Re: Church records - Turna nad Bodvou 2

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <lb5532@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Frank,
      >
      > Thanks for the info. I have the two names from the phone book, and
      > have located a possible translator for a letter I have in mind.
      >
      > How embarrassing, though, I didn't know you could get a copy of the
      > SS-5. That would be a great help. This is indeed "our" Ferdinand.
      >
      > - Larry

      Larry,

      Since the surname was Hegedüs in that 1886 church record expect you
      didn't have the correct Ferdinand Ando ?

      You wrote his parent's surnames were Ando and Kulcsar.
      The Slovakia telephone directory lists 1 surname Kulcsár under Turn^a
      nad Bodvou.
      Kulcsár is a Hungarian occupational surname meaning a "key maker".

      In 1898, another Lándor (Ferdinand) Andó, age 35, married, had
      emigrated to Pittsburgh PA from somewhere in Slovakia ?
      This Ferdinand had been in Pittsburgh before, in 1891/1894.
      Pittsburgh had steel mills and coal industry wheremany emigrants came
      to work.

      Frank K

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
      > > Larry
      > >
      > > Probably 350-400 surname bearers Ando just in the US.
      > > 195 surnames Ando are listed in SSDI.
      > > A Ferdinand Ando (b. May 15, 1886 - d. August 1976) is listed
      under
      > > State of CT.
      > > Did you write for his social security application form SS-5 which
      > > lists surname town of origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden
      > > name ? Or do you have it ?
      > > A Doppelgänger (twin double) or an incorrect day of
      > month ?
      > >

      > > The Slovakia telephone directory also lists under Turn^a nad
      Bodvou
      > 1
      > > surname Andó and 1 surname Hegedüs.
      > >

      > > EIR records lists 984 surnames Hegedus who had emigrated to US
      > > 1892-1924.
      > > EIR also lists 191 surnames Ando who had emigrated to US
      1892-1924.
      > > However, when a Slavic surname ends in a vowel (i,o,u) it can also
      > be
      > > a Italian or Spanish surname spelling.
      > > Some of the surnames Ando listed were from Italy and several were
      > from
      > > Cuba.
      > >
      > > Frank K
    • Larry
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        Hi Frank,

        Correct.
        The entry I found in the church records is not our Ferdinand,
        obviously, since the baby died a month later. (Gotta learn Hungarian
        so I can read those notes! :-) )

        But, knowing that Lándor means Ferdinand will help our search. Also,
        since we have Ferdinand's SSN from SSDI, getting the info from the SS-
        5 will be a great help. From family contacts we know that Ferdinand
        was in Bridgeport CT by about 1900 and worked there as a woodworker.
        Contacting Ando family members currently living in the area is on
        our 'to-do' list.

        - Larry