Re: Church records Turna nad Bodvou 1886

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2004
      Hi Frank,

      Such a wealth of information... Thank you!

      Yes, I have the films you listed and am now finally getting to use my
      high school Latin.

      Initially, I am noting the details of any entries containing the name
      Ando. The Ferencz entry particularly caught my eye because it is
      close to the correct date. When Ferdinand passed away in 1976, the
      Mass card listed his birth date as 15 May 1886. It is probably
      correct, but I will feel a lot better when we get independent
      confirmation, such as the baptismal entry.
      My next step will be to get the copy of the SS-5 application and
      see if it lists Ferdinand's birth town.

      I don't want to get ahead of myself in the research, but it will also
      be fun to check out Ferdinand's father, Martin. Family tradition has
      it that he was in the Hungarian cavalry.

      But, first things first.

      - Larry

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
      > Larry
      >
      > In using Hungarian names the surname is used first followed by the
      > Christian or given name.
      > Hungarians in Hungary, Romania, Upper Hungary (i.e. Slovakia) and
      > Jugoslavija therefore write their own surnames before their given
      > names.
      > This rule was also followed in Hungarian parish church records.
      >
      > You read :
      > Nomen Nomen Parentum
      >
      > 29 Maius 1886 Ferencz Hegedüs Ando ?
      >
      > You want :
      >
      > 15 Maius 1886 Nándor Andó Márton
      >
      > (Frederick is Frigyes in Hungarian and Frico (Sk)
      >
      > The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records (1711-
      1899)
      > for Turn^a nad Bodvou, formerly Torna, Abauj-Torna megye (county,
      > Hungary.
      > Text in Latin and Hungarian.
      >
      > film #
      > 1982281
      > 1982282
      > 1982283 *
      > 1982284
      >
      > These microfilm reels are available for rental and viewing at any
      > Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.
      > 90% of patrons are non-Mormons doing surname research.
      >
      > LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS
      >
      > http://www.familysearch.org/Search/searchfhc2.asp
      >

      > Some abbreviations used for various denominations :
      > Hungarian English
      > rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
      > gk. GK. görög katholikus Greek Catholic/Byzantine
      > kg. KG. keleti görög Greek Oriental (Eastern Orthodox)
      > ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      > ref. REF. református Reformed (Calvinist)
      > izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)
      >

      > (Only the film headers are written in Slovak)
      > In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
      > Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
      > Sobás^ení = Marriages
      > Zomrelí = Deaths
      >
      > In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
      > Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism
      Records
      > Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage
      Records