RE: [S-R] Re: 1869 Hungarian census

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 6, 2004
      Frank,

      Where did you get your information that most houses had only one room? A
      search on “Slovak house architecture“ resulted in the following
      descriptions:

      “For original folk architecture, the wooden three-room houses are the most
      typical examples."

      “. . . true Slovak architecture. The houses reflect the needs of the Slovak
      peasants in the last few centuries. They are very utilitarian and built to
      withstand cold winters. The traditional layout is a long building with the
      kitchen in the center. While they may look small these houses were
      originally made to house multiple families - often 4 families lived in one
      house. The kitchens are quite large however, as each family would have their
      own stove."

      [Upper Saris and Northern Zemplin] “The largest part is devoted to the
      characteristic three-room house. (main chamber, parlor and storage room)
      with subsequent addition of outbuildings (stable, barnyard sheds)."

      “...preserved two-room and three-room log houses that belong to the typical
      buildings of the regional architecture in the northern part of the central
      Slovakia. The three-room farming log house No. 15 was built in 1886."

      The http://home.nextra.sk/sarmus/English/Expozic/skanzen.htm website has a
      beautiful picture of a typical “sleeping room“ from the museum for Upper
      Saris. Clearly no kitchen or pantry areas in this room. Another is found
      at http://www.hotelautis.szm.sk/gb101.htm, from the Museum of Liptovska
      village in Pribylina. This time the room looks arranged more like Hungarian
      ones, with the bed piled high with bedding in the corner, and a corner
      table, with benches around the sides. Again, no kitchen or pantry area in
      this room.

      The only exception I could find was the following: “Although both areas of
      the Boikian region [Ukraine] belong to the same general ethnic group,
      certain differences can be noted in the southern region especially in
      dialect and in housebuilding, the main type of house being a two-room
      structure, consisting only of an entrance hall and the house proper.”

      Balassa and Ortutay’s ethnographic study of Hungary, which also includes
      many references to Slovakia, again shows that nearly all peasant houses
      consisted of three rooms--a center kitchen, with a “dwelling room” on one
      side and pantry on the other. They also indicate that houses consisting
      only of a single room were typical only very early (11th-13th centuries).
      The same information is found in Fel and Hofer’s “Proper Peasants,” and
      while this describes a Hungarian village, the basic architecture for the
      entire Central European region seems quite similar.

      Janet

      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 12, 2006
        Trencin Census did not survive. Therefore it could not be filmed.
        Vladimir