How People Lived - Was Census

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2004
      Last November I returned from a trip through Czechia-Slovakia-Hungary
      and brought a few books that I have sought for a long, long time.
      Surprisingly they are published in Hungary, which has historically
      been very chauvinistic and paternalistic in opinions and
      presentations. It seems the world can change! By the way, if you
      are ever in Budapest, find time to visit the Ethnography Museum which
      does cover the many peoples of old Hungary, not just Magyars. The
      two treasures are two volumes of "A Cultural History of Hungary" with
      subtitles "From the Beginnings to the Eighteenth Century" and "In the
      Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries" with both edited by Laszlo Kosa,
      ISBN 963-13-4836-9 and ISBN 963-13-4945-4. The English is excellent,
      reading easy and they are quite informative. They tell just where
      gaps in information exist and what sources are available, and they
      report on both rich and poor life styles.

      More specific Slovak information can be found in "Slovakia, European
      Contexts of the Folk Culture" by VEDA Publishing House of the Slovak
      Academy of Sciences, Bratislava 1997, ISBN 80-224-0502-7 which
      presents English articles on many aspects of life, architecture, art
      and tools with supporting photos and illustrations. This is based on
      the Slovak language "Ethnografick√Ĺ Atlas Slovenska" 1990 ISBN 80-224-
      0075-0 that is about 18" x 20". Fortunately I was living in Europe
      at the time I discovered it and it fit in my car!

      The lack of western histories on this part of Europe has been a life
      long frustration, so I started collecting anything I could find and
      afford in 1970. I recommend the first three English language books,
      and the fourth in Slovak language if you find it in a library.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
      wrote:
      > Thanks for providing in interesting description of medieval house
      > architecture. It is too bad that the author did not make any
      comparisons
      > with 18th and 19th century practices. The use of logs, however,
      seems to
      > have continued.
      >
      > I have looked in vain for an English-language book on Slovak
      ethnography.
      > There is apparently an excellent study published in the last
      decade, but it
      > is in Slovak only. I think there would be considerable potential
      readership
      > for such a book in English.
      >
      > The closest thing I have been able to find is a compilation of six
      scholarly
      > papers entitled "The Persistence of Regional Cultures: Rusyns &
      Ukrainians
      > in their Carpathian Homeland and Abroad," edited by Paul Robert
      Magosci, No.
      > 5 of the Classics of Carpatho-Rusyn Scholarship series. Although
      it is
      > available from the Expatriate Bookshop of Denmark, they want $50.00
      for it,
      > which I think is very expensive. I have ordered one item from this
      source,
      > also expensive, and it took many weeks for it to arrive despite
      what I
      > thought was a very high shipping fee.
      >
      > I believe that Fel and Hofer's "Proper Peasants" has achieved a
      pretty wide
      > readership, and many copies are available through abebooks.com at
      very
      > reasonable prices. Although this is an intensive study of one
      Hungarian