Re: [S-R] Church records - Turna nad Bodvou

  • Tim Skvarenina
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
      I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that the
      observation of meghalt, 30 May 1886, indicates the
      child died the day after it was born. Are you sure
      you have the right record?

      Tim Skvarenina

      --- Larry Bell <lb5532@...> wrote:

      > Hello group,
      >
      > I have found the baptismal record of my wife's
      > grandfater, Ferdinand Ando, who was born in Turna
      > (Torna) nad Bodvou on 29 May 1886 (southwest of
      > Kosice). It is a great source of information, but I
      > am having some problems with the handwriting and
      > abbreviations used in the records.
      >
      > Would someone be willing to help me with this?
      > If so, I could send the scanned sheets via Email.
      >
      > Here is what I have so far (in doubt letters shown
      > as
      > "-":
      >
      > Nativitatis: 1886 Maius 29
      > Nomen: Ferenc(a? h? ia?) (Adult name was Ferdinand)
      > Sexus masc.: fia
      > legit: Sorve----s
      > Nomen Parentum: Hegedus Ando
      > Locus Domicilii: Torna
      > Obervationes: meg(h?)alt 1886 Junius 30

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
        I can give a little help.

        This was an infant, Ferencz (Hungarian for Francis), born May 29, 1886, died
        (meghalt) June 30, 1886. Fia means son. Hegedus Ando was his father's
        name, and he was born in Torna.

        There seems to be a mixture of Hungarian and Latin in these records.

        Janet

        Hello group,

        I have found the baptismal record of my wife's
        grandfater, Ferdinand Ando, who was born in Turna
        (Torna) nad Bodvou on 29 May 1886 (southwest of
        Kosice). It is a great source of information, but I
        am having some problems with the handwriting and
        abbreviations used in the records.

        Would someone be willing to help me with this?
        If so, I could send the scanned sheets via Email.

        Here is what I have so far (in doubt letters shown as
        "-":

        Nativitatis: 1886 Maius 29
        Nomen: Ferenc(a? h? ia?) (Adult name was Ferdinand)
        Sexus masc.: fia
        legit: Sorve----s
        Nomen Parentum: Hegedus Ando
        Locus Domicilii: Torna
        Obervationes: meg(h?)alt 1886 Junius 30

        Another question....
        A nearby town, somewhat larger, is Moldava nad Bodvou.
        What does "nad Bodvou" mean?

        Thanks to all,
        Larry

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Larry
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
          Yes, the church is Roman Catholic so the forms, at least, are Latin,
          but the comments are Hungarian; Turna at the time was in Hungary, as
          I understand.

          Well, Harrumph!!
          I know that our Ferdinand (Fred) Ando came from Turna and I was
          hoping he was born there also. So... still looking for Ferdinand
          Ando b. May 1886 in (then) Hungary. Parents were Martin Ando and
          Lydia Kulcsar.

          -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
          wrote:
          > I can give a little help.
          >
          > This was an infant, Ferencz (Hungarian for Francis), born May 29,
          1886, died
          > (meghalt) June 30, 1886. Fia means son. Hegedus Ando was his
          father's
          > name, and he was born in Torna.
          >
          > There seems to be a mixture of Hungarian and Latin in these records.
          >
          > Janet
          >

          > Hello group,
          >
          > I have found the baptismal record of my wife's
          > grandfater, Ferdinand Ando, who was born in Turna
          > (Torna) nad Bodvou on 29 May 1886 (southwest of
          > Kosice). It is a great source of information, but I
          > am having some problems with the handwriting and
          > abbreviations used in the records.
          >
          > Would someone be willing to help me with this?
          > If so, I could send the scanned sheets via Email.
          >
          > Here is what I have so far (in doubt letters shown as
          > "-":
          >
          > Nativitatis: 1886 Maius 29
          > Nomen: Ferenc(a? h? ia?) (Adult name was Ferdinand)
          > Sexus masc.: fia
          > legit: Sorve----s
          > Nomen Parentum: Hegedus Ando
          > Locus Domicilii: Torna
          > Obervationes: meg(h?)alt 1886 Junius 30
          >
          > Another question....
          > A nearby town, somewhat larger, is Moldava nad Bodvou.
          > What does "nad Bodvou" mean?
          >
          > Thanks to all,
          > Larry

          email to
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          email to
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Frank
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <lb5532@y...> wrote:
            > Yes, the church is Roman Catholic so the forms, at least, are Latin,
            > but the comments are Hungarian; Turna at the time was in Hungary, as
            > I understand.
            >
            > Well, Harrumph!!
            > I know that our Ferdinand (Fred) Ando came from Turna and I was
            > hoping he was born there also. So... still looking for Ferdinand
            > Ando b. May 1886 in (then) Hungary. Parents were Martin Ando and
            > Lydia Kulcsar.

            Larry

            Janet is correct, a mixture of Latin and some Hungarian words.
            But I read it differently ?

            Nativitatis
            date of birth
            1886 Maius 29