VEYESE

  • leeann6621
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2004
      I have the naturalization papers for Michael RUSNAK. It's hard to
      read the writing, but it looks like the town he was born in was
      VEYESE, Austria. Also, I may have found him in a ship manifest that
      lists the hometown as Soroza. Are these two places close to each
      other?

      I'm a little confused since I started reading all these messages
      here. Does the name RUSNAK mean he wasn't Slovak, but rather
      Rusyn? My mom remembers her grandparents always talking about being
      Slovak, and that was what they spoke.
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "leeann6621" <leeann6621@y...>
        wrote:
        > I have the naturalization papers for Michael RUSNAK. It's hard to
        > read the writing, but it looks like the town he was born in was
        > VEYESE, Austria. Also, I may have found him in a ship manifest that
        > lists the hometown as Soroza. Are these two places close to each
        > other?
        >
        > I'm a little confused since I started reading all these messages
        > here. Does the name RUSNAK mean he wasn't Slovak, but rather
        > Rusyn? My mom remembers her grandparents always talking about being
        > Slovak, and that was what they spoke.

        Assuming Michael's surname was spelled Hungarian fashion where "sz"
        is pron. "s". Rusznak (Rusnak)
        And Soroza in his naturalization papers was actually Sáros megye
        (county) Hungary and he had emigrated in 1893 via port of Antwerp,
        Belgium which was popular in the 1890s.

        Your Veyese was probably Veneczia (H) Venécia (Sk) located west of
        Bardejov and near Lukov.

        What was Michael's (Michal in Sk) religious affiliation ?
        G.C. parish church records (1735-1895) for Lukov and Venécia.

        Frank K
      • Leeann
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2004
          Ship's manifest shows RUSZNAK. The rest of the family was Roman Catholic, so I assume he was too.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17, 2004
            RC was predominant in Central and West Slovakia as well as in Czech
            Republic. So I'd continue to focus on that area.

            Bill Tarkulich

            Ship's manifest shows RUSZNAK. The rest of the family was Roman Catholic,
            so I assume he was too.

            Yahoo! Groups Links