Church records - Turna nad Bodvou

  • Larry Bell
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hello group,

      I have found the baptismal record of my wife's
      grandfater, Ferdinand Ando, who was born in Turna
      (Torna) nad Bodvou on 29 May 1886 (southwest of
      Kosice). It is a great source of information, but I
      am having some problems with the handwriting and
      abbreviations used in the records.

      Would someone be willing to help me with this?
      If so, I could send the scanned sheets via Email.

      Here is what I have so far (in doubt letters shown as
      "-":

      Nativitatis: 1886 Maius 29
      Nomen: Ferenc(a? h? ia?) (Adult name was Ferdinand)
      Sexus masc.: fia
      legit: Sorve----s
      Nomen Parentum: Hegedus Ando
      Locus Domicilii: Torna
      Obervationes: meg(h?)alt 1886 Junius 30

      Another question....
      A nearby town, somewhat larger, is Moldava nad Bodvou.
      What does "nad Bodvou" mean?

      Thanks to all,
      Larry
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
        Moldava nad Bodvou = Moldava on (the) Bodvou (river)

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Tim Skvarenina
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
          I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that the
          observation of meghalt, 30 May 1886, indicates the
          child died the day after it was born. Are you sure
          you have the right record?

          Tim Skvarenina

          --- Larry Bell <lb5532@...> wrote:

          > Hello group,
          >
          > I have found the baptismal record of my wife's
          > grandfater, Ferdinand Ando, who was born in Turna
          > (Torna) nad Bodvou on 29 May 1886 (southwest of
          > Kosice). It is a great source of information, but I
          > am having some problems with the handwriting and
          > abbreviations used in the records.
          >
          > Would someone be willing to help me with this?
          > If so, I could send the scanned sheets via Email.
          >
          > Here is what I have so far (in doubt letters shown
          > as
          > "-":
          >
          > Nativitatis: 1886 Maius 29
          > Nomen: Ferenc(a? h? ia?) (Adult name was Ferdinand)
          > Sexus masc.: fia
          > legit: Sorve----s
          > Nomen Parentum: Hegedus Ando
          > Locus Domicilii: Torna
          > Obervationes: meg(h?)alt 1886 Junius 30

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
            I can give a little help.

            This was an infant, Ferencz (Hungarian for Francis), born May 29, 1886, died
            (meghalt) June 30, 1886. Fia means son. Hegedus Ando was his father's
            name, and he was born in Torna.

            There seems to be a mixture of Hungarian and Latin in these records.

            Janet

[...]

          • Larry
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
              Yes, the church is Roman Catholic so the forms, at least, are Latin,
              but the comments are Hungarian; Turna at the time was in Hungary, as
              I understand.

              Well, Harrumph!!
              I know that our Ferdinand (Fred) Ando came from Turna and I was
              hoping he was born there also. So... still looking for Ferdinand
              Ando b. May 1886 in (then) Hungary. Parents were Martin Ando and
              Lydia Kulcsar.

              -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
              wrote:
              > I can give a little help.
              >
              > This was an infant, Ferencz (Hungarian for Francis), born May 29,
              1886, died
              > (meghalt) June 30, 1886. Fia means son. Hegedus Ando was his
              father's
              > name, and he was born in Torna.
              >
              > There seems to be a mixture of Hungarian and Latin in these records.
              >
              > Janet
              >

              > Hello group,
              >
              > I have found the baptismal record of my wife's
              > grandfater, Ferdinand Ando, who was born in Turna
              > (Torna) nad Bodvou on 29 May 1886 (southwest of
              > Kosice). It is a great source of information, but I
              > am having some problems with the handwriting and
              > abbreviations used in the records.
              >
              > Would someone be willing to help me with this?
              > If so, I could send the scanned sheets via Email.
              >
              > Here is what I have so far (in doubt letters shown as
              > "-":
              >
              > Nativitatis: 1886 Maius 29
              > Nomen: Ferenc(a? h? ia?) (Adult name was Ferdinand)
              > Sexus masc.: fia
              > legit: Sorve----s
              > Nomen Parentum: Hegedus Ando
              > Locus Domicilii: Torna
              > Obervationes: meg(h?)alt 1886 Junius 30
              >
              > Another question....
              > A nearby town, somewhat larger, is Moldava nad Bodvou.
              > What does "nad Bodvou" mean?
              >
              > Thanks to all,
              > Larry

              email to
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              email to
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Frank
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <lb5532@y...> wrote:
                > Yes, the church is Roman Catholic so the forms, at least, are Latin,
                > but the comments are Hungarian; Turna at the time was in Hungary, as
                > I understand.
                >
                > Well, Harrumph!!
                > I know that our Ferdinand (Fred) Ando came from Turna and I was
                > hoping he was born there also. So... still looking for Ferdinand
                > Ando b. May 1886 in (then) Hungary. Parents were Martin Ando and
                > Lydia Kulcsar.

                Larry

                Janet is correct, a mixture of Latin and some Hungarian words.
                But I read it differently ?

                Nativitatis
                date of birth
                1886 Maius 29