The authors are Marta Botkova, Son~a S^vecova and Kornelia Jukubikova. It
      is published by VEDA, Bratislava 1997, ISBN 80-224-0461-6, 242 Pgs.

      John M
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 7 6:26 PM
        I have excerpted some interesting passages from this Slovak-language book.'
        You can find them here
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/traditions.htm

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        >Thanks for providing in interesting description of medieval house
        >architecture. It is too bad that the author did not make any
        >comparisons with 18th and 19th century practices. The use of logs,
        >however, seems to have continued.
        >
        >I have looked in vain for an English-language book on Slovak
        >ethnography. There is apparently an excellent study published in the
        >last decade, but it is in Slovak only. I think there would be
        >considerable potential readership for such a book in English.

        Are you speaking of "Tradicie slovenskey rodiny" (Slovak Family
        Traditions)? It covers the 19th and 20th century. I recently received a
        paperback copy (8" x 11.5") of this book from my cousin in Prague. It has
        a 32 page summary in English including translations of the 133 illustration
        captions. Chapter 7, "Rodina v dome a vo dvore" (A family in their house
        and yard), has a few blueprints and several illustrations of some of the
        living quarters. It also describes quarters and living arrangements. The
        summary is done chapter by chapter. In addition, the summary provides a
        translation for a few diagrams and maps.

        The chapters include:
        1. Introduction
        2. Family forms in Slovakia
        3. Family names
        4. The family and the village
        5. Changes in the life of a family member
        6. Division and inheritance of family property
        7. A family in their house and yard
        8. Relationships between families
        9. Regulating birth rate
        10. Family customs

        It also has about 12 pages of literature references.

        The authors are Marta Botkova, Son~a S^vecova and Kornelia Jukubikova. It
        is published by VEDA, Bratislava 1997, ISBN 80-224-0461-6, 242 Pgs.

        John M

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 7 6:56 PM
          Tradicie slovenskej rodiny (Slovak Family Traditions), 1997
          Sources for purchase:
          http://stores.ebay.com/Slovak-Import-Company US$25
          http://www.slovakheritage.org/Shopping/Books/familytraditions.htm US$56.95
          http://www.slovakic.com/index.php?category=BMHISTORY US$25

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          >Thanks for providing in interesting description of medieval house
          >architecture. It is too bad that the author did not make any
          >comparisons with 18th and 19th century practices. The use of logs,
          >however, seems to have continued.
          >
          >I have looked in vain for an English-language book on Slovak
          >ethnography. There is apparently an excellent study published in the
          >last decade, but it is in Slovak only. I think there would be
          >considerable potential readership for such a book in English.

          Are you speaking of "Tradicie slovenskey rodiny" (Slovak Family
          Traditions)? It covers the 19th and 20th century. I recently received a
          paperback copy (8" x 11.5") of this book from my cousin in Prague. It has
          a 32 page summary in English including translations of the 133 illustration
          captions. Chapter 7, "Rodina v dome a vo dvore" (A family in their house
          and yard), has a few blueprints and several illustrations of some of the
          living quarters. It also describes quarters and living arrangements. The
          summary is done chapter by chapter. In addition, the summary provides a
          translation for a few diagrams and maps.

          The chapters include:
          1. Introduction
          2. Family forms in Slovakia
          3. Family names
          4. The family and the village
          5. Changes in the life of a family member
          6. Division and inheritance of family property
          7. A family in their house and yard
          8. Relationships between families
          9. Regulating birth rate
          10. Family customs

          It also has about 12 pages of literature references.

          The authors are Marta Botkova, Son~a S^vecova and Kornelia Jukubikova. It
          is published by VEDA, Bratislava 1997, ISBN 80-224-0461-6, 242 Pgs.

          John M

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Dr. Joe Q.
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7 7:00 PM
            Dear Bill,

            Thank you for a link to such an informative site.

            Dr. "Q"

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 7 7:31 PM
              The work I found reference to was entitled “Encyclopedia of Folk Culture in
              Slovakia“ (Encyklopédia µudovej kultúry Slovenska), published in 1995 by
              VEDA in Bratislava, The review said it was also available on CD-ROM, but in
              neither case does it appear to be available in English.

              The book you have mentioned sounds like a welcome addition, even if it only
              has 32 pages in English. I see that Bill Tarkulich has transcribed some
              paragraphs from this at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/traditions.htm.
              There is enough there to affirm many similarities with the customs described
              in Fel and Hofer's “Proper Peasants," which of course goes into much greater
              detail.

              I still think a full book in English would be most welcome.

              Janet
            • Gregory J Kopchak
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 7 9:21 PM
                Janet:

                We have sold the Slovak Family Traditions book in the past and although
                only a small part is in English and the photos are sepia only, it is well
                worth it.

                You will enjoy it.

                Greg Kopchak

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                  Janet,
                  I'm going to order a copy of "Proper Peasants." Thanks for your suggestion.
                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                    Bill and Janet,
                    where can one order a copy of "Proper Peasants"? I could not find anything.
                    thanks,
                    Noreen

                  • Janet Kozlay
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                      Dear Noreen,

                      There are 33 copies of it at www.abebooks.com, starting at $12.00.

                      Janet

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                        That's where I'm heading. I've probably purchased over 40 books via the
                        abebooks network. Best thing that's happened to out of print book
                        distribution in decades....

                      • nhasior@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 6, 2004
                          Janet,