RE: [S-R] Surnames -- Salaj and Pytlak

  • Peter Pikna
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2004
      Karen Salay 'karen_salay@...' searched the both surnames from
      Turzovka in the last year. She planned a trip to Slovakia during the last
      summer.

      Peter

      >From: "els1012" <els1012@...>
      >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [S-R] Surnames -- Salaj and Pytlak
      >Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:54:11 -0000
      >
      >I'm new to this group and understand that there is a book of Slovak
      >surnames. I would appreciate any help in translating my surname. It
      >also appears that it is not too common.
      >
      >My family name is Salaj. My grandmother's passport
      >is spelled Salajova (I assume to indicate the femine gender). Her
      >maiden name was Pytla'k.
      >
      >Thanks for your help -- Ed

      Zobrazenie stavu kontaktov - MSN Messenger http://www.msn.cz/precomessenger
    • Jan Horvatt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14, 2004
        Ahoj Zuzana: First of all thanks for writing but evidently there is some mistake. I did not mention either of the names that you have listed although there is a family that lives near me named Pytlak. I believe the name that I mentioned was Koresko formerly spelled Koreschko. My family name is Horvatt, which was originally spelled Horvat. This was the way that my Grandfather spelled it and my father added an extra "t" to distinguish it from my Grandfather who also had the same first name. The story goes that while working in the coal mines, there were three Frank Horvats. My GF kept the original, another Frank added an "h" and my father added the "t". Complicated isn't it. By the way I am learning the Slovak language. I signed on the a website but I am looking with someone to correspond with who could help me, do you know of anyone?

        D'akujem...Jan
        I just read your email about these names. This is really interesting. Last year I was a translator for a couple from CA that went to Slovakia to search for their relatives and they were mainly searching for Salaj, but if I remember correctly, there was name Pytlak in their family also...maybe you are related? :) I just thought that was interesting. We found some living relatives also (very old, but living :) )

        Zuzana

        els1012 <els1012@...> wrote:
        I'm new to this group and understand that there is a book of Slovak
        surnames. I would appreciate any help in translating my surname. It
        also appears that it is not too common.

        My family name is Salaj. My grandmother's passport
        is spelled Salajova (I assume to indicate the femine gender). Her
        maiden name was Pytla'k.

        Thanks for your help -- Ed

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." MATTHEW 5:42

        "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." MATTHEW 7:7

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jan Horvatt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14, 2004

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 14, 2004