Re: [S-R] Re: Church records - Turna nad Bodvou 2

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2004
      Dear Larry,
      It's Nandor, not Landor.
      Nandor is hungarian for Ferdinand.
      Regards,
      Vladimir
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Larry
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 3:01 PM
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Church records - Turna nad Bodvou 2

      Hi Frank,

      Correct.
      The entry I found in the church records is not our Ferdinand,
      obviously, since the baby died a month later. (Gotta learn Hungarian
      so I can read those notes! :-) )

      But, knowing that Lándor means Ferdinand will help our search. Also,
      since we have Ferdinand's SSN from SSDI, getting the info from the SS-
      5 will be a great help. From family contacts we know that Ferdinand
      was in Bridgeport CT by about 1900 and worked there as a woodworker.
      Contacting Ando family members currently living in the area is on
      our 'to-do' list.

      - Larry

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <lb5532@y...> wrote:
      > > Hi Frank,
      > >
      > > Thanks for the info. I have the two names from the phone book,
      and
      > > have located a possible translator for a letter I have in mind.
      > >
      > > How embarrassing, though, I didn't know you could get a copy of
      the
      > > SS-5. That would be a great help. This is indeed "our"
      Ferdinand.

      > > - Larry
      >
      > Larry,
      >
      > Since the surname was Hegedüs in that 1886 church record expect you
      > didn't have the correct Ferdinand Ando ?
      >
      > You wrote his parent's surnames were Ando and Kulcsar.
      > The Slovakia telephone directory lists 1 surname Kulcsár under
      Turn^a
      > nad Bodvou.
      > Kulcsár is a Hungarian occupational surname meaning a "key maker".
      >
      > In 1898, another Lándor (Ferdinand) Andó, age 35, married, had
      > emigrated to Pittsburgh PA from somewhere in Slovakia ?
      > This Ferdinand had been in Pittsburgh before, in 1891/1894.
      > Pittsburgh had steel mills and coal industry wheremany emigrants
      came
      > to work.
      >
      > Frank K

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor