Re: Fenicin

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...>
      > wrote:
      > > > Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but
      > am
      > > > not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have
      stumbled
      > > on
      > > > an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
      > > > name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from
      > Juskova
      > > > Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. >
      > >
      > > The Slovakia telephone directory lists under Juskova Vol'a (Sk)
      > > formerly Volyna/Wolyna and Jószefvölgy (H) meaning Joseph's
      > > valley in Magyar.
      > >
      > > Related surnames (2) Fenic^ín and (1) Olexa and (4) Lukac^in.
      > > What was Joseph's religion ?
      > >

      > > Frank K
      >

      > Frank,
      >
      > My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was Greek Catholic.
      >
      > Here's a little more on the family tree I know about:
      >
      > Joseph Fenicin, born Jan 10, 1903, died May, 1987
      > parents were Michael Fenicin and Maria Lazko (Lasko?)
      > emigrated from Juskova Vola in the 1920's to Ontario and then
      > Montreal, Canada
      >
      > married Maria Slavik, born June 25, 1911, died August, 2002
      > parents were George Slavik and Anna Macik from Ubrez
      > married in Canada. Maria was originally RC.
      >
      > Joseph's siblings were Michael and Stephen. I believe there may
      > have been other mother(s) of these siblings.
      >
      > Maria's siblings were George, Anna (emigrated to Canada), Michael,
      > Elizabeth, and Jan.
      >

      > Other side of the family:
      >
      > grandfather Jan Behun, born Feb, 1900, died Jan, 1984
      > emigrated from Malcice in the 1920's to Canada. worked for 12 years
      > in Canada before bringing over my grandmother and their 2 children.
      >
      > grandmother Anna Micak, born June 8, 1902, died May, 1997. Came to
      > Montreal to join Jan in 1937. Was from Budkovce. Both Jan and Anna
      > were RC.
      >
      > I know my mom has some old photos and documents from Behun/Micak. I
      > know very little else about Fenicin/Slavik.
      >
      > I know both families were peasants who spoke a dialect of Slovak. I
      > can understand (but not speak) some of their Slovak, but understand
      > very little of "true" Slovak. This would make it very difficult to
      > correspond with any relatives found.
      >
      > Carolyn

      Carolyn,

      The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
      of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

      These microfilms available through local LDS Family History Centers
      (FHC) serve as large resource of genealogical information for North
      Americans with surnames from Slovakia.

      Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

      Hungarian English
      rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
      ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

      LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1789-1899) for
      Juskova Vol'a .
      Listed under Vechec.

      LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1819-1830) for
      Juskova Vol'a .
      Listed under C^emerné.

      Ubres/Ubrezs formerly located in Ung megye, Hungary is now U'brez^,
      Slovakia.
      LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish records (1805-1937) for U'brez^.
      Telephone directory list 1 surname Slavík under U'brez^.

      Malcza/Málca formerly located in Zemplén megye, Hungary is now
      Malc^ice, Slovakia.
      LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1788-1895)
      and G.C. parish church records (1827-1913)
      Listed under Markovce.
      2 surnames Behunc^ík and 1 surname Behun are listed under Malc^ice in
      telephone directory.

      S^aris^ské Budovce was later called Vel'ké Bukovce.
      LDS-Mormons filmed its G.C. parish church records (1851-1895)
      LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1704-1897)
      Listed under Stropkov.

      Frank K
    • cfpoirier
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 3, 2004
        Frank,

        Thanks so much for all of this. We have an LDS church just a few
        miles away. I'll have to see what I can do, and bring my Mom with
        me as she can read Slovak.

        Carolyn

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 4, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
          > Frank,
          >
          > Thanks so much for all of this. We have an LDS church just a few
          > miles away. I'll have to see what I can do, and bring my Mom with
          > me as she can read Slovak.
          >
          > Carolyn

          Carloyn

          You will need to order the specific microfilms through the local
          FHC and wait for them to arrive from the LDS FHL in SLC Utah.
          Rental used to be $3.50 per film.

          In Slovak the parish church records are called matriky.
          Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
          Sobás^ení = Marriages
          Zomrelí = Deaths
          Only the film headers are written in Slovak.

          The R.C. parish church records are written in Latin and Hungarian.
          The G.C. parish church records are written in Latin, Hungarian, and
          Ruthenian.

          Ruthenian/Rusnak/Carpatho-Rusyn.
          Rusyns speak 'po nashemu'; their language is similar to Ukrainian
          and also uses the Cyrillic alphabet, but the Latin alphabet has also
          been used, especially in Slovakia.
          Ruthenian is similar to Ukrainian.

          How are you ?

          Hogy Van ? Hungarian (Non-Slavic)

          Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

          Jak se máte ? Czech

          Jak sie masz ? Polish

          R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
          (yah k s p r á v ee )

          In Hungarian the matriky are titled Anyakönyvek.
          Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

          In Latin the matriky are titled Matricula.
          Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
          Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
          Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

          For examples of parish church record format try URL below.
          Church Record Translations

          http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//

          Frank K