Re: [S-R] No messages

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 31, 2004
      Hi Al,
      Slovak World just had a few posts about both President Bush and candidate
      John Kerry having Czech roots. John Kerry's grandfather was from what is now the
      Czech Republic and changed his name of Kohn to Kerry and married a Catholic
      girl in Boston.
      George Bush's father and mother both have Czech roots in their background,
      but I did not go through it all. His genealogical chart was quite extensive.
      this is all very interesting. i wonder if there have ever been any presidents
      with any known Slovak roots.
      Noreen

    • Al Dubnicka
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 31, 2004
        Hi Noreen,
        Thanks for your response.
        I guess I'm as dumb as a rock regarding the working of some of the
        things on the computer.
        I have tried to subscribe to Slovak-World and keep on getting the
        refusal wanting me to have only 200 characters in the box. Can you tell
        me what I may be doing wrong?
        Thanks,
        Al
        nhasior@... wrote:

        >Hi Al,
        >Slovak World just had a few posts about both President Bush and candidate
        >John Kerry having Czech roots. John Kerry's grandfather was from what is now the
        >Czech Republic and changed his name of Kohn to Kerry and married a Catholic
        >girl in Boston.
        >George Bush's father and mother both have Czech roots in their background,
        >but I did not go through it all. His genealogical chart was quite extensive.
        >this is all very interesting. i wonder if there have ever been any presidents
        >with any known Slovak roots.
        >Noreen

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 31, 2004
          OK, here is a rich bite of Slovak culture upon which to munch while we wait
          for someone to have a genealogical point! I was looking for information on
          the great writer Timrava and found it:

          http://www.litcentrum.sk/slovaklit/en/08.html

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 31, 2004
            Hi! I'm not Noreen, but I too have been wondering if I was the only one alive. When they want you to limit to 200 Characters- the box that you are to put your personal info- or request in they want you to be extremely brief in what you e-mail.- in other words, You have to count each letter, number, space, period etc- and the total can not be more than 200. Hope this helps Kautika
            nhasior@... wrote:

            >Hi Al,
            >Slovak World just had a few posts about both President Bush and candidate
            >John Kerry having Czech roots. John Kerry's grandfather was from what is now the
            >Czech Republic and changed his name of Kohn to Kerry and married a Catholic
            >girl in Boston.
            >George Bush's father and mother both have Czech roots in their background,
            >but I did not go through it all. His genealogical chart was quite extensive.
            >this is all very interesting. i wonder if there have ever been any presidents
            >with any known Slovak roots.
            >Noreen

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2004
              Hello Kautika and Al,
              this 200 word problem is a mystery. i will email Greg on the list and ask
              him how you can solve the problem.
              Noreen

            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2004
                I skipped over your original message bacause you did not change the
                header and I am not interested in "No messages" - we do have quiet
                times. If you want to subscribe to S-W and have this message about
                200 character limit coming back, I remember it being because of the
                email program being set to "html' and not 'plain text'. So you will
                have to learn something about your computer program!

                Go into the email page to
                Tools, Options, Mail Format and put 'Plain Text' in your choice.
                Click "ok" and then try subscribing as you are instrcuted to.

                Ron

                Service.

              • Al Dubnicka
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2004
                  Hi Noreen,

                  Thanks for your help. Just received confirmation about my membership in
                  Slovak-World.
                  Thanks again,
                  Al

                  nhasior@... wrote:

                  >Hello Kautika and Al,
                  >this 200 word problem is a mystery. i will email Greg on the list and ask
                  >him how you can solve the problem.
                  >Noreen

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Janet McKinley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 18, 2006
                    The easiest way to double check postings is by going to the main website. Things have been pretty quiet.

                    Janet
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 18, 2006
                      There are not any. But my excuse is a violent windstorm and savage cold
                      (hey, this is the Pacific Northwest). We dropped into the teens last night!
                      First time in ten years. FEMA is expected momentarily. My power was out
                      for a day and I could not find the top for my oil lamp, and the stores were
                      out of Presto logs for my woodstove. Local shopping center closed down.
                      Traffic lights out.

                      Local residents are bearing up as well as can be expected under the
                      circumstances. In truth, we got a bit less cold and a great deal more wind
                      than anticipated -- one of the local ferry docks was destroyed.

                      Now for a Slovak question. Where or how do we post photographs, assuming
                      that this terrible crisis gives me a chance to take some digital photos of
                      my three excellent linen hand-made embroidered Liptov blouses? If the
                      electricity stays on, of course.

                      >I haven't been getting any messages. Are there any or is my computer not
                      > picking them up.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Al Dubnicka

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Joe Armata
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 18, 2006
                        Slovak-Roots on the left, then Photos on the left, then
                        click on the Add Photo button.

                        Joe

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 18, 2006
                          GO HERE http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                          Select the photos category from the left hand column. You can upload photos
                          there, then announce them in an email message to the group.

                          Bill

                          >I haven't been getting any messages. Are there any or is my computer not
                          > picking them up.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Al Dubnicka

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Marsha Duda Sumner
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 16, 2006
                            Joe,
                            I have not been receiving posts from S-R for more than a week.

                            My address has not changed and I know that the list has not been idle for
                            that long.

                            Can you check to be sure that I am still signed up for postings?

                            Marsha

                          • Janet Kozlay
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 16, 2006
                              Marsha, your message came through just fine. I think everyone is just too
                              busy getting ready for Christmas right now. I'll bet things pick up
                              afterwards.

                              Janet

                              _____