Re: Fenicin

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but am
      > not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have stumbled
      on
      > an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
      > name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from Juskova
      > Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. I don't think this
      was
      > a very common name. I have found something that appears to be
      > Norweigian comparing the word "fenicin" to "indidgopurpur". My
      > dismal lack of Norweigian has me at a disadvantage, but I think
      > maybe this refers to fenicin being another word for the english
      word
      > indigo. Any ideas on whether this makes Fenicin a Norweigian name?

      > I really don't know how my family would have ended up in Slovakia
      > from Norway. I know that at least as far back as my ggf was born
      in
      > Slovakia.
      >
      > Carolyn

      Carolyn

      The Slovakia telephone directory lists under Juskova Vol'a (Sk)
      formerly Volyna/Wolyna and Jószefvölgy (H) meaning Joseph's
      valley in Magyar.

      Related surnames (2) Fenic^ín and (1) Olexa and (4) Lukac^in.
      What was Joseph's religion ?

      How are you ? English

      Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

      Hogy Van ? Hungarian

      Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

      Jak se máte ? Czech

      Hvordan står det til ? Norwegian
      Hvordan står det til med deg ? [informal]

      Frank K
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...>
        wrote:
        > > Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but am
        > > not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have stumbled
        > on
        > > an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
        > > name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from Juskova
        > > Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. I don't think this
        > was
        > > a very common name. I have found something that appears to be
        > > Norweigian comparing the word "fenicin" to "indidgopurpur". My
        > > dismal lack of Norweigian has me at a disadvantage, but I think
        > > maybe this refers to fenicin being another word for the english
        > word
        > > indigo. Any ideas on whether this makes Fenicin a Norweigian
        name?

        > > I really don't know how my family would have ended up in Slovakia
        > > from Norway. I know that at least as far back as my ggf was born
        > in
        > > Slovakia.

        Fennoskandia is a blue quartz (mineral) (hence its color related to
        plant genus Indigofera used for blue dyes) and found in Nordic regions
        of Europe.
        So you can ignore the Norwegian reference.

        Olexa is Czech feminine gender form of male given name Alexander.
        And also a Czech surname.

        > Carolyn
        >
        > The Slovakia telephone directory lists under Juskova Vol'a (Sk)
        > formerly Volyna/Wolyna and Jószefvölgy (H) meaning Joseph's
        > valley in Magyar.
        >
        > Related surnames (2) Fenic^ín and (1) Olexa and (4) Lukac^in.
        > What was Joseph's religion ?
        >

        > How are you ? English
        >
        > Wie geht es Ihnen ? German
        >
        > Hogy Van ? Hungarian
        >
        > Ako sa más^ ? Slovak
        >
        > Jak se máte ? Czech
        >
        > Hvordan står det til ? Norwegian

        > Frank K
      • cfpoirier
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...>
          wrote:
          > > Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but
          am
          > > not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have stumbled
          > on
          > > an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
          > > name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from
          Juskova
          > > Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. >
          >
          > The Slovakia telephone directory lists under Juskova Vol'a (Sk)
          > formerly Volyna/Wolyna and Jószefvölgy (H) meaning Joseph's
          > valley in Magyar.
          >
          > Related surnames (2) Fenic^ín and (1) Olexa and (4) Lukac^in.
          > What was Joseph's religion ?
          >

          > Frank K

          Frank,

          My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was Greek Catholic.

          Here's a little more on the family tree I know about:

          Joseph Fenicin, born Jan 10, 1903, died May, 1987
          parents were Michael Fenicin and Maria Lazko (Lasko?)
          emigrated from Juskova Vola in the 1920's to Ontario and then
          Montreal, Canada

          married Maria Slavik, born June 25, 1911, died August, 2002
          parents were George Slavik and Anna Macik from Ubrez
          married in Canada. Maria was originally RC.

          Joseph's siblings were Michael and Stephen. I believe there may
          have been other mother(s) of these siblings.

          Maria's siblings were George, Anna (emigrated to Canada), Michael,
          Elizabeth, and Jan.

          Other side of the family:

          grandfather Jan Behun, born Feb, 1900, died Jan, 1984
          emigrated from Malcice in the 1920's to Canada. worked for 12 years
          in Canada before bringing over my grandmother and their 2 children.

          grandmother Anna Micak, born June 8, 1902, died May, 1997. Came to
          Montreal to join Jan in 1937. Was from Budkovce. Both Jan and Anna
          were RC.

          I know my mom has some old photos and documents from Behun/Micak. I
          know very little else about Fenicin/Slavik.

          I know both families were peasants who spoke a dialect of Slovak. I
          can understand (but not speak) some of their Slovak, but understand
          very little of "true" Slovak. This would make it very difficult to
          correspond with any relatives found.

          Carolyn
        • cfpoirier
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc"
            <konekta@n...> wrote:
            > Dear Carolyn,
            > A strange coincidence;
            > I have a surname Fenyko from Ruska Volova.
            > Fenicin or Fenycin would mean " from the Fenyko family"
            > Please, just forget Norway. This is all wrong. You can not look to
            translate surnames with modern tools.
            > Regards,
            > Vladimir

            Vladimir,

            Thanks for responding. I'm glad to get that Norway thing cleared
            up. I had never heard anything in my family about Norway, but with
            the spelling being the same, I was taken by surprise. Are Ruska
            Volova and Juskova Vola anywhere near each other?

            Carolyn
          • cfpoirier
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
              wrote:
              > Are you in touch with Barbara Olexa at bolexa@i... who is also
              > researching the Fenicin family? She indicates they were from
              Bohemia.
              > Her message is on "Czeching Out Our Ancestors."
              >
              > Janet

              Janet,

              No I haven't. I think she may be a distant cousin of mine. I know
              my gf had a relative named David Olexa who also lived in Canada.
              I'll have to check this out.

              Thanks,
              Carolyn
            • cfpoirier
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
                > wrote:
                > > Are you in touch with Barbara Olexa at bolexa@i... who is also
                > > researching the Fenicin family? She indicates they were from
                > Bohemia.
                > > Her message is on "Czeching Out Our Ancestors."
                > >
                > > Janet
                > >

                > Janet,
                >
                > No I haven't. I think she may be a distant cousin of mine. I
                know
                > my gf had a relative named David Olexa who also lived in Canada.
                > I'll have to check this out.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Carolyn

                Well, I just tried to send Barbara an e-mail and it bounced back.
                She must have changed her e-mail address.

                Carolyn
              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                  Dear Carolyn,

                  That message was from 1999. I found two more recent e-mail addresses for
                  her, from 2001. You could try them: bolexa@... and bolexa@....

                  Good luck. Janet

                  > > researching the Fenicin family? She indicates they were from
                  > Bohemia.
                  > > Her message is on "Czeching Out Our Ancestors."
                  > >
                  > > Janet
                  > >

                  > Janet,
                  >
                  > No I haven't. I think she may be a distant cousin of mine. I
                  know
                  > my gf had a relative named David Olexa who also lived in Canada.
                  > I'll have to check this out.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Carolyn

                  Well, I just tried to send Barbara an e-mail and it bounced back.
                  She must have changed her e-mail address.

                  Carolyn

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                    I think the "fenicin" that you found in Norwegian? must be their
                    rendering of the word Phoenician. The ancient Phoenicians were famous
                    for the very expensive purple/indigo dye they produced from local
                    shellfish. Byzantine emperors dressed in clothes dyed purple to show
                    their wealth and status, thus our expression "born to the purple."
                    I'm sure it has nothing to do with your surname though, and that your
                    ancestors weren't Phoenicians - just a coincidence in sound!

                    Joe

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                      Janet,

                      Thanks. I tried those addresses and they bounced back as well.
                      Barbara must change her e-mail address often!

                      Carolyn

                      wrote:
                      > Dear Carolyn,
                      >
                      > That message was from 1999. I found two more recent e-mail
                      addresses for
                      > her, from 2001. You could try them: bolexa@c... and bolexa@t...
                      >
                      > Good luck. Janet

                    • Frank
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 3, 2004
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > > Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but
                        > am
                        > > > not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have
                        stumbled
                        > > on
                        > > > an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
                        > > > name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from
                        > Juskova
                        > > > Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. >
                        > >
                        > > The Slovakia telephone directory lists under Juskova Vol'a (Sk)
                        > > formerly Volyna/Wolyna and Jószefvölgy (H) meaning Joseph's
                        > > valley in Magyar.
                        > >
                        > > Related surnames (2) Fenic^ín and (1) Olexa and (4) Lukac^in.
                        > > What was Joseph's religion ?
                        > >

                        > > Frank K
                        >

                        > Frank,
                        >
                        > My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was Greek Catholic.
                        >
                        > Here's a little more on the family tree I know about:
                        >
                        > Joseph Fenicin, born Jan 10, 1903, died May, 1987
                        > parents were Michael Fenicin and Maria Lazko (Lasko?)
                        > emigrated from Juskova Vola in the 1920's to Ontario and then
                        > Montreal, Canada
                        >
                        > married Maria Slavik, born June 25, 1911, died August, 2002
                        > parents were George Slavik and Anna Macik from Ubrez
                        > married in Canada. Maria was originally RC.
                        >
                        > Joseph's siblings were Michael and Stephen. I believe there may
                        > have been other mother(s) of these siblings.
                        >
                        > Maria's siblings were George, Anna (emigrated to Canada), Michael,
                        > Elizabeth, and Jan.
                        >

                        > Other side of the family:
                        >
                        > grandfather Jan Behun, born Feb, 1900, died Jan, 1984
                        > emigrated from Malcice in the 1920's to Canada. worked for 12 years
                        > in Canada before bringing over my grandmother and their 2 children.
                        >
                        > grandmother Anna Micak, born June 8, 1902, died May, 1997. Came to
                        > Montreal to join Jan in 1937. Was from Budkovce. Both Jan and Anna
                        > were RC.
                        >
                        > I know my mom has some old photos and documents from Behun/Micak. I
                        > know very little else about Fenicin/Slavik.
                        >
                        > I know both families were peasants who spoke a dialect of Slovak. I
                        > can understand (but not speak) some of their Slovak, but understand
                        > very little of "true" Slovak. This would make it very difficult to
                        > correspond with any relatives found.
                        >
                        > Carolyn

                        Carolyn,

                        The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
                        of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

                        These microfilms available through local LDS Family History Centers
                        (FHC) serve as large resource of genealogical information for North
                        Americans with surnames from Slovakia.

                        Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

                        LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

                        Hungarian English
                        rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
                        ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
                        izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

                        LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1789-1899) for
                        Juskova Vol'a .
                        Listed under Vechec.

                        LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1819-1830) for
                        Juskova Vol'a .
                        Listed under C^emerné.

                        Ubres/Ubrezs formerly located in Ung megye, Hungary is now U'brez^,
                        Slovakia.
                        LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish records (1805-1937) for U'brez^.
                        Telephone directory list 1 surname Slavík under U'brez^.

                        Malcza/Málca formerly located in Zemplén megye, Hungary is now
                        Malc^ice, Slovakia.
                        LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1788-1895)
                        and G.C. parish church records (1827-1913)
                        Listed under Markovce.
                        2 surnames Behunc^ík and 1 surname Behun are listed under Malc^ice in
                        telephone directory.

                        S^aris^ské Budovce was later called Vel'ké Bukovce.
                        LDS-Mormons filmed its G.C. parish church records (1851-1895)
                        LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1704-1897)
                        Listed under Stropkov.

                        Frank K
                      • cfpoirier
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 3, 2004
                          Frank,

                          Thanks so much for all of this. We have an LDS church just a few
                          miles away. I'll have to see what I can do, and bring my Mom with
                          me as she can read Slovak.

                          Carolyn

                        • Frank
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 4, 2004
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
                            > Frank,
                            >
                            > Thanks so much for all of this. We have an LDS church just a few
                            > miles away. I'll have to see what I can do, and bring my Mom with
                            > me as she can read Slovak.
                            >
                            > Carolyn

                            Carloyn

                            You will need to order the specific microfilms through the local
                            FHC and wait for them to arrive from the LDS FHL in SLC Utah.
                            Rental used to be $3.50 per film.

                            In Slovak the parish church records are called matriky.
                            Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
                            Sobás^ení = Marriages
                            Zomrelí = Deaths
                            Only the film headers are written in Slovak.

                            The R.C. parish church records are written in Latin and Hungarian.
                            The G.C. parish church records are written in Latin, Hungarian, and
                            Ruthenian.

                            Ruthenian/Rusnak/Carpatho-Rusyn.
                            Rusyns speak 'po nashemu'; their language is similar to Ukrainian
                            and also uses the Cyrillic alphabet, but the Latin alphabet has also
                            been used, especially in Slovakia.
                            Ruthenian is similar to Ukrainian.

                            How are you ?

                            Hogy Van ? Hungarian (Non-Slavic)

                            Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

                            Jak se máte ? Czech

                            Jak sie masz ? Polish

                            R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
                            (yah k s p r á v ee )

                            In Hungarian the matriky are titled Anyakönyvek.
                            Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

                            In Latin the matriky are titled Matricula.
                            Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
                            Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
                            Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

                            For examples of parish church record format try URL below.
                            Church Record Translations

                            http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//

                            Frank K