Re: [S-R] New guy focus on eastern Slovakia

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2004
      Stuart,
      Welcome to the list.

      East Slovakia is my specialty. I've written quite a bit about several aspects of East Slovakia, especially genealogy and history. Check this out:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

      Records may or may not have been destroyed. Were you at a Greek Catholic Church? More likely is that they were taken to the archive. See here http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/churches.htm#history

      Read about it here

      To find out where your village records are stored, check here:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/churches.htm#Prehlad
      Mormons may have filmed them.

      The village of ORECHOVA can be found on mapy.atlas.sk. Its E of Sobrance, nearly at the Ukraine border. Kinda far from Humenne. It's your job to corroborate.

      More info on place names and locating the correct one:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

      When you're ready to start writing to people who are still breathing, check this out http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm

      Your surnames, don't jump out to me as Rusyn, but Frank probably has a better handle on this. I've seen Croat-derrived surnames (like mine) whose people are ethnic Rusyn. As you know, ethnicity is a combo of customs, culture, language and religion. So you can never say never about a name. Then again, I'm not a lingust. My $0.02.

      E. Slovakia doesn't have much written about it specifically. "The Rusyns of Slovakia" by Magocsi is excellent. The rest, unfortunately is snippets garnered from Hungary, Czechoslovakia and Ukraine History tomes.
      Checkout http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/history.htm#references
      See local and regional histories. Read the PDFs. Its written locally by locals. Much more insightful if you want an up-close perspective.

      www.iarelative.com isn't bad, but it's kind of disorganized.
      You can also learn about Rusyns via www.Lemko.org (present-day Poland grounded rusyns)www.carpatho-rusyn.com is very good.

      Good Luck,
      Bill Tarkulich