Re: [S-R] Turcsan, Csollak, Pacholsky HELCMANOVCE

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2004
      Well, as the old joke goes, "go to the graveyard, you'll find all your ancestors there!" And adding my wry sense of humor.. they probably haven't moved about either! :)

      As I mentioned in other messages, poking at surnames is a frustrating, confusing approach.

      You've got the most importan piece of info, the village name, so focus on that. You really have a lot of info at your fingertips already.

      What research have you already accomplished? If you have extracts, then someone was doing some digging. When were they prepared.

      Do you know the Mormon's have church records for HELCMANOVCE? Go here http://tinyurl.com/3nxv7 to see the catalog entry. Their Family History centes with film readers are located all over the USA and the world for that matter and available to all.

      Use church records to build a family tree.
      Here is a general strategy http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/strategy.htm
      Here are some ideas when you are ready to write to Europe to contact living, potential "cousins"
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm

      > From: "caturchan" <caturchan@...>
      > Date: 2004/07/14 Wed PM 10:55:16 CDT
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [S-R] Turcsan, Csollak, Pacholsky
      >
      > Hello...I'm new to this group. And do I ever need help! I do not
      > speak or read a word of Slovak. We are looking for ancestors from
      > Helcmanovce (Nagykunczfalva) Slovakia.
      >
      > Copy of Marriage Extract shows name as "Ystvan Turcsan", born May
      > 21,1870 (a Baptismal document for one of his sons shows name
      > as "Stefan Turcsan".) Immigrated to USA abt. 1898 (based on
      > Naturalization papers and length of time required to obtain
      > citizenship.)
      >
      > Marta Csollak (Marta/Martha Chollak) born April 10, 1872. Do not
      > have naturalization papers so do not know year of immigration. (Wife
      > of Steve Turcsan)
      >
      > Copy of Marriage Extract shows name as "Jozsef Turcsan"
      > (Jozef/Joseph), born Jan. 3, 1874. He is brother of Ystvan
      > (Stefan/Steve).
      >
      > Marta Pacholsky (Marta/Martha Paholsky) born Jan. 1, 1874 in
      > Hesmanosa Gelnista (Czechslovakia) Wife of Joseph and second wife of
      > Steve.
      >
      > All are Greek Catholic and immigrated to Helvetia, Clearfield Co.,
      > PA. Both men were coal miners. We believe there were at least two
      > other brothers who came to US at or about same time as Steve &
      > Joseph.
      >
      > If anyone has any information on these families, please contact me.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Carol Turchan (one anglicized version of name)

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • therrienmaryann
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10 10:38 PM
        Carol, I am related to these turchans by my grandfather John Turchan from Trafford Pa. He had a brother Joseph and I believe Steve from Helvetia was a brother also. John Turchan was married to maria Ferencz I have records from clearfield Jefferson county that show relocation from sykesville/Helvetia to Trafford. Also Kurutz family's with original spelling Kurucz. My grandmother was a Rendas, Father Mike and mother Sophia Macko. Everyone came from Helcmanovce. The greek catholic records show many names I have connected to my tree. I have missing links but just know eventually the puzzle will come together. The Turcsans Csollaks, Pacholsky names are all in my research. Maybe we can help each other? Mary Ann Kurtz