A files for Kolina

  • junemckee
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 14, 2004
      I finally recieved my grandfathers alien registration form after a
      long 8 months of waiting. I wasn't totally sure as which part of
      Hungary he had come from, but on this form he put the city as Preso
      and the province as Sarisko? would it be Presov?

      If anybody would be able to help me I would really appreciate it,
      and thank you in advance.

      June McKee
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 15, 2004
        Congratulations!
        It would probably be PRESOV. That was in the old Hungary county of SAROS /
        SARIS, so it is consistent.
        Was it typewritten? If not, can you scan and post it?

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        I finally recieved my grandfathers alien registration form after a
        long 8 months of waiting. I wasn't totally sure as which part of
        Hungary he had come from, but on this form he put the city as Preso
        and the province as Sarisko? would it be Presov?

        If anybody would be able to help me I would really appreciate it,
        and thank you in advance.

        June McKee

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • June Mckee
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 15, 2004
          Yes Bill it is typewritten
          June

          I finally recieved my grandfathers alien registration form after a
          long 8 months of waiting. I wasn't totally sure as which part of
          Hungary he had come from, but on this form he put the city as Preso
          and the province as Sarisko? would it be Presov?

          If anybody would be able to help me I would really appreciate it,
          and thank you in advance.

          June McKee

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 15, 2004
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "June Mckee" <junemckee@y...>
            wrote:
            > Yes Bill it is typewritten
            > June

            June,

            Assuming your GF was from Pres^ov under what surname was the alien
            registration card ?
            I don't know his given name but perhaps his surname was not
            spelled Kolina ?

            In 1900 a János (John) Kolina , age 18 (b. abt. 1882), wheel wright
            maker,
            emigrated to his uncle's address ?
            John's Last Residence was listed as Eperics ? which was (actually)
            formerly Eperjes (H) and now Pres^ov (Sk)

            In 1902, a József (Joseph) Ku^lina , age 16 (b. about 1886),
            Slovak,emigrated to his brother's Kulina address in NYC.
            His Last Residence was listed as Efserics which was formerly Eperjes
            (H)now Pres^ov.
            This surname would be pron. Koolina.

            The Slovakia telephone directory lists a surname Koli'nova' (fem.
            gender) under Pres^ov.

            Frank K

            Service.

          • June Mckee
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 15, 2004
              Frank,
              the form says joseph kolina. I have also heard for a cousin before that she thought he came from Presov, so it could possibly be right.
              Assuming your GF was from Pres^ov under what surname was the alien
              registration card ?
              I don't know his given name but perhaps his surname was not
              spelled Kolina ?

              In 1900 a János (John) Kolina , age 18 (b. abt. 1882), wheel wright
              maker,
              emigrated to his uncle's address ?
              John's Last Residence was listed as Eperics ? which was (actually)
              formerly Eperjes (H) and now Pres^ov (Sk)

              In 1902, a József (Joseph) Ku^lina , age 16 (b. about 1886),
              Slovak,emigrated to his brother's Kulina address in NYC.
              His Last Residence was listed as Efserics which was formerly Eperjes
              (H)now Pres^ov.
              This surname would be pron. Koolina.

              The Slovakia telephone directory lists a surname Koli'nova' (fem.
              gender) under Pres^ov.

              Frank K

              Service.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 16, 2004
                June,

                So we can discount any transcription error. Remember, you can never say
                never. It still may be in error, as our assumption of PRESOV may be.
                Are there any other documents which might collaborate this for you?
                I don't recall your objective, but I'd recommend your next step be to
                the FHC to order microfilm. The FHL has film for church records in
                Presov.

                Good job!

                Bill

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 16, 2004
                  Bill I dont really have any other documents saying where he came from other than the census and death certificate only saying Hungary. Even though the registration form is typed, whatever the last letter of the city was they wrote it making it Preso. possibly when it was photo copied it didnt come out clearly and they then wrote over it. Nothing else on the document has been hand written, all is typed. I can try to upload it but havent done that before but can give it a try.
                  I will order films from the LDS.

                  thanks for your help