LDS Films

  • Maureen Pulignano
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 28, 2000
      I hope that someone on the list can help me with an LDS film question. I
      am searching in eastern Slovakia, hoping to find a record to confirm my
      grandmother's origins in Dlhe nad Cirochou. I ordered the following two
      films, based upon the search for that village that I did on the LDS
      computer:

      1,793,886 & 1,793,887 -- Both films were titled "Cirkevna Matrika
      1783-1895"

      I reviewed the films yesterday and did not find any record that appeared
      close to what I'm looking for -- in fact, I didn't see that any records
      from Dlhe were on the films. At the end of the second film it said, "To
      Be Continued". I noted that these records were filmed in 1993. Have they
      not yet filmed in Dlhe? Is there another film in the series?

      My local volunteers are wonderful -- but not always able to answer
      questions like these. I would really appreciate some advice from
      listmembers who are well-versed in the LDS library holdings.

      Thanks,
      Maureen
    • Maura Petzolt
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 29, 2000
        Usually if a film has "to be continued" on the very end, it then just
        starts again on the next # in the sequence. I noted you had ordered two
        consecutive film #s, check what is on the next film # using the "search
        by film/fiche number" utility in the FHC catalog, either online or on
        the CD.

        As a volunteer at our FHC, that's what I'd tell you in person anyway! :)

        Remember tho that the Slovak Republic prohibits anything 1900 + from
        being filmed for privacy reasons. I'm finding that many of the films cut
        off a bit before then, usually around 1895. My theory is that the next
        church book in the sequences had the records from 1895 and included
        1900, and therefore wasn't allowed to be filmed.... but I do -not- know
        that for sure.

        I'll have to put that question on my list of things to ask my "source"
        at the main library in SLC the next time I talk to him.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 29, 2000
          At 07:34 PM 1/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
          >From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)

          >Remember tho that the Slovak Republic prohibits anything 1900 + from
          >being filmed for privacy reasons. I'm finding that many of the films cut
          >off a bit before then, usually around 1895. My theory is that the next
          >church book in the sequences had the records from 1895 and included
          >1900, and therefore wasn't allowed to be filmed.... but I do -not- know
          >that for sure.

          I'm finding several parish records well past that, in fact the marriage
          records for Makov go into the middle of 1950! I believe 1950 was when the
          communist gov't took all the parish books to a central archives or something?

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • NBENYO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 29, 2000
            Yes I have also found some village microfilms include the 1920's and 1930's.
            Not the one I need though

            Nick
          • Maura Petzolt
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 29, 2000
              Most countries, and some of the US states, have a "75 year privacy
              rule" for births, deaths and marriages...... so if you've found some
              that "slipped through" you're one of the lucky ones I think!!

              I do know from my friends who are LDS and are working on filming records
              both in the US and overseas, that they will film whatever the countries
              etc let them... which can sometimes be over and above the privacy laws,
              and sometimes much less. They do what they can.

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
              sabinov@...
              Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 29, 2000
                I found information through the 1940's in Opatka -- not one of my villages,
                unfortunately.

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 30, 2000
                  It seems that Slovakia permitted the filming of records
                  past 1900 for other than the Roman Catholic Church. I have
                  seen Non-Roman Cath go to the 1950 time frame. Not in
                  all cases. Seems to have been loose enforcement of those
                  records.

                  Regards Andy V...

                  "J. Michutka" wrote:

                  > From: "J. Michutka" <jmm@...>
                  >
                  > At 07:34 PM 1/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
                  > >From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
                  >
                  > >Remember tho that the Slovak Republic prohibits anything 1900 + from
                  > >being filmed for privacy reasons. I'm finding that many of the films cut
                  > >off a bit before then, usually around 1895. My theory is that the next
                  > >church book in the sequences had the records from 1895 and included
                  > >1900, and therefore wasn't allowed to be filmed.... but I do -not- know
                  > >that for sure.
                  >
                  > I'm finding several parish records well past that, in fact the marriage
                  > records for Makov go into the middle of 1950! I believe 1950 was when the
                  > communist gov't took all the parish books to a central archives or something?
                  >
                  > Julie Michutka
                  > jmm@...

                  > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
                  > Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.

                  Regards

                  Andy Verostko

                  averostko@...

                  http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko
                • jajames@cloudnet.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                    I have ordered the LDS films for Ilava, but am wondering if I will be
                    able to use them as they are in Latin and Hungarian. Will the names:
                    Mutnansky, Suchma, Mollner still be spelled much the same way as
                    this, or will I not be able to recognize them?

                    Any helpful hints for examining these records will be appreciated.

                    Thank you,
                    Judy
                  • J. Michutka
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                      Recognizing names will have as much (or more) to do with handwriting as
                      with spelling!

                      Be prepared for spelling variations, especially when the records switch
                      between Latin and Hungarian. When in doubt, copy the entry--either make a
                      photocopy, or try to duplicate the handwriting of the entry; sometimes
                      months later you will be able to go back to that dubious entry and figure
                      out the handwriting at last, and either fit it into your family tree, or
                      know that you can discard it. I can't tell you how many times this has
                      happened in my own digging through records.

                      There are websites that give translations for Latin terms and Hungarian
                      terms, and a website that gives a little lesson on reading old handwriting;
                      all of which I had bookmarked but now cannot find in my bookmarks list :(
                      Perhaps someone else can supply these, or perhaps Maura's webpage has
                      links to them.

                      Good luck!

                      Julie Michutka
                      jmm@...

                      At 01:17 PM 10/2/00 -0000, you wrote:
                      >I have ordered the LDS films for Ilava, but am wondering if I will be
                      >able to use them as they are in Latin and Hungarian. Will the names:
                      >Mutnansky, Suchma, Mollner still be spelled much the same way as
                      >this, or will I not be able to recognize them?
                      >
                      >Any helpful hints for examining these records will be appreciated.
                      >
                      >Thank you,
                      >Judy

                    • Judy/Dick James
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                        I would like to thank everyone for their reassurances and helpful hints for
                        viewing the LDS films. I am looking forward to my first experience with this
                        method of research. Will let everyone know if I have any success.

                        Judy
                        > Recognizing names will have as much (or more) to do with handwriting as
                        > with spelling!
                        >
                        > Be prepared for spelling variations, especially when the records switch
                        > between Latin and Hungarian. When in doubt, copy the entry--either make a
                        > photocopy, or try to duplicate the handwriting of the entry; sometimes
                        > months later you will be able to go back to that dubious entry and figure
                        > out the handwriting at last, and either fit it into your family tree, or
                        > know that you can discard it. I can't tell you how many times this has
                        > happened in my own digging through records.
                        >
                        > There are websites that give translations for Latin terms and Hungarian
                        > terms, and a website that gives a little lesson on reading old
                        handwriting;
                        > all of which I had bookmarked but now cannot find in my bookmarks list :(
                        > Perhaps someone else can supply these, or perhaps Maura's webpage has
                        > links to them.
                        >
                        > Good luck!
                        >
                        > Julie Michutka
                        > jmm@...
                        >

                        > At 01:17 PM 10/2/00 -0000, you wrote:
                        > >I have ordered the LDS films for Ilava, but am wondering if I will be
                        > >able to use them as they are in Latin and Hungarian. Will the names:
                        > >Mutnansky, Suchma, Mollner still be spelled much the same way as
                        > >this, or will I not be able to recognize them?
                        > >
                        > >Any helpful hints for examining these records will be appreciated.
                        > >
                        > >Thank you,
                        > >Judy

                      • Bruce Bagin
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                          I was astounded by the excellent handwriting from 1862; the latin was easy
                          to read and I had truble with the months that were written in Hungarian. I
                          could recognize the names of my great grandparents with little difficulty.
                          My wife, who was readng the Italian (Sicilian) microfilm had more difficulty
                          because of the tight writing and the reader magnification, but nevertheless,
                          she found most of her ancestors. From Millazzo. Sicily. Curro' and
                          Pirelli from Palermo, Sicily

                          Good luck

                          Its a great experience as you think of a time in the 1800's in small
                          villages.

                          bb----- Original Message -----

                        • ISvabek@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                            I have looked at the Church Records from Ilava and the spelling of my
                            grandparents name were different at times. Some records were a little hard
                            to read but I found a number of my grandparents siblings that I didn"t know
                            about. It was great. Good luck

                            I Svabek
                          • Andrea Vangor
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                              I wish I had time to relate a story here about a piece of detective work I
                              just did with the 1910 CT census (that's right, one of the ones that are NOT
                              indexed, but I found my people!). Meanwhile, I heartily agree with Julie,
                              and will add this advice:
                              make a copy with your mystery name and leave it where you can glance at it
                              occasionally. After peering at funny names and strange writing long enough,
                              your subconscious mind takes over and does its own analytical process.
                              Don't try to read it, just keep glancing at it from time to time over a
                              period of days.

                              Practically anything yields to this method in my experience.

                              > Recognizing names will have as much (or more) to do with handwriting as
                              > with spelling!
                              >
                              > Be prepared for spelling variations, especially when the records switch
                              > between Latin and Hungarian. When in doubt, copy the entry--either make a
                              > photocopy, or try to duplicate the handwriting of the entry; sometimes
                              > months later you will be able to go back to that dubious entry and figure
                              > out the handwriting at last, and either fit it into your family tree, or
                              > know that you can discard it. I can't tell you how many times this has
                              > happened in my own digging through records.
                              >
                              > There are websites that give translations for Latin terms and Hungarian
                              > terms, and a website that gives a little lesson on reading old
                              handwriting;
                              > all of which I had bookmarked but now cannot find in my bookmarks list :(
                              > Perhaps someone else can supply these, or perhaps Maura's webpage has
                              > links to them.
                              >
                              > Good luck!
                              >
                              > Julie Michutka
                              > jmm@...
                              >

                              > At 01:17 PM 10/2/00 -0000, you wrote:
                              > >I have ordered the LDS films for Ilava, but am wondering if I will be
                              > >able to use them as they are in Latin and Hungarian. Will the names:
                              > >Mutnansky, Suchma, Mollner still be spelled much the same way as
                              > >this, or will I not be able to recognize them?
                              > >
                              > >Any helpful hints for examining these records will be appreciated.
                              > >
                              > >Thank you,
                              > >Judy

                            • Kelly D. Motichek
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
                                This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method of viewing these?
                                John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find it quite as exciting as I would. :)

                                Thanks,
                                KM

                              • John M,
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
                                  At 09:01 PM 6/25/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                                  >This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am
                                  >allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS
                                  >films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method
                                  >of viewing these?
                                  >John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I
                                  >may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find
                                  >it quite as exciting as I would. :)
                                  >
                                  >Thanks,

                                  Kelly,

                                  There are LDS Family History Centers all over the country and in other
                                  parts of the world. You can request a film at your local FHC and for a fee
                                  of about $3 to 4$ they will order it from Salt Lake for you to view at
                                  their location using their microfilm readers. It's been a while but I
                                  believe the first rental lasts is for two weeks, the second for about 30
                                  days, and after the third rental, the film stays at the FHC and there is no
                                  additional charge. You can find the nearest FHC at this site.

                                  http://www.genhomepage.com/FHC/fhc.html

                                  Call them and talk to them about the details of renting the films. There
                                  are some variations between FHC in the rental and retention process.

                                  John M.
                                • Nick Holcz
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
                                    Nothing silly about that, you don't have to go to Utah.Your local branch of
                                    the LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints) will have a Family
                                    History Centre give them a call and find out how to order films you want. I
                                    live in Australia and that advice applies here as well. My wife would love
                                    to go to Utah.

                                    Regards
                                    Nick

                                    At 09:01 PM 25/06/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                                    >This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am
                                    >allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS
                                    >films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method
                                    >of viewing these?
                                    >John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I
                                    >may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find
                                    >it quite as exciting as I would. :)
                                    >
                                    >Thanks,
                                    >KM
                                  • Kelly D. Motichek
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 25, 2003
                                      Thank you Nick and John. This makes a lot more sense. I couldn't imagine that all of these people were flying
                                      to Utah. I live in New Orleans, LA and that would be quite a weekend trip. Thanks to John's link I see that there
                                      is a center about 15 miles from me.
                                      Kinda funny Nick, my wife would love to go to Australia. :)

                                      Thanks again,
                                      KM
                                      Nothing silly about that, you don't have to go to Utah.Your local branch of
                                      the LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints) will have a Family
                                      History Centre give them a call and find out how to order films you want. I
                                      live in Australia and that advice applies here as well. My wife would love
                                      to go to Utah.

                                      Regards
                                      Nick

                                      At 09:01 PM 25/06/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                                      >This is probably a silly question but as a beginner I hope that I am
                                      >allowed a couple. :) I keep reading posts about people viewing the LDS
                                      >films. Are all of you making trips to Utah or is there an easier method
                                      >of viewing these?
                                      >John suggested that I look at the records for Petrovice and Bytca but I
                                      >may never have time to go to Utah. I don't think that my wife would find
                                      >it quite as exciting as I would. :)
                                      >
                                      >Thanks,
                                      >KM

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    • Carl
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                                        Does anyone know if the LDS has stopped renting films that contain records shorter than 100 years old. In the past, I rented films that went well into the 1900s but recently when I tried to order a couple of films that had some recent images (1930s) at the end of the films. They told me that those films were not available. I'm wondering if the problem they had with the online films with more recent records, that had to be removed, has caused them to stop renting these films as well. Does anyone know or has anyone recently rented a film like that?
                                        CK
                                      • John
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011

                                          Welcome back! People have asked about you over the years.
                                        • Ron
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                                            John,

                                            It looks as if Carl tied his 2011 inquiry into a thread started in year 2000 that ran until 2003.

                                            Yes, I am sure we would all be thrilled to hear from Maura!

                                            For all new people, Maura Petzolt founded this Yahoo Group.

                                            Ron

                                            > Welcome back! People have asked about you over the years.

                                          • Michael Mojher
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 10, 2011
                                              Carl,
                                              I can’t give you the definitive answer. Nonetheless, if you have been with group for any length of time you may remember that all of the online Slovak records were removed. FHL was told they had to remove any records that broke the 100 year rule. Because of that I would not be surprised that they had to do the same for the films.
                                              I would suggest looking at the online records if they cover your village. I noticed that after the expunging they weren’t very through. I still had records for my village going into the 1920’s.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 11, 2011
                                                Michael,
                                                Yes, I suspect that they may have applied the cut off to the films like they had to with the online records as I said in my first posting.

                                                I am interested in the films for the villages of Rozlozna (Rozlozsnya) and Rostar(Rester) for their Lutheran Churches. There are no on-line films for these towns. However in the FHC catalog, several films are listed and said to be available at FHC libraries. But when I tried to order the films (which you can now do online), I got a message back that these films were not available. No reason was given. That is why I was asking if anyone else has had this problem recently.
                                                CK

                                                > Carl,
                                                > I can’t give you the definitive answer. Nonetheless, if you have been with group for any length of time you may remember that all of the online Slovak records were removed. FHL was told they had to remove any records that broke the 100 year rule. Because of that I would not be surprised that they had to do the same for the films.
                                                > I would suggest looking at the online records if they cover your village. I noticed that after the expunging they weren’t very through. I still had records for my village going into the 1920’s.

                                              • Michael Mojher
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 11, 2011
                                                  Carl,
                                                  I see the FHL Film # 1981423 Item 1-4 is the Rostar Evangelical records and Item 5-6 is for Rozlozna. Film # 1981424 Item 1-2 is for Rozlozna. All I can suggest is to write the FHL and try to find out why these two rolls of film are not available.

                                                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                                                  > Carl,
                                                  > I can’t give you the definitive answer. Nonetheless, if you have been with group for any length of time you may remember that all of the online Slovak records were removed. FHL was told they had to remove any records that broke the 100 year rule. Because of that I would not be surprised that they had to do the same for the films.
                                                  > I would suggest looking at the online records if they cover your village. I noticed that after the expunging they weren’t very through. I still had records for my village going into the 1920’s.

                                                • cousinjanie1004
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Dec 14, 2011
                                                    WELCOME BACK, MAURA!!!
                                                    HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL!!