Re: [S-R] Fenicin

  • cfpoirier
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
      wrote:
      > Are you in touch with Barbara Olexa at bolexa@i... who is also
      > researching the Fenicin family? She indicates they were from
      Bohemia.
      > Her message is on "Czeching Out Our Ancestors."
      >
      > Janet

      Janet,

      No I haven't. I think she may be a distant cousin of mine. I know
      my gf had a relative named David Olexa who also lived in Canada.
      I'll have to check this out.

      Thanks,
      Carolyn
    • cfpoirier
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
        > wrote:
        > > Are you in touch with Barbara Olexa at bolexa@i... who is also
        > > researching the Fenicin family? She indicates they were from
        > Bohemia.
        > > Her message is on "Czeching Out Our Ancestors."
        > >
        > > Janet
        > >

        > Janet,
        >
        > No I haven't. I think she may be a distant cousin of mine. I
        know
        > my gf had a relative named David Olexa who also lived in Canada.
        > I'll have to check this out.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Carolyn

        Well, I just tried to send Barbara an e-mail and it bounced back.
        She must have changed her e-mail address.

        Carolyn
      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
          Dear Carolyn,

          That message was from 1999. I found two more recent e-mail addresses for
          her, from 2001. You could try them: bolexa@... and bolexa@....

          Good luck. Janet

          > > researching the Fenicin family? She indicates they were from
          > Bohemia.
          > > Her message is on "Czeching Out Our Ancestors."
          > >
          > > Janet
          > >

          > Janet,
          >
          > No I haven't. I think she may be a distant cousin of mine. I
          know
          > my gf had a relative named David Olexa who also lived in Canada.
          > I'll have to check this out.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Carolyn

          Well, I just tried to send Barbara an e-mail and it bounced back.
          She must have changed her e-mail address.

          Carolyn

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
            I think the "fenicin" that you found in Norwegian? must be their
            rendering of the word Phoenician. The ancient Phoenicians were famous
            for the very expensive purple/indigo dye they produced from local
            shellfish. Byzantine emperors dressed in clothes dyed purple to show
            their wealth and status, thus our expression "born to the purple."
            I'm sure it has nothing to do with your surname though, and that your
            ancestors weren't Phoenicians - just a coincidence in sound!

            Joe

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
              Janet,

              Thanks. I tried those addresses and they bounced back as well.
              Barbara must change her e-mail address often!

              Carolyn

              wrote:
              > Dear Carolyn,
              >
              > That message was from 1999. I found two more recent e-mail
              addresses for
              > her, from 2001. You could try them: bolexa@c... and bolexa@t...
              >
              > Good luck. Janet

            • Frank
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 3, 2004
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...>
                > wrote:
                > > > Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but
                > am
                > > > not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have
                stumbled
                > > on
                > > > an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
                > > > name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from
                > Juskova
                > > > Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. >
                > >
                > > The Slovakia telephone directory lists under Juskova Vol'a (Sk)
                > > formerly Volyna/Wolyna and Jószefvölgy (H) meaning Joseph's
                > > valley in Magyar.
                > >
                > > Related surnames (2) Fenic^ín and (1) Olexa and (4) Lukac^in.
                > > What was Joseph's religion ?
                > >

                > > Frank K
                >

                > Frank,
                >
                > My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was Greek Catholic.
                >
                > Here's a little more on the family tree I know about:
                >
                > Joseph Fenicin, born Jan 10, 1903, died May, 1987
                > parents were Michael Fenicin and Maria Lazko (Lasko?)
                > emigrated from Juskova Vola in the 1920's to Ontario and then
                > Montreal, Canada
                >
                > married Maria Slavik, born June 25, 1911, died August, 2002
                > parents were George Slavik and Anna Macik from Ubrez
                > married in Canada. Maria was originally RC.
                >
                > Joseph's siblings were Michael and Stephen. I believe there may
                > have been other mother(s) of these siblings.
                >
                > Maria's siblings were George, Anna (emigrated to Canada), Michael,
                > Elizabeth, and Jan.
                >

                > Other side of the family:
                >
                > grandfather Jan Behun, born Feb, 1900, died Jan, 1984
                > emigrated from Malcice in the 1920's to Canada. worked for 12 years
                > in Canada before bringing over my grandmother and their 2 children.
                >
                > grandmother Anna Micak, born June 8, 1902, died May, 1997. Came to
                > Montreal to join Jan in 1937. Was from Budkovce. Both Jan and Anna
                > were RC.
                >
                > I know my mom has some old photos and documents from Behun/Micak. I
                > know very little else about Fenicin/Slavik.
                >
                > I know both families were peasants who spoke a dialect of Slovak. I
                > can understand (but not speak) some of their Slovak, but understand
                > very little of "true" Slovak. This would make it very difficult to
                > correspond with any relatives found.
                >
                > Carolyn

                Carolyn,

                The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
                of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

                These microfilms available through local LDS Family History Centers
                (FHC) serve as large resource of genealogical information for North
                Americans with surnames from Slovakia.

                Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

                LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

                Hungarian English
                rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
                ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
                izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

                LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1789-1899) for
                Juskova Vol'a .
                Listed under Vechec.

                LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1819-1830) for
                Juskova Vol'a .
                Listed under C^emerné.

                Ubres/Ubrezs formerly located in Ung megye, Hungary is now U'brez^,
                Slovakia.
                LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish records (1805-1937) for U'brez^.
                Telephone directory list 1 surname Slavík under U'brez^.

                Malcza/Málca formerly located in Zemplén megye, Hungary is now
                Malc^ice, Slovakia.
                LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1788-1895)
                and G.C. parish church records (1827-1913)
                Listed under Markovce.
                2 surnames Behunc^ík and 1 surname Behun are listed under Malc^ice in
                telephone directory.

                S^aris^ské Budovce was later called Vel'ké Bukovce.
                LDS-Mormons filmed its G.C. parish church records (1851-1895)
                LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1704-1897)
                Listed under Stropkov.

                Frank K
              • cfpoirier
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 3, 2004
                  Frank,

                  Thanks so much for all of this. We have an LDS church just a few
                  miles away. I'll have to see what I can do, and bring my Mom with
                  me as she can read Slovak.

                  Carolyn

                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 4, 2004
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
                    > Frank,
                    >
                    > Thanks so much for all of this. We have an LDS church just a few
                    > miles away. I'll have to see what I can do, and bring my Mom with
                    > me as she can read Slovak.
                    >
                    > Carolyn

                    Carloyn

                    You will need to order the specific microfilms through the local
                    FHC and wait for them to arrive from the LDS FHL in SLC Utah.
                    Rental used to be $3.50 per film.

                    In Slovak the parish church records are called matriky.
                    Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
                    Sobás^ení = Marriages
                    Zomrelí = Deaths
                    Only the film headers are written in Slovak.

                    The R.C. parish church records are written in Latin and Hungarian.
                    The G.C. parish church records are written in Latin, Hungarian, and
                    Ruthenian.

                    Ruthenian/Rusnak/Carpatho-Rusyn.
                    Rusyns speak 'po nashemu'; their language is similar to Ukrainian
                    and also uses the Cyrillic alphabet, but the Latin alphabet has also
                    been used, especially in Slovakia.
                    Ruthenian is similar to Ukrainian.

                    How are you ?

                    Hogy Van ? Hungarian (Non-Slavic)

                    Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

                    Jak se máte ? Czech

                    Jak sie masz ? Polish

                    R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
                    (yah k s p r á v ee )

                    In Hungarian the matriky are titled Anyakönyvek.
                    Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

                    In Latin the matriky are titled Matricula.
                    Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
                    Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
                    Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

                    For examples of parish church record format try URL below.
                    Church Record Translations

                    http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//

                    Frank K