Fenicin

  • cfpoirier
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but am
      not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have stumbled on
      an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
      name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from Juskova
      Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. I don't think this was
      a very common name. I have found something that appears to be
      Norweigian comparing the word "fenicin" to "indidgopurpur". My
      dismal lack of Norweigian has me at a disadvantage, but I think
      maybe this refers to fenicin being another word for the english word
      indigo. Any ideas on whether this makes Fenicin a Norweigian name?
      I really don't know how my family would have ended up in Slovakia
      from Norway. I know that at least as far back as my ggf was born in
      Slovakia.

      Carolyn
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2004
        Are you in touch with Barbara Olexa at bolexa@... who is also
        researching the Fenicin family? She indicates they were from Bohemia.
        Her message is on "Czeching Out Our Ancestors."

        Janet

        Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but am
        not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have stumbled on
        an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
        name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from Juskova
        Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. I don't think this was
        a very common name. I have found something that appears to be
        Norweigian comparing the word "fenicin" to "indidgopurpur". My
        dismal lack of Norweigian has me at a disadvantage, but I think
        maybe this refers to fenicin being another word for the english word
        indigo. Any ideas on whether this makes Fenicin a Norweigian name?
        I really don't know how my family would have ended up in Slovakia
        from Norway. I know that at least as far back as my ggf was born in
        Slovakia.

        Carolyn

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2004
          Dear Carolyn,
          A strange coincidence;
          I have a surname Fenyko from Ruska Volova.
          Fenicin or Fenycin would mean " from the Fenyko family"
          Please, just forget Norway. This is all wrong. You can not look to translate surnames with modern tools.
          Regards,
          Vladimir

          Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but am
          not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have stumbled on
          an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
          name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from Juskova
          Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. I don't think this was
          a very common name. I have found something that appears to be
          Norweigian comparing the word "fenicin" to "indidgopurpur". My
          dismal lack of Norweigian has me at a disadvantage, but I think
          maybe this refers to fenicin being another word for the english word
          indigo. Any ideas on whether this makes Fenicin a Norweigian name?
          I really don't know how my family would have ended up in Slovakia
          from Norway. I know that at least as far back as my ggf was born in
          Slovakia.

          Carolyn

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          http://www.eset.sk

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
            > Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but am
            > not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have stumbled
            on
            > an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
            > name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from Juskova
            > Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. I don't think this
            was
            > a very common name. I have found something that appears to be
            > Norweigian comparing the word "fenicin" to "indidgopurpur". My
            > dismal lack of Norweigian has me at a disadvantage, but I think
            > maybe this refers to fenicin being another word for the english
            word
            > indigo. Any ideas on whether this makes Fenicin a Norweigian name?

            > I really don't know how my family would have ended up in Slovakia
            > from Norway. I know that at least as far back as my ggf was born
            in
            > Slovakia.
            >
            > Carolyn

            Carolyn

            The Slovakia telephone directory lists under Juskova Vol'a (Sk)
            formerly Volyna/Wolyna and Jószefvölgy (H) meaning Joseph's
            valley in Magyar.

            Related surnames (2) Fenic^ín and (1) Olexa and (4) Lukac^in.
            What was Joseph's religion ?

            How are you ? English

            Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

            Hogy Van ? Hungarian

            Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

            Jak se máte ? Czech

            Hvordan står det til ? Norwegian
            Hvordan står det til med deg ? [informal]

            Frank K
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...>
              wrote:
              > > Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but am
              > > not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have stumbled
              > on
              > > an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
              > > name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from Juskova
              > > Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. I don't think this
              > was
              > > a very common name. I have found something that appears to be
              > > Norweigian comparing the word "fenicin" to "indidgopurpur". My
              > > dismal lack of Norweigian has me at a disadvantage, but I think
              > > maybe this refers to fenicin being another word for the english
              > word
              > > indigo. Any ideas on whether this makes Fenicin a Norweigian
              name?

              > > I really don't know how my family would have ended up in Slovakia
              > > from Norway. I know that at least as far back as my ggf was born
              > in
              > > Slovakia.

              Fennoskandia is a blue quartz (mineral) (hence its color related to
              plant genus Indigofera used for blue dyes) and found in Nordic regions
              of Europe.
              So you can ignore the Norwegian reference.

              Olexa is Czech feminine gender form of male given name Alexander.
              And also a Czech surname.

              > Carolyn
              >
              > The Slovakia telephone directory lists under Juskova Vol'a (Sk)
              > formerly Volyna/Wolyna and Jószefvölgy (H) meaning Joseph's
              > valley in Magyar.
              >
              > Related surnames (2) Fenic^ín and (1) Olexa and (4) Lukac^in.
              > What was Joseph's religion ?
              >

              > How are you ? English
              >
              > Wie geht es Ihnen ? German
              >
              > Hogy Van ? Hungarian
              >
              > Ako sa más^ ? Slovak
              >
              > Jak se máte ? Czech
              >
              > Hvordan står det til ? Norwegian

              > Frank K
            • cfpoirier
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...>
                wrote:
                > > Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but
                am
                > > not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have stumbled
                > on
                > > an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
                > > name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from
                Juskova
                > > Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. >
                >
                > The Slovakia telephone directory lists under Juskova Vol'a (Sk)
                > formerly Volyna/Wolyna and Jószefvölgy (H) meaning Joseph's
                > valley in Magyar.
                >
                > Related surnames (2) Fenic^ín and (1) Olexa and (4) Lukac^in.
                > What was Joseph's religion ?
                >

                > Frank K

                Frank,

                My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was Greek Catholic.

                Here's a little more on the family tree I know about:

                Joseph Fenicin, born Jan 10, 1903, died May, 1987
                parents were Michael Fenicin and Maria Lazko (Lasko?)
                emigrated from Juskova Vola in the 1920's to Ontario and then
                Montreal, Canada

                married Maria Slavik, born June 25, 1911, died August, 2002
                parents were George Slavik and Anna Macik from Ubrez
                married in Canada. Maria was originally RC.

                Joseph's siblings were Michael and Stephen. I believe there may
                have been other mother(s) of these siblings.

                Maria's siblings were George, Anna (emigrated to Canada), Michael,
                Elizabeth, and Jan.

                Other side of the family:

                grandfather Jan Behun, born Feb, 1900, died Jan, 1984
                emigrated from Malcice in the 1920's to Canada. worked for 12 years
                in Canada before bringing over my grandmother and their 2 children.

                grandmother Anna Micak, born June 8, 1902, died May, 1997. Came to
                Montreal to join Jan in 1937. Was from Budkovce. Both Jan and Anna
                were RC.

                I know my mom has some old photos and documents from Behun/Micak. I
                know very little else about Fenicin/Slavik.

                I know both families were peasants who spoke a dialect of Slovak. I
                can understand (but not speak) some of their Slovak, but understand
                very little of "true" Slovak. This would make it very difficult to
                correspond with any relatives found.

                Carolyn
              • cfpoirier
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc"
                  <konekta@n...> wrote:
                  > Dear Carolyn,
                  > A strange coincidence;
                  > I have a surname Fenyko from Ruska Volova.
                  > Fenicin or Fenycin would mean " from the Fenyko family"
                  > Please, just forget Norway. This is all wrong. You can not look to
                  translate surnames with modern tools.
                  > Regards,
                  > Vladimir

                  Vladimir,

                  Thanks for responding. I'm glad to get that Norway thing cleared
                  up. I had never heard anything in my family about Norway, but with
                  the spelling being the same, I was taken by surprise. Are Ruska
                  Volova and Juskova Vola anywhere near each other?

                  Carolyn
                • cfpoirier
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > Are you in touch with Barbara Olexa at bolexa@i... who is also
                    > researching the Fenicin family? She indicates they were from
                    Bohemia.
                    > Her message is on "Czeching Out Our Ancestors."
                    >
                    > Janet

                    Janet,

                    No I haven't. I think she may be a distant cousin of mine. I know
                    my gf had a relative named David Olexa who also lived in Canada.
                    I'll have to check this out.

                    Thanks,
                    Carolyn
                  • cfpoirier
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@c...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Are you in touch with Barbara Olexa at bolexa@i... who is also
                      > > researching the Fenicin family? She indicates they were from
                      > Bohemia.
                      > > Her message is on "Czeching Out Our Ancestors."
                      > >
                      > > Janet
                      > >

                      > Janet,
                      >
                      > No I haven't. I think she may be a distant cousin of mine. I
                      know
                      > my gf had a relative named David Olexa who also lived in Canada.
                      > I'll have to check this out.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Carolyn

                      Well, I just tried to send Barbara an e-mail and it bounced back.
                      She must have changed her e-mail address.

                      Carolyn
                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                        Dear Carolyn,

                        That message was from 1999. I found two more recent e-mail addresses for
                        her, from 2001. You could try them: bolexa@... and bolexa@....

                        Good luck. Janet

                        > > researching the Fenicin family? She indicates they were from
                        > Bohemia.
                        > > Her message is on "Czeching Out Our Ancestors."
                        > >
                        > > Janet
                        > >

                        > Janet,
                        >
                        > No I haven't. I think she may be a distant cousin of mine. I
                        know
                        > my gf had a relative named David Olexa who also lived in Canada.
                        > I'll have to check this out.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Carolyn

                        Well, I just tried to send Barbara an e-mail and it bounced back.
                        She must have changed her e-mail address.

                        Carolyn

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                          I think the "fenicin" that you found in Norwegian? must be their
                          rendering of the word Phoenician. The ancient Phoenicians were famous
                          for the very expensive purple/indigo dye they produced from local
                          shellfish. Byzantine emperors dressed in clothes dyed purple to show
                          their wealth and status, thus our expression "born to the purple."
                          I'm sure it has nothing to do with your surname though, and that your
                          ancestors weren't Phoenicians - just a coincidence in sound!

                          Joe

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 2, 2004
                            Janet,

                            Thanks. I tried those addresses and they bounced back as well.
                            Barbara must change her e-mail address often!

                            Carolyn

                            wrote:
                            > Dear Carolyn,
                            >
                            > That message was from 1999. I found two more recent e-mail
                            addresses for
                            > her, from 2001. You could try them: bolexa@c... and bolexa@t...
                            >
                            > Good luck. Janet

                          • Frank
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 3, 2004
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
                              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@w...> wrote:
                              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > > Hi everyone. I've been "lurking" on this board for months, but
                              > am
                              > > > not quite sure how much time I have to research. I have
                              stumbled
                              > > on
                              > > > an interesting reference doing a search on my maiden
                              > > > name, "Fenicin". My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was from
                              > Juskova
                              > > > Vola, and emigrated to Canada in the 1920's. >
                              > >
                              > > The Slovakia telephone directory lists under Juskova Vol'a (Sk)
                              > > formerly Volyna/Wolyna and Jószefvölgy (H) meaning Joseph's
                              > > valley in Magyar.
                              > >
                              > > Related surnames (2) Fenic^ín and (1) Olexa and (4) Lukac^in.
                              > > What was Joseph's religion ?
                              > >

                              > > Frank K
                              >

                              > Frank,
                              >
                              > My grandfather, Joseph Fenicin, was Greek Catholic.
                              >
                              > Here's a little more on the family tree I know about:
                              >
                              > Joseph Fenicin, born Jan 10, 1903, died May, 1987
                              > parents were Michael Fenicin and Maria Lazko (Lasko?)
                              > emigrated from Juskova Vola in the 1920's to Ontario and then
                              > Montreal, Canada
                              >
                              > married Maria Slavik, born June 25, 1911, died August, 2002
                              > parents were George Slavik and Anna Macik from Ubrez
                              > married in Canada. Maria was originally RC.
                              >
                              > Joseph's siblings were Michael and Stephen. I believe there may
                              > have been other mother(s) of these siblings.
                              >
                              > Maria's siblings were George, Anna (emigrated to Canada), Michael,
                              > Elizabeth, and Jan.
                              >

                              > Other side of the family:
                              >
                              > grandfather Jan Behun, born Feb, 1900, died Jan, 1984
                              > emigrated from Malcice in the 1920's to Canada. worked for 12 years
                              > in Canada before bringing over my grandmother and their 2 children.
                              >
                              > grandmother Anna Micak, born June 8, 1902, died May, 1997. Came to
                              > Montreal to join Jan in 1937. Was from Budkovce. Both Jan and Anna
                              > were RC.
                              >
                              > I know my mom has some old photos and documents from Behun/Micak. I
                              > know very little else about Fenicin/Slavik.
                              >
                              > I know both families were peasants who spoke a dialect of Slovak. I
                              > can understand (but not speak) some of their Slovak, but understand
                              > very little of "true" Slovak. This would make it very difficult to
                              > correspond with any relatives found.
                              >
                              > Carolyn

                              Carolyn,

                              The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
                              of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

                              These microfilms available through local LDS Family History Centers
                              (FHC) serve as large resource of genealogical information for North
                              Americans with surnames from Slovakia.

                              Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

                              LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

                              Hungarian English
                              rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
                              ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
                              izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

                              LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1789-1899) for
                              Juskova Vol'a .
                              Listed under Vechec.

                              LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1819-1830) for
                              Juskova Vol'a .
                              Listed under C^emerné.

                              Ubres/Ubrezs formerly located in Ung megye, Hungary is now U'brez^,
                              Slovakia.
                              LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish records (1805-1937) for U'brez^.
                              Telephone directory list 1 surname Slavík under U'brez^.

                              Malcza/Málca formerly located in Zemplén megye, Hungary is now
                              Malc^ice, Slovakia.
                              LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1788-1895)
                              and G.C. parish church records (1827-1913)
                              Listed under Markovce.
                              2 surnames Behunc^ík and 1 surname Behun are listed under Malc^ice in
                              telephone directory.

                              S^aris^ské Budovce was later called Vel'ké Bukovce.
                              LDS-Mormons filmed its G.C. parish church records (1851-1895)
                              LDS-Mormons filmed its R.C. parish church records (1704-1897)
                              Listed under Stropkov.

                              Frank K
                            • cfpoirier
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 3, 2004
                                Frank,

                                Thanks so much for all of this. We have an LDS church just a few
                                miles away. I'll have to see what I can do, and bring my Mom with
                                me as she can read Slovak.

                                Carolyn

                              • Frank
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 4, 2004
                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "cfpoirier" <mandcp@k...> wrote:
                                  > Frank,
                                  >
                                  > Thanks so much for all of this. We have an LDS church just a few
                                  > miles away. I'll have to see what I can do, and bring my Mom with
                                  > me as she can read Slovak.
                                  >
                                  > Carolyn

                                  Carloyn

                                  You will need to order the specific microfilms through the local
                                  FHC and wait for them to arrive from the LDS FHL in SLC Utah.
                                  Rental used to be $3.50 per film.

                                  In Slovak the parish church records are called matriky.
                                  Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
                                  Sobás^ení = Marriages
                                  Zomrelí = Deaths
                                  Only the film headers are written in Slovak.

                                  The R.C. parish church records are written in Latin and Hungarian.
                                  The G.C. parish church records are written in Latin, Hungarian, and
                                  Ruthenian.

                                  Ruthenian/Rusnak/Carpatho-Rusyn.
                                  Rusyns speak 'po nashemu'; their language is similar to Ukrainian
                                  and also uses the Cyrillic alphabet, but the Latin alphabet has also
                                  been used, especially in Slovakia.
                                  Ruthenian is similar to Ukrainian.

                                  How are you ?

                                  Hogy Van ? Hungarian (Non-Slavic)

                                  Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

                                  Jak se máte ? Czech

                                  Jak sie masz ? Polish

                                  R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
                                  (yah k s p r á v ee )

                                  In Hungarian the matriky are titled Anyakönyvek.
                                  Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

                                  In Latin the matriky are titled Matricula.
                                  Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
                                  Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
                                  Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

                                  For examples of parish church record format try URL below.
                                  Church Record Translations

                                  http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//

                                  Frank K