Re: Fenicin

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 4, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
      > Frank,
      >
      > Thanks so much for all of this. We have an LDS church just a few
      > miles away. I'll have to see what I can do, and bring my Mom with
      > me as she can read Slovak.
      >
      > Carolyn

      Carloyn

      You will need to order the specific microfilms through the local
      FHC and wait for them to arrive from the LDS FHL in SLC Utah.
      Rental used to be $3.50 per film.

      In Slovak the parish church records are called matriky.
      Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
      Sobás^ení = Marriages
      Zomrelí = Deaths
      Only the film headers are written in Slovak.

      The R.C. parish church records are written in Latin and Hungarian.
      The G.C. parish church records are written in Latin, Hungarian, and
      Ruthenian.

      Ruthenian/Rusnak/Carpatho-Rusyn.
      Rusyns speak 'po nashemu'; their language is similar to Ukrainian
      and also uses the Cyrillic alphabet, but the Latin alphabet has also
      been used, especially in Slovakia.
      Ruthenian is similar to Ukrainian.

      How are you ?

      Hogy Van ? Hungarian (Non-Slavic)

      Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

      Jak se máte ? Czech

      Jak sie masz ? Polish

      R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
      (yah k s p r á v ee )

      In Hungarian the matriky are titled Anyakönyvek.
      Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

      In Latin the matriky are titled Matricula.
      Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
      Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
      Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

      For examples of parish church record format try URL below.
      Church Record Translations

      http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//

      Frank K

      > > Carolyn,
      > >
      > > The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
      > > of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.
      > >
      > > These microfilms available through local LDS Family History
      Centers
      > > (FHC) serve as large resource of genealogical information for
      > North
      > > Americans with surnames from Slovakia.
      > >
      > > These microfilm reels are available for rental and viewing at any
      > > Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.
      > > 90% of patrons are non-Mormons doing surname research.
      > >
      > > LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS
      > >
      > > http://www.familysearch.org/Search/searchfhc2.asp
      > >

      > > Some abbreviations used for various denominations :
      > > Hungarian English
      > > rk.-RK. r?mai katholikus Roman Catholic
      > > gk. GK. g?r?g katholikus Greek Catholic/Byzantine
      > > kg. KG. keleti g?r?g Greek Oriental (Eastern Orthodox)
      > > ag. AG. ?stai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      > > ref. REF. reform?s Reformed (Calvinist)
      > > izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)
      > >
      > > LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1789-1899) for
      > > Juskova Vol'a .
      > > Listed under Vechec.
      > >
      > > LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1819-1830) for
      > > Juskova Vol'a .
      > > Listed under C^emern?
      > >

      > > Ubres/Ubrezs formerly located in Ung megye, Hungary is now
      U'brez^,
      > > Slovakia.
      > > LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish records (1805-1937) for
      U'brez^.