Eureka!!

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2004
      Thought I'd share a bright moment with all of you.
      Keep digging. I've been at this for over 3 years.
      Out of 4 grandparents I FINALLY found the origins of
      one of them. I recently received a letter from a
      Second Cousin of mine in Slovakia. She has a box of
      letters and photographs my grandmother sent to her
      grandmother (they were sisters). I cannot describe
      the feeling . . . some of you know how it feels . . .
      for the others . . . don't give up, it's so worth it
      when you strike gold. One of 4 down; three to go.
      Maybe in 20-ish years I'll have accomplished my goal.
      For now, this is an excellent feeling. I appreciate
      all your help and comraderie along the way and look
      forward to assisting others as I keep researching.

      Caye

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2004
        Caye,
        Congratulations! To me, it feels like a "homecoming."

        Boy, to find a box of letters, what a treasure trove! You might even be
        able to get a sense of what your GM was thinking. So many of these
        thoughts went with our ancestors to our graves.

        So tell us, how did you find the first cousin???

        Dovidenia,

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Thought I'd share a bright moment with all of you.
        Keep digging. I've been at this for over 3 years.
        Out of 4 grandparents I FINALLY found the origins of
        one of them. I recently received a letter from a
        Second Cousin of mine in Slovakia. She has a box of
        letters and photographs my grandmother sent to her
        grandmother (they were sisters). I cannot describe
        the feeling . . . some of you know how it feels . . .
        for the others . . . don't give up, it's so worth it
        when you strike gold. One of 4 down; three to go.
        Maybe in 20-ish years I'll have accomplished my goal.
        For now, this is an excellent feeling. I appreciate
        all your help and comraderie along the way and look
        forward to assisting others as I keep researching.

        Caye

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26, 2004
          Actually, Bill, it is a 2nd cousin, our grandmothers
          were sisters -- my Matushka suggested I write to local
          government and list the names/dates/what I knew for
          fact -- which was pretty little -- including
          misspellings -- however, the Mayor of either Kosice or
          Trebisov -- not sure which, maybe even both --
          forwarded my letter to the universities and asked for
          a student who could translate English to research my
          request. Voila -- months (literally, at least 8
          months later) -- I'm in communicado -- albeit slow and
          broken, it's true and amazing. Thanks again to the
          group -- and I'll keep the positive flowing as much as
          I can.

          Caye