Folk Art and Architecture in Slovakia, Poland and Ukraine - An Annotated Bibliography

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2004
      Ms. Danusha Goska has asked me to publish to the web her annotated
      bibliolography of folk art and architecture in Slovakia, Poland and Ukraine.
      I have done so with great pleasure.

      Folk Art and Architecture in Slovakia, Poland and Ukraine - An Annotated
      Bibliography
      Introduction
      Those with an interest in the Folk Art and Architecture of Poland, Ukraine
      and Slovakia who wish to delve well below the veneer of popular overview
      writings with find this material to be intriguing and a useful reference.
      Ms. Goska has developed this bibliography as part of her graduate thesis at
      the University of Indiana in 2004. It will be of particular interest to
      English-speaking readers, since it only includes references to
      English-language documents. Ms. Goshka has taken the time to extend the
      bibliography to include an annotated summary of each reference’s contents
      and main point.
      For the casual researcher of this material, who may be exploring these
      issues to understand his/her cultural background or a genealogy researcher,
      this is a welcome addition. It is a difficult task for the casual reader to
      uncover this material, making reading on this material to generally be “slim
      pickings.” It includes material sourced from many nations and many
      perspectives: academic studies to newspaper articles, most dating before the
      “Velvet Revolution” of 1989.
      Topics range from “Everything you wanted to know about building a thatched
      dwelling” to Folk art theft. The bibliography avoids many of the
      popular-press pieces which are readily accessible.
      Time is taken to describe the selection methodology and process. Ms. Goshka
      presents the summaries in a plain-English style, making is readable by a
      wide audience range.
      While digging up these articles may be a challenge, the heavy lifting has
      been done by Ms. Goshka. She has focused the reader on little-known region.
      It is Ms. Goshka’s hope that this material will extend its original thesis
      purpose to that of generating exposure to a long-neglected region of the
      world rich in Folk Architecture and Art. We thank her for her generosity.

      You will find the entire bibliography here
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/art_and_arch.htm

      Enjoy!

      Bill Tarkulich