Re: [S-R] Surnames -- Salaj and Pytlak

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15 11:49 AM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Novakova
      <zajacik_2000@y...> wrote:
      > I just read your email about these names. This is really
      interesting. Last year I was a translator for a couple from CA that
      went to Slovakia to search for their relatives and they were mainly
      searching for Salaj, but if I remember correctly, there was name
      Pytlak in their family also...maybe you are related? :) I just thought
      that was interesting. We found some living relatives also (very old,
      but living :) )

      > Zuzana
      >

      > els1012 <els1012@y...> wrote:
      > I'm new to this group and understand that there is a book of Slovak
      > surnames. I would appreciate any help in translating my surname.
      It
      > also appears that it is not too common.
      >
      > My family name is Salaj. My grandmother's passport
      > is spelled Salajova (I assume to indicate the femine gender). Her
      > maiden name was Pytla'k.
      >
      > Thanks for your help -- Ed

      Novak derived from adj. meaning "new" (i.e. a new neighbor, a newman)
      is the most common Czech surname.
      Neuman in German.
      In Slovakia, Novak, Novacek, Novcik, Novacky, Novakovic, etc.

      The Hungarian surname Horvát/Horváth meaning Croatian/Croat is the
      fifth most common surname in Hungary, probably 50,000 surname bearers.

      In Slovak pytliak means "a poacher" (i.e. hunt or fish illegally)
      Probably 150-200 surname Pytlak bearers in the US.
      Most of the surnames Pytlak who emigrated to US were from former
      Austrian-Poland (Galicia)

      The Slovak telephone directory lists 5 surnames Salaj and 1 surname
      Salajová (fem. gender) under Cinoban^a, Slovakia.
      Some surnames Salaj who had emigrated to US were from Croatia, not
      Slovakia.

      What did the surnames speak ?

      How are you ? English

      Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

      Hogy Van ? Hungarian

      Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

      Jak se máte ? Czech

      Jak sie masz ? Polish

      Kako ste ? Croatian

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      > "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who
      wants to borrow from you." MATTHEW 5:42

      > "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and
      the door will be opened to you." MATTHEW 7:7