Religion Help

  • Gary Costel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2004
      I have a copy of the marriage record for my g-g-grandparents from 1867.
      The religion for my g-g-gf was listed as RK (Roman Catholic), however,
      for my g-g-gm, it is spelled something like Helvconf. I have no idea
      what that could possibly mean.

      I can scan in the image and email to anyone who could offer any help.

      Thanks, in advance!

      Gary Costel

      Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky,
      Bockaj, Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Jurkiv, Kalman,
      Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Petrik, Ribar, Stefancin

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2004
        Helv. Conf. means the Helvetic Conference of the Evangelical (Lutheran)
        Church. Most of the Lutheran churches, however, I think belong to the
        Augsburg Conference. It looks like the family may have caved in to the
        strong pressure to abandon their Lutheran faith. Nevertheless, the
        Lutherans still have a significant presence in Slovakia, and in some regions
        are in the majority. Janet

        I have a copy of the marriage record for my g-g-grandparents from 1867.
        The religion for my g-g-gf was listed as RK (Roman Catholic), however,
        for my g-g-gm, it is spelled something like Helvconf. I have no idea
        what that could possibly mean.

        I can scan in the image and email to anyone who could offer any help.

        Thanks, in advance!

        Gary Costel

        Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky,
        Bockaj, Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Jurkiv, Kalman,
        Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Petrik, Ribar, Stefancin

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 29, 2004
          That should be Helvetic Confession, not Conference. And yes, Helvetic means
          Swiss. Janet

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2004
            THANK YOU to all who responded to my inquiry!!!! Thanks, too, for the
            brief History lesson about this religion, as well. Very interesting to
            know, and I am sure it will be helpful to know this the further back I
            go in my research.

            Gary Costel

            Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky,
            Bockaj, Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Jurkiv, Kalman,
            Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Petrik, Ribar, Stefancin

          • Frank
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2004
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@c...>
              wrote:
              > THANK YOU to all who responded to my inquiry!!!! Thanks, too, for
              the
              > brief History lesson about this religion, as well. Very interesting
              > know, and I am sure it will be helpful to know this the further back
              > go in my research.
              >

              > Gary Costel

              Some abbreviations used for various denominationsin parish church
              records:
              Hungarian English
              rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
              ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
              izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

              http://mb-soft.com/believe/txh/helvconf.htm

              http://kostohryz.tripod.com/genealogy/background.html

              Frank K
              > Researching the following (Slovakia) surnames: Bakajsa, Bereczky,
              > Bockaj, Chwerchak, Cossel, Costel, Hacala, Hanchak, Jurkiv, Kalman,
              > Katrinak, Lahvardi, Murajda, Ondik, Petrik, Ribar, Stefancin

            • Joe Mrnka
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 30, 2004
                Vladimir,

                please tell me more. There was a story passed down in my
                family on my dad's mother's side, that they were
                descendants from people fleeing religious persecution. The
                "Steinhubels" settled in the area of Modra. Is there any
                literature in Slovak or English that would give a more in
                depth account?
                Thank you so much for your always informative posts to the
                list.

                Joe

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • Frank
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Joe Mrnka <jmrnka@y...> wrote:
                  > Vladimir,
                  >
                  > please tell me more. There was a story passed down in my
                  > family on my dad's mother's side, that they were
                  > descendants from people fleeing religious persecution. The
                  > "Steinhubels" settled in the area of Modra. Is there any
                  > literature in Slovak or English that would give a more in
                  > depth account?
                  > Thank you so much for your always informative posts to the
                  > list.
                  >
                  > Joe

                  Joe,

                  There is also a town called Steinhübel, Kreis Neisse, located in
                  Silesia, Germany. However it was a R.C. parish.

                  Steinhübel (umlaut u) would be the German surname spelling meaning
                  Stein = stone + affix hübel.

                  http://www.iarelative.com /search/sea0599c.htm

                  The Slovakia telephone directory lists 4 surnames under Modra in
                  western Slovakia.
                  2 spelled Steinhübel, 1 Steinhubel, and 1 S^teinhu"bel (Slovak version
                  of German surname)
                  And 1 Steinhübel listed under Pezinok.

                  http://www.tourist-channel.sk/modra/indexen.html

                  Frank K