Re: Church records - Turna nad Bodvou 2

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
      Larry

      Probably 350-400 surname bearers Ando just in the US.
      195 surnames Ando are listed in SSDI.
      A Ferdinand Ando (b. May 15, 1886 - d. August 1976) is listed under
      State of CT.
      Did you write for his social security application form SS-5 which
      lists surname town of origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden
      name ? Or do you have it ?
      A Doppelgänger (twin double) or an incorrect day of month ?

      The Slovakia telephone directory also lists under Turn^a nad Bodvou 1
      surname Andó and 1 surname Hegedüs.

      EIR records lists 984 surnames Hegedus who had emigrated to US
      1892-1924.
      EIR also lists 191 surnames Ando who had emigrated to US 1892-1924.
      However, when a Slavic surname ends in a vowel (i,o,u) it can also be
      a Italian or Spanish surname spelling.
      Some of the surnames Ando listed were from Italy and several were from
      Cuba.

      Frank K
    • Larry
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
        Hi Frank,

        Thanks for the info. I have the two names from the phone book, and
        have located a possible translator for a letter I have in mind.

        How embarrassing, though, I didn't know you could get a copy of the
        SS-5. That would be a great help. This is indeed "our" Ferdinand.

        - Larry

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
        > Larry
        >
        > Probably 350-400 surname bearers Ando just in the US.
        > 195 surnames Ando are listed in SSDI.
        > A Ferdinand Ando (b. May 15, 1886 - d. August 1976) is listed under
        > State of CT.
        > Did you write for his social security application form SS-5 which
        > lists surname town of origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden
        > name ? Or do you have it ?
        > A Doppelgänger (twin double) or an incorrect day of
        month ?

        > The Slovakia telephone directory also lists under Turn^a nad Bodvou
        1
        > surname Andó and 1 surname Hegedüs.
        >

        > EIR records lists 984 surnames Hegedus who had emigrated to US
        > 1892-1924.
        > EIR also lists 191 surnames Ando who had emigrated to US 1892-1924.
        > However, when a Slavic surname ends in a vowel (i,o,u) it can also
        be
        > a Italian or Spanish surname spelling.
        > Some of the surnames Ando listed were from Italy and several were
        from
        > Cuba.
        >
        > Frank K
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <lb5532@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Frank,
          >
          > Thanks for the info. I have the two names from the phone book, and
          > have located a possible translator for a letter I have in mind.
          >
          > How embarrassing, though, I didn't know you could get a copy of the
          > SS-5. That would be a great help. This is indeed "our" Ferdinand.
          >
          > - Larry

          Larry,

          Since the surname was Hegedüs in that 1886 church record expect you
          didn't have the correct Ferdinand Ando ?

          You wrote his parent's surnames were Ando and Kulcsar.
          The Slovakia telephone directory lists 1 surname Kulcsár under Turn^a
          nad Bodvou.
          Kulcsár is a Hungarian occupational surname meaning a "key maker".

          In 1898, another Lándor (Ferdinand) Andó, age 35, married, had
          emigrated to Pittsburgh PA from somewhere in Slovakia ?
          This Ferdinand had been in Pittsburgh before, in 1891/1894.
          Pittsburgh had steel mills and coal industry wheremany emigrants came
          to work.

          Frank K

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
          > > Larry
          > >
          > > Probably 350-400 surname bearers Ando just in the US.
          > > 195 surnames Ando are listed in SSDI.
          > > A Ferdinand Ando (b. May 15, 1886 - d. August 1976) is listed
          under
          > > State of CT.
          > > Did you write for his social security application form SS-5 which
          > > lists surname town of origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden
          > > name ? Or do you have it ?
          > > A Doppelgänger (twin double) or an incorrect day of
          > month ?
          > >

          > > The Slovakia telephone directory also lists under Turn^a nad
          Bodvou
          > 1
          > > surname Andó and 1 surname Hegedüs.
          > >

          > > EIR records lists 984 surnames Hegedus who had emigrated to US
          > > 1892-1924.
          > > EIR also lists 191 surnames Ando who had emigrated to US
          1892-1924.
          > > However, when a Slavic surname ends in a vowel (i,o,u) it can also
          > be
          > > a Italian or Spanish surname spelling.
          > > Some of the surnames Ando listed were from Italy and several were
          > from
          > > Cuba.
          > >
          > > Frank K
        • Larry
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
            Hi Frank,

            Correct.
            The entry I found in the church records is not our Ferdinand,
            obviously, since the baby died a month later. (Gotta learn Hungarian
            so I can read those notes! :-) )

            But, knowing that Lándor means Ferdinand will help our search. Also,
            since we have Ferdinand's SSN from SSDI, getting the info from the SS-
            5 will be a great help. From family contacts we know that Ferdinand
            was in Bridgeport CT by about 1900 and worked there as a woodworker.
            Contacting Ando family members currently living in the area is on
            our 'to-do' list.