Translation help for town name (German to Czech)

  • Daniela Hesse
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 16, 2004
      Hello,

      I have a town name (in german) where the father of a friend of mine lived in
      his first years of live. We want to visit this town in autumn and want to
      know the Czech name of it.

      German name : Dobrenz

      It is a town (perhaps very small) near Iglau (german) / Jihlava (Czech).

      Thank you all for your help.

      Bye,

      Daniela

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2004
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Daniela Hesse"
        <daniela.hesse@m...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >

        > I have a town name (in german) where the father of a friend of mine
        lived in
        > his first years of live. We want to visit this town in autumn and
        want to
        > know the Czech name of it.
        >

        > German name : Dobrenz
        >

        > It is a town (perhaps very small) near Iglau (german) / Jihlava
        (Czech).

        Daniela,

        1.
        Your German town of Dobrenz is called Dobr^enec in Czech.
        Located 57 miles (88 km) WNW of Praha in Czech Republic at geo
        coordinates 50 N 15 Lat and 13 E 15 Long.
        Other close village are Konice, Mas^tov, and Ne^mc^any.
        Each has its own church.

        2.
        Or the town located near Jihlava (Cz) Iglau (G) called Dobronin (Cz)
        and Dobrenz in German and located 68 miles SE of Praha geo
        coordinates 49 N 29 Lat and 15 E 40 Long.
        You will have to decide which town you are seeking ?
        In Moravia or Czech-Bohemia ?

        Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
        (10th century-1918) and part of the Österreichisch-ungarische
        Monarchie, or in English, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
        It was an Austrian Kronland (province)

        Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
        Mähren was an Austrian Crownland located East of Böhmen (Bohemia).
        Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
        Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a part
        of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
        (Austrian-Silesia).

        Frank K